AVS Forum banner

9741 - 9760 of 12771 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
The band on the right is it like a wide darker band when watching content? I have a 65in that has a few slim bands but a 3-4in wide band on the left that is very obvious on mine when watching normal content. I have 200hrs and ran 2 manual refreshes. I know the camera is exaggerating the picture, but my panel did not change much at all in the 200hrs. I ordered another 65in. Hopefully I get an acceptable one.
That panel looks like 2 of my panels that I returned and number 3 has about 4-5 faint bands that are rarely seen in content but no black bands like the 2 I had before.
The strange thing is that so many panels look like that, 2 very visible band with black areas in those 2 places on the left and right and one of my panels that I returned had that horizontal line too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That panel looks like 2 of my panels that I returned and number 3 has about 4-5 faint bands that are rarely seen in content but no black bands like the 2 I had before.
The strange thing is that so many panels look like that, 2 very visible band with black areas in those 2 places on the left and right and one of my panels that I returned had that horizontal line too.
yeah its unfortunate that the panel is like that. I noticed the left and right darker area within the first hour of using the tv. they have not gotten any better. I ordered another set. will be here Saturday. Hoping to get a better one.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The band on the right is it like a wide darker band when watching content? I have a 65in that has a few slim bands but a 3-4in wide band on the left that is very obvious on mine when watching normal content. I have 200hrs and ran 2 manual refreshes. I know the camera is exaggerating the picture, but my panel did not change much at all in the 200hrs. I ordered another 65in. Hopefully I get an acceptable one.
Yes, that is correct. I actually had the larger black blobs your screenshot shows in a more apparent fashion, but those faded with the manual pixel refresh. The jail bars that my banding has turned into is very apparent with specific content. For example, when watching Raised by Wolves on HBO Max, I found it rather obvious in many of the darker scenes. The dark band presents itself more often than the rest of the banding, but all bands are still apparent on 10-15% grey slides. At this point, this is my second 77" and I don't really want to risk panel lottery again. I've been trying very hard to not notice the bands and just enjoy the content. So much of the picture, minus occasional DSE in bright content, looks phenomenal that I'd hate to order another unit only for it to be even worse.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, that is correct. I actually had the larger black blobs your screenshot shows in a more apparent fashion, but those faded with the manual pixel refresh. The jail bars that my banding has turned into is very apparent with specific content. For example, when watching Raised by Wolves on HBO Max, I found it rather obvious in many of the darker scenes. The dark band presents itself more often than the rest of the banding, but all bands are still apparent on 10-15% grey slides. At this point, this is my second 77" and I don't really want to risk panel lottery again. I've been trying very hard to not notice the bands and just enjoy the content. So much of the picture, minus occasional DSE in bright content, looks phenomenal that I'd hate to order another unit only for it to be even worse.
The black areas on my 2 earlier panels didn't change abit after 200+ hours and several automatic refreshes and some manual refreshes.
My current panel is far from perfect but alot better than the 2 earlier panels so I will keep it because I don't dare enter panel lottery again.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Hi All

New to this, so excuse the dumb questions, just trying to understand.

What are the expectations here? I ask, because I just don't see any perfect TV.

I did the tests that were recommended. At 5% I can see very slight banding(1 or two stripes). I had to walk up to the TV real close to even see it. The solid colors and increased grey's looked pretty good, the yellow had SOME slight bands like the grey, nothing crazy. Like the grey, I had to almost stand on top of the TV to even see it.

I just think it would be nuts for me to take a mounted 77 inch CX I just bought and keep swapping it, in hopes of a "perfect" panel that does not exist.

Now I do get the people that swap the ones that show a crazy amount of banding and blobs, and/or it showing up in content.

From my view we have two camps here. The ones with real issues that truly need a panel swap, and others I call the nitpickers "OMG, a faint band, I have swapped 4 panels already!"

Am I dead wrong on this? What is considered excessive banding?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Eep,looks kind
of wonky on the 5%. If you can see it with content, i would not tolerate it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Reactions: DMLj21

·
Registered
253 Posts
As an update, here's what I saw with the lights on when updating my AppleTV 4K last week...

Currently at 150 hours with one manual refresh.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I haven't been following as much this year but that looks pretty bad IMO as far as vertical banding goes.
I stated about a month ago that I wouldn't go looking for issues when I received my replacement unit the first of August. Since then, I've noticed these bands almost daily. Trying to live with it, not because it's a huge hassle (although it is challenging to take off the wall), but because of the spouse's response to replacing again. After having to replace a Vizio M series about 6 times over the course of two years due to panel failure, I made a big declaration I wouldn't keep exchanging. Maybe I just need to point it out tonight when watching Raised by Wolves...

9741 - 9760 of 12771 Posts