AVS Forum banner

9121 - 9140 of 10003 Posts

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
After 450 hours with LG C9 55’ I noticed a magenta tint in between loading screens of Mario Kart 8. Its mostly on the left side of the TV.

I went through some of the videos on here and now I know it’s there it bothers me.

So, is it just a lottery to get one that doesn’t have uniformity issues in white screens? I am within return time with Costco and not sure I’m happy with that issue. Love the TV otherwise.

Any suggestions? I’ll try a post screens once it gets dark here.
Your set had that magenta tint from day 1. You just never noticed it and it won't go away. The problem is almost all OLEDs will have this tinting problem especially the 2019's. You can keep going back to Costco and see if you find one that's better but don't have the notion that you will find a set with zero tinting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lg cx 65"

I got an LG CX 65" from Best Buy Friday. I have over 54 hours on it and did one manual refresh. I have some banding, but I don't really notice it in content. The screenshots show a dark magenta color that really isn't that bad in person, it just appears darker. The camera also makes the bands more prominent. In person the 5% is much better looking. I have some dirty screen effect and some tinting along the left and top. Also on the bottom in the middle the screen appears darker on solid backgrounds. I am a gamer and have also watched Netflix and don't see any significant banding under normal circumstances, but during the OA and Marco I faintly saw edges of the lighter band in the middle of the screen. I'm not sure if I should exchange and possibly get something worse. I have a little over a week to return/exchange and I do have the 5 year protection plan. The TV was manufactured in Mexico this month (June). The first photo is 100% white, second and 3rd are 5% (#3 is lighter, but it more closely resembles what the bands look like in person), 10%, and finally 2 screenshots showing slightly darker colors along left. The right side may possibly be a little darker as well. I've seen some screens that look worse, but I've also seen some that look better. I've been browsing this forum for days but when it comes down to my TV, I still feel like I need some opinions.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got an LG CX 65" from Best Buy Friday. I have over 54 hours on it and did one manual refresh. I have some banding, but I don't really notice it in content. The screenshots show a dark magenta color that really isn't that bad in person, it just appears darker. The camera also makes the bands more prominent. In person the 5% is much better looking. I have some dirty screen effect and some tinting along the left and top. Also on the bottom in the middle the screen appears darker on solid backgrounds. I am a gamer and have also watched Netflix and don't see any significant banding under normal circumstances, but during the OA and Marco I faintly saw edges of the lighter band in the middle of the screen. I'm not sure if I should exchange and possibly get something worse. I have a little over a week to return/exchange and I do have the 5 year protection plan. The TV was manufactured in Mexico this month (June). The first photo is 100% white, second and 3rd are 5% (#3 is lighter, but it more closely resembles what the bands look like in person), 10%, and finally 2 screenshots showing slightly darker colors along left. The right side may possibly be a little darker as well. I've seen some screens that look worse, but I've also seen some that look better. I've been browsing this forum for days but when it comes down to my TV, I still feel like I need some opinions.
As a general rule of thumb if you cant see the tinting and banding in most content I would say its a potential keeper. The way I gauge banding is if its only visible in some torture scenes such as the Macrco Polo scene you may want to stick with it. With regards to tinting I think you chances are slim with finding a tint free panel and you could probably do way worse then what you currently have. If its only visible on pure white or some uniform colours again I would consider keeping it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm not sure how you can possibly make any judgements on the panel without viewing it in a totally dark room. If your picture is actually what your eyes are seeing with that light no matter where it's coming from, after one manual pixel refresh it is still that way i would return it. In all my years i've never seen a panel like that in a lit room, even a really broken set. Sorry.
Apologies for the really poor picture included in my previous post. It turns out the pic I took was done taken in night mode with an extended exposure time that make it look as if the room is not dark and actually does make the problem looks worse then it is. I did some testing again last night and tried to take some better quality photos too.

Now I finally had a bit of luck, to my amazement it looks like the manual pixel refresh actually did work its magic and clean the panel up significantly. I wasn't expecting that at all so pleased its managed to do some good. I have Included 5 - 20% grey scale images. I again have some bluish tint on the left side of the screen which is mostly visible on whites (visible on the 20% grey scale image). The blueish tint on the right hand side isn't as bad as it seems in the pic, as I cant even really see that when viewing with my eyes. I'm now starting to think this is a keeper. The panel has only had 10 hours so hoping it steadily improves over the first 200 hours.

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
Apologies for the really poor picture included in my previous post. It turns out the pic I took was done taken in night mode with an extended exposure time that make it look as if the room is not dark and actually does make the problem looks worse then it is. I did some testing again last night and tried to take some better quality photos too.

Now I finally had a bit of luck, to my amazement it looks like the manual pixel refresh actually did work its magic and clean the panel up significantly. I wasn't expecting that at all so pleased its managed to do some good. I have Included 5 - 20% grey scale images. I again have some bluish tint on the left side of the screen which is mostly visible on whites (visible on the 20% grey scale image). The blueish tint on the right hand side isn't as bad as it seems in the pic, as I cant even really see that when viewing with my eyes. I'm now starting to think this is a keeper. The panel has only had 10 hours so hoping it steadily improves over the first 200 hours.
Awesome, glad it worked out for you and youre happy! Im worried about running the manual pixel refresh, as I dont want to reduce panel brightness. Did you notice any changes in brightness after refresh?

Also, I realize i took mine in night mode too, ill retake tonight.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Awesome, glad it worked out for you and youre happy! Im worried about running the manual pixel refresh, as I dont want to reduce panel brightness. Did you notice any changes in brightness after refresh?

Also, I realize i took mine in night mode too, ill retake tonight.
I would say it looks the same if not better but this could be placebo effect. What I do know is that I used a couple of black level checkers after using the TV straight out of the box for 5 hours, and several black grades on both checker videos were not flashing. After the manual pixel refresh, and several extra hours of use all were flashing as expecting. If you don't have any reason run it I would leave it though.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I've never understood why LG doesn't put a giant red warning label right on the front of the screen warning people who unbox the TV that it ships in an "unfinished" state and requires a compensation cycle (auto or manual) before it will work as intended in terms of color accuracy and uniformity. They could also make it part of their guided setup procedure when you first tun on the TV. The very last step should be a disclaimer explaining this mandatory break-in process. Or even better, why not run that first compensation cycle at the factory before boxing it up? Really bizarre from a product design/marketing perspective and is probably costing them a large number of unnecessary returns.

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
I've never understood why LG doesn't put a giant red warning label right on the front of the screen warning people who unbox the TV that it ships in an "unfinished" state and requires a compensation cycle (auto or manual) before it will work as intended in terms of color accuracy and uniformity. They could also make it part of their guided setup procedure when you first tun on the TV. The very last step should be a disclaimer explaining this mandatory break-in process. Or even better, why not run that first compensation cycle at the factory before boxing it up? Really bizarre from a product design/marketing perspective and is probably costing them a large number of unnecessary returns.
Because the "masses" who buy this TV are not aware of any of these problems unless they are severe and the set needs to be returned anyway.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Because the "masses" who buy this TV are not aware of any of these problems unless they are severe and the set needs to be returned anyway.
I'm not even talking about defects. I'm talking about color and grayscale. Your average consumer who isn't an OLED expert will turn it on, put it into one of the presumed accurate picture modes and think they have a defective set due to the heavy blue tint and screwed up gamma response (producing an abnormally dark image with no shadow detail). How are they supposed to know the TV was shipped raw and needs 4 more hours in the oven to finish baking? Every other display tech on the market comes fully cooked and ready to eat right out of the box. :)

This is based on my out-of-box observations of many past OLEDs. I have not seen out-of-box results with whatever LG is shipping these days. Based on the comments posted here, it does't sound like things have changed and they are still shipping "unfinished" products requiring that initial compensation.

·
Registered
9,555 Posts
I'm not even talking about defects. I'm talking about color and grayscale. Your average consumer who isn't an OLED expert will turn it on, put it into one of the presumed accurate picture modes and think they have a defective set due to the heavy blue tint and screwed up gamma response (producing an abnormally dark image with no shadow detail). How are they supposed to know the TV was shipped raw and needs 4 more hours in the oven to finish baking? Every other display tech on the market comes fully cooked and ready to eat right out of the box. :)
That's an excellent way of putting it! If you want to start a campaign I'd support it :)

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I suspect the reason they don't do it at the factory is because having each set sitting there performing compensation would slow down production to a non-profitable level. In that case, they should include a note or disclaimer as I suggested to warn consumers of this unusual initial setup requirement.

It does make you wonder how they can perform proper QC or calibration on these sets without first running the automatic compensation.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Second 65CX, 60 hours on the panel, no manual pixel refresh run. How bad is this? Unfortunately I am out of the return period, but have the Best Buy warranty. How does this look? If it is bad, I can try and see if Best Buy will replace it or the panel under the warranty.

The banding is visible in the torture scenes as well as in dark games (the last of us 2)

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks. Previous panel didnt have tinting as bad, but did have a hard band slightly off center. Attached 5, 10, 20 and 100 pics.

Any chance this gets better as the panel ages to 100/200 hours?

Attachments

Reactions: Video Auteur

·
Premium Member
6,262 Posts
^that 5% is the killer, and if you can see it in content even worse. Try and return if possible.

Reactions: Black05Hemi

·
Registered
323 Posts
5% & 10% @ 140 hours. Do you think I should risk bringing it back for a new one?

For the record the 5% looks a bit worse on my iPhone camera than in person. It’s more of the typical slight darkness on the upper left.
Uniformity looks pretty good! Did you check for color staining on 100% white? If that looks good, I think you've got a keeper! :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Second 65CX, 60 hours on the panel, no manual pixel refresh run. How bad is this? Unfortunately I am out of the return period, but have the Best Buy warranty. How does this look? If it is bad, I can try and see if Best Buy will replace it or the panel under the warranty.

The banding is visible in the torture scenes as well as in dark games (the last of us 2)

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks. Previous panel didnt have tinting as bad, but did have a hard band slightly off center. Attached 5, 10, 20 and 100 pics.

Yep, Id check a full white screen and see what kind/strong tinting you have. From your grey scale pics it looks like you have some blue tint on the left, mine is similar to do that and is only visible on whites and some other colours if covering the whole screen i.e. yellow. You can also do some colour sweeps to check but your chances of getting a tint free panel are very very slim mate. I think you will most likely get a tv with some degree of banding and tinting. Question is how heavy are the bands, and what colour(s) tint your panel is suffering from. If it jus that bit on the left, I know you could do a lot worse as iv been through 4 panels.

Ill also post a full white screen of mine later just so you can compare.

·
Registered
685 Posts
5% & 10% @ 140 hours. Do you think I should risk bringing it back for a new one?

For the record the 5% looks a bit worse on my iPhone camera than in person. It’️s more of the typical slight darkness on the upper left.
Uniformity looks pretty good! Did you check for color staining on 100% white? If that looks good, I think you've got a keeper! /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
No tinting at all that I can see. I’m pretty quick to check that since I lived through a Sony XBR1 green blob issue years ago. It’s also way better than those pictures now. I Checked during the night and it was actually better. Maybe the light coming into the room made a difference on the 5% pictures.

I had a little DSE out the box but that cleared up. 10% and above is perfectly clear. 1 or 2 pixels won’t show deep green once in a while but you can’t see it unless your standing real close and waiting for it.

·
Registered
6,959 Posts

I'll bet you don't see that banding as bad in real life with that 5% and probably don't see it at all with content.

You need to realize every panel has some sort of tinting and banding. The people who say their panel is perfect either aren't seeing it or it's very slight but it's a fact with OLED technology right now. So it's always best to do one pixel refresh or maybe two during the 200 hr break in period and then watch content. If white snow scenes, hockey, earth tones, dark scenes look fine and nothing jumps out at you then you are fine. If you are going to put up test slides then be prepared to stress over your panel and maybe do several returns and spend a lot of time on this thread asking people what they think, which is so frustrating because your phone camera doesn't have the right exposure to show what your eyes see so the pictures will always look way worse than it really is. Some of these pictures are so bad that i've never ever seen any panel unless the set was really broken, look like them. You also have to use a reference PM like ISF Dark or Filmmaker with the default settings or no lower than 100 Nits to do any kind of evaluation. At the end of the day, you need to evaluate the entire set. Does it have a good black level? Any crushing, elevation, or just perfect? Do you have very slight tinting but more banding that's not noticeable except for certain short sequences on certain content? Do you have a bright panel? If you are not calibrating, how do the memory colors look? I'm not saying you can't get a near perfect panel but in reality there are very few and your chances of getting one by returning 10 sets for example is not high. If you can't deal with these issues then OLED is not for you and LCD has it's set of problems. Some day i hope QC and technology will advance to further minimize these issues. You just need to put everything in perspective.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'll bet you don't see that banding as bad in real life with that 5% and probably don't see it at all with content.

You need to realize every panel has some sort of tinting and banding. The people who say their panel is perfect either aren't seeing it or it's very slight but it's a fact with OLED technology right now. So it's always best to do one pixel refresh or maybe two during the 200 hr break in period and then watch content. If white snow scenes, hockey, earth tones, dark scenes look fine and nothing jumps out at you then you are fine. If you are going to put up test slides then be prepared to stress over your panel and maybe do several returns and spend a lot of time on this thread asking people what they think, which is so frustrating because your phone camera doesn't have the right exposure to show what your eyes see so the pictures will always look way worse than it really is. Some of these pictures are so bad that i've never ever seen any panel unless the set was really broken, look like them. You also have to use a reference PM like ISF Dark or Filmmaker with the default settings or no lower than 100 Nits to do any kind of evaluation. At the end of the day, you need to evaluate the entire set. Does it have a good black level? Any crushing, elevation, or just perfect? Do you have very slight tinting but more banding that's not noticeable except for certain short sequences on certain content? Do you have a bright panel? If you are not calibrating, how do the memory colors look? I'm not saying you can't get a near perfect panel but in reality there are very few and your chances of getting one by returning 10 sets for example is not high. If you can't deal with these issues then OLED is not for you and LCD has it's set of problems. Some day i hope QC and technology will advance to further minimize these issues. You just need to put everything in perspective.
Thanks, John. Above pics were taken in ISF dark, with bt1886 gamma and oled light at 35. I dont see any of the tinting thats shown in the 5% pic in anything (my eyes dont even see it when looking at the screen when the 5% slide was on) or even in full screen white/yellow color tests.

In real content I didnt notice any banding at all, except for a few days ago when I started playing the last of us 2, which is pretty much dark the entire game. I notice the bands if i turn the camera left or right slowly to look around.

After replacing the first CX, I told myself I wasnt going to run slides and look for problems (hence being out of the return period) and when I started playing The Last of Us 2 and thats when I saw it and decided to check out the slides.

From my untrained eyes, the panel is plenty bright (blinding in HDR in outdoor scenes) and havent notice any black level issues. Havent noticed any stuck pixels or anything either.

I ran another slide using a different video, and to be honest, this one is much more in line with what my eyes are seeing on the screen when I am physically looking at the slide.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to this, and for talking me off the ledge a bit. First OLED, coming from a QLED/LED my entire life before this. I think ill just keep it and wait for 200 hours and run a refresh. I think if I even mention replacing this TV, my wife will lose her mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
Thanks, John. Above pics were taken in ISF dark, with bt1886 gamma and oled light at 35. I dont see any of the tinting thats shown in the 5% pic in anything (my eyes dont even see it when looking at the screen when the 5% slide was on) or even in full screen white/yellow color tests.

In real content I didnt notice any banding at all, except for a few days ago when I started playing the last of us 2, which is pretty much dark the entire game. I notice the bands if i turn the camera left or right slowly to look around.

After replacing the first CX, I told myself I wasnt going to run slides and look for problems (hence being out of the return period) and when I started playing The Last of Us 2 and thats when I saw it and decided to check out the slides.

From my untrained eyes, the panel is plenty bright (blinding in HDR in outdoor scenes) and havent notice any black level issues. Havent noticed any stuck pixels or anything either.

I ran another slide using a different video, and to be honest, this one is much more in line with what my eyes are seeing on the screen.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to this, and for talking me off the ledge a bit. First OLED, coming from a QLED/LED my entire life before this. I think ill just keep it and wait for 200 hours and run a refresh. I think if I even mention replacing this TV, my wife will lose her mind.
OK so this slide looks more normal. You may not get much better than that. As i said you need to determine what's acceptable for your individual situation. Despite what we have known about banding in the past, I've seen many CX/Gx's banding improve, meaning get less noticeable to your eye over time and doing a pixel refresh can in some cases give you a higher peak luminance. The less noticeable banding can partially be due to you getting used to it but i have seen a couple of sets have a blotch that eventually went away. I spoke to LG about this but no one except LG display probably really knows the underlying technical reasoning.

The other thing you need to realize is a lot of banding on these sets is spread out like on yours vs sharp vertical jail bars which will make it less noticeable with content. I don't know if this is intentional or not but most of what i see is similar to your set.

9121 - 9140 of 10003 Posts