AVS Forum banner

12621 - 12640 of 13230 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi all,

I posted this issue in the 2020 Sony Bravia A8H OLED Owner's Thread, and someone suggested I also post it here. I've had the 65" A8H OLED (XBR65A8H) since October 2020. The panel has just under 400 hours on it, and I am on the latest firmware. Two nights ago, I noticed an approximately 3" wide vertical band on the right side of the set. This is not image retention or burn-in (no content we watch has such a vertical band). It is more visible in lighter scenes/grayscale, but it is present across all content and inputs. I tried a restart, which didn't fix the issue. I also tried a factory data reset, but that didn't fix the issue either. I've attached a picture showing the vertical band. (Note: the blotches and the bright spot in the picture are room reflections or possibly artifacts from taking a photo of an image on a TV screen. Except for the vertical band, the rest of the panel is highly uniform when viewed in person.)

I am out of the store's return/exchange period, but thankfully still within Sony's one year warranty. Before I contact them, however, I thought I'd see if anyone has had a similar issue appear on their OLED after a number of months. If so, did it go away on its own, or did you have the set repaired or replaced under Sony's warranty?

Thanks in advance for any input or advice!

·
Registered
58 Posts
So I'm still obsessing on my screen, most specifically during content. I see no banding in static content, but noticed some faint banding in the racing scene of Marco Polo. Please review the below screenshots. I see nothing in the first one but notice it slightly with the second image. Is this to be expected with an OLED in a dark fast moving scene like this or should it be completely nonexistent?

5AC742B7-D087-403E-B8A7-49266E52F274.jpeg D4680257-5652-4A6C-AFCB-BAF382EF48E0.jpeg

·
Registered
374 Posts
I spoke to Richer Sounds (UK) about returning my TV and after sending a couple of photos they immediately offered a replacement. It was nice to talk to a rep who knew his stuff, we had a short conversation about the various uniformity issues and his lingo was spot on.

New A9G is arriving friday, I am once again a nervous wreck :LOL:

So I'm still obsessing on my screen, most specifically during content. I see no banding in static content, but noticed some faint banding in the racing scene of Marco Polo. Please review the below screenshots. I see nothing in the first one but notice it slightly with the second image. Is this to be expected with an OLED in a dark fast moving scene like this or should it be completely nonexistent?

View attachment 3120103 View attachment 3120104
I can just about see the faint banding. This scene is murder for oleds, your panel is definitely above average. Try and move past it and enjoy your tv :)

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Here's 5%, 10%, 12% and 20% Grey tests on my new C1 77". Less than 10 hours on the set so pretty much fresh out the box. The bands lessen but are visible all the way up to 25%. On ISF Dark Oled Light 35 Contrast 85.
If you take additional photos of your C1, please either download the test mp4 patterns from the link in the first post or use the 5% youtube link in the third post. The youtube patterns with the RGB label in bottom/right corner have incorrect brightness levels.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
If you take additional photos of your C1, please either download the test mp4 patterns from the link in the first post or use the 5% youtube link in the third post.
Yes I did this earlier today, and put the files I needed on a flash drive and plugged it into the tv. Planning on taking some more pictures tonight for sure.

As for today I've been looking into the VRR flickering and the grid issue. I was able to easily see the flickering issue in the game "Tell Me Why" on Xbox Series X in the opening scene of Chapter 1.
It's quite bad for the first 30 seconds or so. I've been told that game is a worst case scenario user test, as most games don't exhibit the flickering except during brief times in Menus (but not much in actual content). I've put several gaming hours on the tv and my opinion is it is mostly a non-issue but when it is there - it's distracting and ugly. I don't think it will rear it's head much except in a few specific scenarios (mostly in games that are NOT well optimized), so I'm not really worried about it.

As for the grid issue, either I haven't seen it yet, it's not there on my C1, or I'm not looking at the right content. I've watched some bright HDR content and when I get close to the screen I'm only seeing the intersecting pixel grid structure and that's from about a foot away or less. From further away I'm not seeing the larger grid rectangles that I've seen pictures of CX owners posting. If it is there it's very faint. If anyone can recommend some good timestamps on HDR videos on Youtube I'll check them out.

Reactions: nlh

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Not sure that's great given that particular video is about 10% when it says 5%. As others said, use the video linked earlier in the thread (it has black text in the lower left not white text in the lower right).
its the overexposure of the phone if you're talking in terms of brightness as well as when i take pictures or videos of any tv or computer screen it gives a tint to of blue to everything . not sure whats going on there? im a tv guy not an iphone guy lol

·
Registered
374 Posts
As for the grid issue, either I haven't seen it yet, it's not there on my C1, or I'm not looking at the right content. I've watched some bright HDR content and when I get close to the screen I'm only seeing the intersecting pixel grid structure and that's from about a foot away or less. From further away I'm not seeing the larger grid rectangles that I've seen pictures of CX owners posting. If it is there it's very faint. If anyone can recommend some good timestamps on HDR videos on Youtube I'll check them out.
If you don't see anything from from a few feet, or in your normal viewing position, I'd say you've not got the grid (y)

Try this video in vivid mode, if you don't see any shadows, lines or grid, you're good.

its the overexposure of the phone if you're talking in terms of brightness as well as when i take pictures or videos of any tv or computer screen it gives a tint to of blue to everything . not sure whats going on there? im a tv guy not an iphone guy lol
That test video has incorrect brightness levels, it's not truly 5% grey and won't properly reveal the problems you're looking for. Here is the video you should use.

·
Registered
510 Posts

At this point, I am not sure I would trust the eyes of someone who claimed to see nothing in that scene or the beginning of The Queen's Gambit.

Anyway, I definitely wouldn't spin the wheel again just because of that scene. If you see it often just in normal use, that's something else.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Those vertical bands are in the source. I specifically checked that scene on a grading LCD monitor with perfect uniformity and they are there. If you really want to find faults with your TV than there are better examples where any OLED will fail, but I'm not telling you:).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Those vertical bands are in the source. I specifically checked that scene on a grading LCD monitor with perfect uniformity and they are there. If you really want to find faults with your TV than there are better examples where any OLED will fail, but I'm not telling you:).
LOL. Thank you for not sharing... In regards to that specific scene, it wasn't as obvious on my previous set but there was more vignette.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Really? I could swear I was seeing the same pattern as on my 5% test, but maybe that was power of suggestion.

·
Registered
81 Posts
LOL. Thank you for not sharing... In regards to that specific scene, it wasn't as obvious on my previous set but there was more vignette.
Yes, the vignette will be visible but it looks like it's a feature of the 2021 65" sets, take it or leave it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
How would you compare the blob you had to the one in my pic? Were you ever able to notice it in regular content?
I can't remember if I noticed it in content. I just took a look at a previous post of mine and it looks like it started to clear up significantly after the first automatic pixel refresh (at 4 hours) and then one manual pixel refresh. My gut is telling me that it didn't look "good" until at least 100 hours in. Maybe longer.

Here's what it looked like out of the box.

Here's what it looked like at about 500 hours. It's obviously over exposed but the change in blobiness is accurate.

Here it is at roughly 800 hours. Sorry about the lack of focus but you get the general idea

This last one makes it look better than it is, but I do feel it looks better than it did at even 500 hours. I only see obvious banding and the darker area in the center top in some torture scenes (Queen's Gambit & Marco Polo). Every once-in-a-while I catch a glimpse of banding on uniform areas of a scene... things like walls, but I have to go looking for it.

In general, I think it went from insta-return to a keeper. However, I'm returning it now for a strange issue with the panel that I haven't seen anyone else complain about.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I can't remember if I noticed it in content. I just took a look at a previous post of mine and it looks like it started to clear up significantly after the first automatic pixel refresh (at 4 hours) and then one manual pixel refresh. My gut is telling me that it didn't look "good" until at least 100 hours in. Maybe longer.

Here's what it looked like out of the box.

Here's what it looked like at about 500 hours. It's obviously over exposed but the change in blobiness is accurate.
View attachment 3120157

Here it is at roughly 800 hours. Sorry about the lack of focus but you get the general idea
View attachment 3120159

This last one makes it look better than it is, but I do feel it looks better than it did at even 500 hours. I only see obvious banding and the darker area in the center top in some torture scenes (Queen's Gambit & Marco Polo). Every once-in-a-while I catch a glimpse of banding on uniform areas of a scene... things like walls, but I have to go looking for it.

In general, I think it went from insta-return to a keeper. However, I'm returning it now for a strange issue with the panel that I haven't seen anyone else complain about.
That's really surprising. Huge improvement.

·
Registered
74 Posts
While I could see the grid issue on a number of YouTube videos or Netflix shows, it was most obvious in games. You could see it pretty clearly in just about any DSE test. I was judging it from 10' away on 77" panel. It's something you would see at normal viewing distance in panning white or near-white colors from a normal viewing distance.

Thanks for checking for it, very interested in reports of any 77" C1/G1 panels with or without the issue. Glad you got a good one as far the grid issue, hope the banding clears up some!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Now on my 6th CX replacement, and my second 65”... it’s just as bad as the others, if not worse. Red tint down the entire left and right side, a pure white screen is the stuff of nightmares on this one. horrible banding, grid patterns still visible on bright scenes. Plus the back of the tv is scratched up.

these TVs are dog ****, end of. Must be assembled by monkeys.

has anyone had the grid effect lessen over time? What about tints on the sides of the screen, do these ever improve?

I swear, if I have to return another one of these 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ You know I actually bought my first 55” CX last September and there was absolutely no grid effect visible during bright content. The brights in hdr were soooo clean. I returned that tv due to a completely different issue. Really wish I hadn’t now, as every panel I’ve had since that was manufactured after October has been riddled with horizontal lines and the grid effect. Makes it look like I’m watching an LCD. That’s honestly how dirty the screen looks. So what’s the consensus guys? Are the CX’s just impossible to find without the grid effect, dse and tinting now?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Now on my 6th CX replacement, and my second 65”... it’s just as bad as the others, if not worse. Red tint down the entire left and right side, a pure white screen is the stuff of nightmares on this one. horrible banding, grid patterns still visible on bright scenes. Plus the back of the tv is scratched up.

these TVs are dog ****, end of. Must be assembled by monkeys.

has anyone had the grid effect lessen over time? What about tints on the sides of the screen, do these ever improve?

I swear, if I have to return another one of these 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ You know I actually bought my first 55” CX last September and there was absolutely no grid effect visible during bright content. The brights in hdr were soooo clean. I returned that tv due to a completely different issue. Really wish I hadn’t now, as every panel I’ve had since that was manufactured after October has been riddled with horizontal lines and the grid effect. Makes it look like I’m watching an LCD. That’s honestly how dirty the screen looks. So what’s the consensus guys? Are the CX’s just impossible to find without the grid effect, dse and tinting now?
6? I would've threw in the towel after maybe 3

12621 - 12640 of 13230 Posts