AVS Forum banner

9501 - 9520 of 9941 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I cant believe all these issues STILL. Will their EVER be a time we have 100% clean panels?
Never. I’m not a professional on this but read various OLED sites. AFAIK know some inconsistencies will arise due to the physical variations in the processes used to lay the patterns for the various organic material chemical layers.

Like any <100% successful process there is a compromise between yield and quality. It would be interesting if LG tried to sell say a “CX Premium” range alongside a “CX” range, the only difference being panel QC threshold. I guess they have decided not to for operational or commercial reasons. Am I right though some of the other users of these panels do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,513 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Never. I’m not a professional on this but read various OLED sites. AFAIK know some inconsistencies will arise due to the physical variations in the processes used to lay the patterns for the various organic material chemical layers.
It's a manufacturing flaw in the CVD process they use to deposit organic layers onto substrates. The mask used to deposit these layers lacks precision. But LGD thought when they started producing these panels that this level of QC was fit for consumption, after all they have had a monopoly all along in manufacturing consumer woled panels, had there been another player in the game things may possibly have been different. The move to 10.5G manufacturing has seen a delay, but 10.5G was always about improving yields and lowering costs, won't see an improvement to uniformity whenever 10.5G happens. Another disappointment far as oled panels go has been JOLED, they have been R&D'ing printed RGB panels since several years now and few years ago there were rumors that by 2020 they would be able to mass produce printed RGB oled panels, but didn't happen, they put out a 30-odd inch RGB oled panel but beyond that there's been nothing.
Far as the question of whether we'll ever see 100% clean woled panels from LGD, no i really don't think so. It's too late in the game now to be expecting that.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I was referring to panel settings. I've experimented with ISO, etc. on the cam but don't have any hard and fast rules.
It is worth to experiment with those settings and try to make the photos look exactly as they appear in the screen in real life.

I'm not familiar with that phone but if the camera is like in my iPhone, it could make the photos look worse than it really is, but that is something you need to verify and from what you said before I understood they looked pretty much as is really looks.

Some are more visible at higher versus lower IRE ranges. Since there are traces of one visible up to 20%, this means I'm bound to see at least a trace of it in the majority of material viewed.
So you see no traces above 20%. Not bad, I can see some traces (not dark bars or anything like that but some traces where those bands are in darker scenes) of them up to say 40-50% if I look hard enough. But mostly it is worse in 5% or under and from 10% starts to look considerably better. Then going towards 100% white there is one small few inch long darker shadow that looks like DSE in LCD. That is part of the dark band that can be seen in 5%. I try to convince myself they are there to make LCD owners feel better and even up the difference between OLED and LCD. :D

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
It's a manufacturing flaw in the CVD process they use to deposit organic layers onto substrates. The mask used to deposit these layers lacks precision. But LGD thought when they started producing these panels that this level of QC was fit for consumption, after all they have had a monopoly all along in manufacturing consumer woled panels, had there been another player in the game things may possibly have been different. The move to 10.5G manufacturing has seen a delay, but 10.5G was always about improving yields and lowering costs, won't see an improvement to uniformity whenever 10.5G happens. Another disappointment far as oled panels go has been JOLED, they have been R&D'ing printed RGB panels since several years now and few years ago there were rumors that by 2020 they would be able to mass produce printed RGB oled panels, but didn't happen, they put out a 30-odd inch RGB oled panel but beyond that there's been nothing.
Far as the question of whether we'll ever see 100% clean woled panels from LGD, no i really don't think so. It's too late in the game now to be expecting that.
***I believe banding, tinting, vignetting and burn in (although greatly minimized) are inherent in OLED technology. I'm not sure the manufacturing process can resolve this. That being said, there are many, many folks who love their OLED TV's AND have far less problems than others. LCD TV's have pretty much gotten rid of banding with FALD technology. But it still happens. And, of course, other folks will point out blooming, DSE, off angle viewing and black level inferiority to OLED sets.

Question: since LG is the only manufacturer of OLED panels that I know of - - how much can processing alleviate problems? I'm a big believer in Sony processing and the A8H has gotten rave reviews. Individual settings, at least in my experience, also can affect various uniformity issues. So - - if you can't build a perfect OLED panel - - can you process your way to that goal?

Reactions: seanbryan

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
***A couple of posts ago, I remarked on how great the LG 77" CX looked at my local Costco. Stunning colors with great depth and vividness. Coming from the LCD world, I also noticed that the LG CX was easier on my eyes. My eyes are quite sensitive to light having had lasik surgery when it was in its infancy. Now I know that what my eyes told me is correct! From Digital Trends:

"Can one kind of TV be healthier for you than another? If you believe that we need to be careful about our exposure to blue light, especially toward the evening, then the answer could be yes. Both OLED and LED TVs produce blue light, however, OLED TVs produce considerably less of it. LG claims its OLED panels only generate 34% blue light versus LED TV’s 64%. That stat has been independently verified and LG’s OLED panels have been given an Eye Comfort Display certification by TUV Rheinland, a standards organization based out of Germany."

·
Registered
77 Posts
Overall am very happy with my 55CX's panel uniformity. Some tint on white slides. Any thoughts, please? Good/bad/average?

Thanks

24A795F0-967B-4131-9B57-D2AFFC459369.jpeg
728CB59A-DDAB-4762-AC7B-39BFE97105BC.jpeg

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sorry to bump my own post. Any thoughts on this? Is it that terrible? :)
It looks alright, I have bits like that but its not noticeable even in white-ish content like snow fields and winter sports. How’s your 5% grey?

·
Registered
77 Posts
It looks alright, I have bits like that but its not noticeable even in white-ish content like snow fields and winter sports. How’s your 5% grey?

Very happy with 5% grey. Let me know if you want me to take a pic. Not quite sure what cam settings I should use on my iPhone X, though. Can never seem to take a proper pic of the 5% grey slide. It's always way to blurry potentially due to the dark room.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Very happy with 5% grey. Let me know if you want me to take a pic. Not quite sure what cam settings I should use on my iPhone X, though. Can never seem to take a proper pic of the 5% grey slide. It's always way to blurry potentially due to the dark room.
You’ll find many pics in this thread done with iPhones (including mine with an 11 Pro in night mode). This tends to exaggerate any non-uniformity beyond what you can physically see. If you’re happy with it thought, that’s what matters!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hello,

I have noticed that when I'm watching 4K UHD Blu-ray movies on my LG OLED 55C7 TV, there is noise in the dark areas of the picture. If I pause the movie I can see that the noise is "moving", so it is not static. It's most clearly visible in the black letterbox areas, but can also be seen in the areas showing the actual movie image too. See photo below [1]. As can be seen there is also some weird graphical pattern looking like triangles (only seen sometimes).

When watching standard blu-ray movies, the problem does not occur and the letterbox area is instead completely black. I should also add that I recently had the panel in the replaced by LG Service due to burn-in in the original panel.

Now I just wonder if this is a known problem that can happen on LG OLED TVs? Or could the problem be caused by the Blu-ray player or AVR instead (Sony UBP-X700 4K UHD Blu-ray player and Marantz SR-7008 AVR)? All HW units have the latest FW versions.

Any thoughts or tips regarding what could cause this would be appreciated.

[1] Photo showing noise and weird triangular graphic in letterbox area:

·
Banned
40 Posts
AVS Forum
Search Community

OLED Technology and Flat Panels General
2020 LG OLED CX-GX Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-6) - No Price Talk
Jump to Latest
Follow
8281 - 8300 of 8642 Posts
415 of 433

Bill Sanders
Bill Sanders
·
Registered
Joined 1 mo ago · 102 Posts
#8,281 • 6 d ago
Dreamer2018 said:
I have 1 Gbps connection but if your iPhone reaches up to 329mbps , your tv should also be in this region.
Well if ur getting 239 using a gig WiFi and I’m reaching around 103 on 350mbps then we’re pretty much even.

Every device that Connects to my WiFi works well apart from the CX. My
PS4 hits around 213 wired and near on the same through WiFi. The TVs just a joke for connection. I reach 75 wired and 103 WiFi. Disappointment.
Reply Quote

Zooiez123
·
Registered
Joined Feb 19, 2019 · 124 Posts
#8,282 • 6 d ago
I returned the 85q90t for this beautiful LG 77CX and don’t regret a minute of it.
Reactions:jdm1979 and mrtickleuk
Reply Quote

JohnelleC
JohnelleC
·
Registered
Joined Sep 2, 2015 · 31 Posts
#8,283 • 6 d ago
D-Nice, Jrref, or anyone who may have some informative input on these issues, I would be very grateful. Just got a second 77" CX which is an exchange for one that had what looked like dirty screen effect throughout the entire panel. This one has the same dirty screen effect (not streaking) as the first model, but this one came out of the box crushing blacks SEVERELY, as well as appearing to have WAY too much red in everything. I have a calibrated A9G as a reference by eye and I had to turn the brightness up from 50 all the way to 58 in order to not be severely crushing blacks. Has anyone seen this? It is a July 2020 build. Also, can anyone else confirm a "dirty" 100% full white field on the later build panels? It almost looks like what some of the Kuros and Panasonic plasmas had due to an unevenly applied anti-reflective coating. It spans the entire panel and looks like both horizontal, and vertical lines from top to bottom all spaced about a half inch to an inch apart from one another. It can only be seen in content on panning sky scenes, and on scenes where most of the picture is white and panning (such as a wintery scene with panning to the left or right). I had a few earlier build 77" CX models, and an earler build 77" GX model that had NOTHING like this going on. It is most definitely not the usual streaking because it can not be seen at all on any IRE% of gray. As a matter of fact, the 2 late build 77" CX models I have had have literally no vertical streaking at all after a few Automatic compensation cycles. I encourage those of you that have time to bring up a 100% white field and follow your eyes up and down the panel (do some squats up close to it lol 😆) and see if you notice a horizontal dirty screen effect.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
It is worth to experiment with those settings and try to make the photos look exactly as they appear in the screen in real life.
Exactly is a far cry but approximately match is something I can do, and it hasn't been hard with this particular phone. shrug

So you see no traces above 20%. Not bad, I can see some traces (not dark bars or anything like that but some traces where those bands are in darker scenes) of them up to say 40-50% if I look hard enough. But mostly it is worse in 5% or under and from 10% starts to look considerably better. Then going towards 100% white there is one small few inch long darker shadow that looks like DSE in LCD. That is part of the dark band that can be seen in 5%. I try to convince myself they are there to make LCD owners feel better and even up the difference between OLED and LCD. :D
No traces? I'd have to verify that with the slides because I haven't checked above 20% in a long while.

·
Registered
9,513 Posts
Exactly is a far cry but approximately match is something I can do, and it hasn't been hard with this particular phone. shrug

No traces? I'd have to verify that with the slides because I haven't checked above 20% in a long while.
I often think that some people posting to this thread haven't SEEN above 20% in a long while too! :LOL:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I see. With my iPhone X taking a photo of 5% grey looks nothing what I see with my own eyes.

If you can resist the urge of testing that, just don't do it. Just forget about it. :)

I often think that some people posting to this thread haven't SEEN above 20% in a long while too! :LOL:
Yeah, I think so too. I mean these things seem to be full of faults you can find in various test patterns and I always wonder how I see many peoples commenting they see no faults above 5%, and even there they are so minor.:unsure: I guess it is more like matter of how hard you try, and oh boy I do that with my gear too often. But I have found few times some features I have discovered that I may be able to tolerate at some level. For example with my OLED is see fault rather rarely with real material and I consider myself lucky that mine has excellent uniformity in lighter image. I mean scenes with snow like the tests in the first page of this thread look very good. Problems with uniformity in lighter scenes are absolutely something I just cannot tolerate. I surely would like my panel without any faults but on the other hand I know it is hard or nearly impossible to get one and my previous attempts with other gear have rarely gotten me perfect unit, just usually different problems often more serious than originally.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've asked the below in several OLED threads but no one has been able to give me an answer yet. Maybe one of you OLED experts in this thread can help me with this. :)

What I'm dying to learn more about and what I really can't get my head round is what hardware issue could possibly manifest itself in artifacts such as colour banding or macro blocking. I've read a lot of posts about people wanting to replace their units due to the above issues. I'm no expert by any means but I wouldn't think that a defective panel would actually cause such artifacts. Panel defects typically result in uniformity issues such as vertical banding and tinting.

Could colour-banding, posterisation and macro-blocking be caused by a defective a9 chip? I say maybe but if the CPU was actually defective I wouldn't think you could even turn the TV on? Or at least you'd have a host of other issues with all the components controlled by the CPU - eg. defective HDMI ports etc.

I tend to believe that issues such as posterisation/colour-banding and macro-blocking all have to do with firmware and/or calibration issues rather than an actual hardware issue such as a defective panel.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here is a photo of my 2 week old LG CX65 inch TV. There is a black patch on the grey test in the top left as you can see. So far I have only noticed it specifically when looking for it in the Marco Polo scene,and on the youtube test videos but in general I dont see it. I also ran the pixel refresher at least 7+ times in the weeks I have had the TV and it seems to have improved... a bit...

2 Questions:
  • Is it worth returning it for another panel? I still have a week to decide.
  • Is running the Pixel refresher that often bad? I didn't that it could cause an issue until I just read about it... Oops :(

9501 - 9520 of 9941 Posts