AVS Forum banner

9781 - 9800 of 9996 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have bought LG OLED65CX recently to replace my beloved but aging Panasonic ST60 plasma and I have to say that I am a little bit underwhelmed. The most accurate factory picture settings had a green cast that irritated me from the very beginning - it was almost unwatchable (however, I'm aware that I'm probably more sensitive than majority of users). I've spent some hours staring at various test images and corrected white balance considerably (professional calibration is going to happen sooner or later anyway). But this thread is about uniformity. I have some OLED displays (various Samsung phones and a tablet) and I know what does panel lottery mean. Unfortunately LG CX disappointed me a bit, because:
  • 5% grey looks reasonably good, but there is one prominent darker band on the right side which I can see during normal content viewing (and up to about 35% gray).
  • Left and right sides of panel (around the edges) are noticeably darker. Colorful solid backgrounds have slightly different shades in these areas comparing to the center.
  • I can see many faint horizontal bands as well (but they are less visible than vertical one).
  • On white or very bright solid backrounds I can easily see some kind of grid (many small horizontal and vertical lines). It is visible for example during HDR content viewing, when the sun makes a very bright spot (it is filled with those grid lines).
  • I have 3 dead subpixels (1 green, 2 red) out of the box. Not very noticeable outside of solid green/red backgrounds from normal viewing distances, but nevertheless I know they are there.
This is how my panel looks like when displaying 5% gray background (it doesn't show all the issues described above, but it's difficult to show them on a photo):
5.jpg
This is 10% gray with purposely increased contrast:
10_high_contrast.jpg

After about 50-100 hours and one manual compensation cycle nothing has changed so far. It's a shame that 2k EUR device is manufactured with such massive discrepancy in panel quality. I still have opportunity to return/exchange the TV for another one. But I don't know if my expectations aren't too high and I'm risking receiving even worse panel. This is my second LG display as I have their 38UC99 ultrawide IPS PC monitor and the first unit has been replaced due to 1 dead pixel and terrible screen uniformity (yellowish cast to the right). The second unit (which I decided to keep due to lack of alternatives at that time) has exactly the same uniformity issues (but without dead pixel). I'm really underwhelmed by quality control of LG products. Maybe this is due to lack of competition, at least in OLED TV department.
Do you think it's worth to enter panel lottery in my case or should I keep the one I have and try to convince myself that this is the current state of the art technology with some manufacturing flaws that are inevitable?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Do you think it's worth to enter panel lottery in my case or should I keep the one I have and try to convince myself that this is the current state of the art technology with some manufacturing flaws that are inevitable?
I would replace any panel that shows banding on 10% and above. I say put as many hours you can to help improve the panel and decide before your return window closes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
LG CX 65 owner, have about 37 hours into it and last night I tried one of the 5% gray videos online and got the below results. Blurry due to being about 15 ft away and the room completely dark. iPhone camera didn't like that.

I am wondering how soon into this thing running that I should run a pixel refresh? I am running some 4k nature video content off youtube today on it while I work. Wondering also if a white noise video would help? Used to help with IR issues with my old Panny UT50.

During normal viewing, it is hard to even notice the banding. I have only noticed what might or might not be banding in nature shows where they are showing the sky, but usually only on the ends of the TV on the upper part of the screen, where the banding actually doesn't look that bad.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It may get "better", but almost certainly not enough so to be considered acceptable for a product in this price range. I just got rid of a 77" CX with bad uniformity, but not this bad. I gave it 400 hours, not much improvement after the first 100.
Well, the spouse finally spotted it last night. The initial reaction was to blame compression artifacts, so I presented the photos and started the conversation. I may be in the doghouse now, but I also think a request for replacement may be understood, even if behind epic eye rolls. 😅 As I'm adding more and hours, getting closer to that 200 hour goal, I'm not seeing any difference since hour 20. My only concern with a swap is getting a display like the first which had the macro blocking artifacts other users are now starting to see. Oh, and the fact that Costco no longer has the 77" on the website for purchase or exchange.

Reactions: HeisenbergABQ

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well, the spouse finally spotted it last night. The initial reaction was to blame compression artifacts, so I presented the photos and started the conversation. I may be in the doghouse now, but I also think a request for replacement may be understood, even if behind epic eye rolls. 😅 As I'm adding more and hours, getting closer to that 200 hour goal, I'm not seeing any difference since hour 20. My only concern with a swap is getting a display like the first which had the macro blocking artifacts other users are now starting to see. Oh, and the fact that Costco no longer has the 77" on the website for purchase or exchange.
I'm in a pickle too. I packed up my CX and was going to return it, only to discover I missed my return window by a few days. Bigger problem is I already ordered a Sony Z9G, so now I'm attempting to cancel that before it gets delivered. I had Geek squad come out to look at my panel since I had their warranty for it, so I could see if I could maybe get an RA# for the TV. LG would only replace the panel though, even though the panel costs almost as much as what I paid for the TV, and I don't want another panel because bad uniformity aside, all the Dolby vision content I've watched on this TV has elevated blacks, and LG said " We're looking into it", but couldn't give an estimate of when this issue will be fixed, if they even can fix it. This really sucks, I was looking forward to Game of thrones on 4K Blu-ray next month which has Dolby vision, but it's going to look terrible on my CX.

The Geek squad guy who came to my house was really nice though, and said I could just hold on to the TV until the manufacturers warranty expires, and then use the Geek squad warranty to get a gift card for what I paid for it. I'll probably do that and pick up an A9G or A9I if that comes out next year. I'm really disappointed with LG. I understand that it may be their policy to repair instead of replace or refund, but if it's basically costing them the same whether they give me a new panel or just refund me, why not? Factor in the cost to ship a panel and labor, we're definitely looking at more than I paid for the TV, it doesn't make any sense to me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm in a pickle too. I packed up my CX and was going to return it, only to discover I missed my return window by a few days. Bigger problem is I already ordered a Sony Z9G, so now I'm attempting to cancel that before it gets delivered. I had Geek squad come out to look at my panel since I had their warranty for it, so I could see if I could maybe get an RA# for the TV. LG would only replace the panel though, even though the panel costs almost as much as what I paid for the TV, and I don't want another panel because bad uniformity aside, all the Dolby vision content I've watched on this TV has elevated blacks, and LG said " We're looking into it", but couldn't give an estimate of when this issue will be fixed, if they even can fix it. This really sucks, I was looking forward to Game of thrones on 4K Blu-ray next month which has Dolby vision, but it's going to look terrible on my CX.

The Geek squad guy who came to my house was really nice though, and said I could just hold on to the TV until the manufacturers warranty expires, and then use the Geek squad warranty to get a gift card for what I paid for it. I'll probably do that and pick up an A9G or A9I if that comes out next year. I'm really disappointed with LG. I understand that it may be their policy to repair instead of replace or refund, but if it's basically costing them the same whether they give me a new panel or just refund me, why not? Factor in the cost to ship a panel and labor, we're definitely looking at more than I paid for the TV, it doesn't make any sense to me.
That's a tough situation. Luckily, I'm still within the 90 day Costco period because the first exchange reset the 90 day window. That will give me some time to wait for a restock. I've done a pixel refresh in the meantime. I would consider the Sony, but having come from a Sony LED last, I wasn't a fan of AndroidOS. Additionally, the lack of HDMI 2.1 features is a big miss since compatibility with the new consoles was a big part of the original TV upgrade to begin with. Hope everything works out and the A9G will fix your issues.

Reactions: HeisenbergABQ

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
LG CX 65 owner, have about 37 hours into it and last night I tried one of the 5% gray videos online and got the below results. Blurry due to being about 15 ft away and the room completely dark. iPhone camera didn't like that.

I am wondering how soon into this thing running that I should run a pixel refresh? I am running some 4k nature video content off youtube today on it while I work. Wondering also if a white noise video would help? Used to help with IR issues with my old Panny UT50.

During normal viewing, it is hard to even notice the banding. I have only noticed what might or might not be banding in nature shows where they are showing the sky, but usually only on the ends of the TV on the upper part of the screen, where the banding actually doesn't look that bad.
I don't know about the banding but that red tint is bad imo

·
Registered
171 Posts
That's a tough situation. Luckily, I'm still within the 90 day Costco period because the first exchange reset the 90 day window. That will give me some time to wait for a restock. I've done a pixel refresh in the meantime. I would consider the Sony, but having come from a Sony LED last, I wasn't a fan of AndroidOS. Additionally, the lack of HDMI 2.1 features is a big miss since compatibility with the new consoles was a big part of the original TV upgrade to begin with. Hope everything works out and the A9G will fix your issues.
Thanks, I'm not big on Android TV either. I've always bought Sony TV's in the past because I prefer the way they handle motion and their color accuracy, but I went with the CX because of HDMI 2.1. Hopefully Sony will announce an A9I with HDMI 2.1 for next year. Will you get a panel swap or a different TV?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Banding is hard to tell but maybe isn't too bad but that tint is pretty ugly.
Could the tinting be related to the phone cameras? After a pixel refresh and 160 hours, I took another 5% image using default Filmmaker Mode settings. This also shows tint my previous images hadn't shown, though these pictures may have been taken in ISF Dark Mode instead of Filmmaker mode.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Could the tinting be related to the phone cameras? After a pixel refresh and 160 hours, I took another 5% image using default Filmmaker Mode settings. This also shows tint my previous images hadn't shown, though these pictures may have been taken in ISF Dark Mode instead of Filmmaker mode. View attachment 3041510
I took loads of photos on mine, sadly it’s the panel. Night and day v my AG9, C8, E6 and C6.

Another UK member had similar.

I’m praying the replacement is better as aside from tint, it’s by far the best TV I’ve ever had, no banding, superlative near blacks, great upscaling and motion - just a pesky tint that I keep noticing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I took loads of photos on mine, sadly it’s the panel. Night and day v my AG9, C8, E6 and C6.

Another UK member had similar.

I’m praying the replacement is better as aside from tint, it’s by far the best TV I’ve ever had, no banding, superlative near blacks, great upscaling and motion - just a pesky tint that I keep noticing.
That's quite awful to hear. Especially because reports seemed to indicate Panasonic's QC was far superior. Fingers crossed your replacement is superior. After the pixel refresh didn't reduce the dark bands and enhanced the one on the left side, I feel like I should replace mine again...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm also having the grid pattern issue with my LG 77 CX, hard to see in the photo but it's definitely visible in any scenes that are all white or gray. Really distracting when playing Xbox.

IMG_20200917_214443.jpg

9781 - 9800 of 9996 Posts