AVS Forum banner

12641 - 12660 of 13227 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Now on my 6th CX replacement, and my second 65”... it’s just as bad as the others, if not worse. Red tint down the entire left and right side, a pure white screen is the stuff of nightmares on this one. horrible banding, grid patterns still visible on bright scenes. Plus the back of the tv is scratched up.

these TVs are dog ****, end of. Must be assembled by monkeys.

has anyone had the grid effect lessen over time? What about tints on the sides of the screen, do these ever improve?

I swear, if I have to return another one of these 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ You know I actually bought my first 55” CX last September and there was absolutely no grid effect visible during bright content. The brights in hdr were soooo clean. I returned that tv due to a completely different issue. Really wish I hadn’t now, as every panel I’ve had since that was manufactured after October has been riddled with horizontal lines and the grid effect. Makes it look like I’m watching an LCD. That’s honestly how dirty the screen looks. So what’s the consensus guys? Are the CX’s just impossible to find without the grid effect, dse and tinting now?
I ran a few of them with the grid issue past 500 hours and didn't see an improvement. It is sad, never had this kind of uniformity issue on 2019 or earlier panels and it does make some LCDs look uniform in comparison.

·
Registered
21 Posts
6? I would've threw in the towel after maybe 3
I know right! 🤦🏻‍♂️ It’s lunacy and I’m a lunatic. I can’t play this panel lottery anymore. It’s just getting worse!

I ran a few of them with the grid issue past 500 hours and didn't see an improvement. It is sad, never had this kind of uniformity issue on 2019 or earlier panels and it does make some LCDs look uniform in comparison.
500 hours!? Well ****! It’s disgusting QC on LGs part. How about tinting.. does that ever improve? I’m currently sat looking at the worst tinting I’ve seen yet on an OLED. Can’t actually believe this would pass quality checks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know right! 🤦🏻‍♂️ It’s lunacy and I’m a lunatic. I can’t play this panel lottery anymore. It’s just getting worse!

500 hours!? Well ****! It’s disgusting QC on LGs part. How about tinting.. does that ever improve? I’m currently sat looking at the worst tinting I’ve seen yet on an OLED. Can’t actually believe this would pass quality checks!
I got pretty lucky with tinting, nothing beyond what I'd consider normal for OLED screens across the four TVs I tried. My understanding is that tinting does not improve with time though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got pretty lucky with tinting, nothing beyond what I'd consider normal for OLED screens across the four TVs I tried. My understanding is that tinting does not improve with time though.
yea I was pretty lucky in regards to tinting as well until this one turnt up today. I love that a pure white screen is red on both sides... just what I wanted when I parted ways with the best part of 2k 👍🏻

What size have you been using? Skimming through this thread, it seems the 65” and aboves seem to be more prone to tinting and uniformity issues in general.

·
Registered
74 Posts
yea I was pretty lucky in regards to tinting as well until this one turnt up today. I love that a pure white screen is red on both sides... just what I wanted when I parted ways with the best part of 2k 👍🏻
What size have you been using? Skimming through this thread, it seems the 65” and aboves seem to be more prone to tinting and uniformity issues in general.
I went through four GX 77" with serious grid problems on all four but currently waiting on the G1 (or maybe C1) before trying again. They were all made September or October 2020.

·
Registered
13,979 Posts
Could be the ‘Guangzhou Effect’...

·
Registered
13,979 Posts
I went through four GX 77" with serious grid problems on all four but currently waiting on the G1 (or maybe C1) before trying again. They were all made September or October 2020.
Which is right after Guangzhou finally ramped...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep that lines up with when I started noticing these issues. My grid free cx was manufactured in august. Every panel I’ve had since has been manufactured from November onwards and they’ve all been terrible. So their QC has gone completely tits up basically. Good to know.

·
Registered
13,979 Posts
what’s this referring to?
Oh, until ~Q3 last year, 100% of all WOLED panels were manufactured at a single LGD 8.5G manufacturing line in Paju, Korea (where LGD is based).

LGD began investing in a new, second 8.5G manufacturing line in Guangzhou, China in late 2018 which was initially scheduled to begin production by early 2020, but various hiccups (exacerbated by the pandemic) delayed the ramp to production until it finally started in Q3’20.

So now, about half of the world’s WOLED panels are manufactured at the original 8.5G line in Paju, Korea, and about half are manufactured at the new 8.5G manufacturing line in Guangzhou, China.

We have no visibility on where those Guangzhou panels are going nor whether there is any difference in terms of performance or quality, but it is a variable to keep in mind any time we see evidence of a worse ‘panel’ lottery than we’ve grown accustomed too over the past few years...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh, until ~Q3 last year, 100% of all WOLED panels were manufactured at a single LGD 8.5G manufacturing line in Paju, Korea (where LGD is based).

LGD began investing in a new, second 8.5G manufacturing line in Guangzhou, China in late 2018 which was initially scheduled to begin production by early 2020, but various hiccups (exacerbated by the pandemic) delayed the ramp to production until it finally started in Q3’20.

So now, about half of the world’s WOLED panels are manufactured at the original 8.5G line in Paju, Korea, and about half are manufactured at the new 8.5G manufacturing line in Guangzhou, China.

We have no visibility on where those Guangzhou panels are going nor whether there is any difference in terms of performance or quality, but it is a variable to keep in mind any time we see evidence of a worse ‘panel’ lottery than we’ve grown accustomed too over the past few years...
thanks for explaining 👍🏻

yea, that’s got ‘more than just a coincidence’ written all over it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Guangzhou is supposed to be ramping up so it is likely to be a majority this year but a lot will still be made at Paju.

One thing I'm curious about is if Guangzhou panels are less likely to end up in the US market, since tariffs on the major components might apply? Might be Guangzhou is fine but Paju's defects went up while LG Display put the QC resources elsewhere. It seems like more panels had the grid issue in the US market but that's just my hunch.

Too bad we don't have a way to identify the panel source yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Man, what a time to be playing the panel lottery. For what it’s worth, there’s loads of panels in the uk now with the grid issue.

Think I’m at the point where I’m just going to give up hope trying to obtain a grid free OLED

·
Registered
193 Posts
Saw some requests for grid checks.

24:15 when the sun enters the picture. I saw the grid first playing this game, so here you go.

Also, Our Planet on 4k netflix. Episode "From desert to Grasslands" timestamp 20:45. I see it in the dust kicked up from the elephants slightly, and then big time in the sun that appears a few seconds later.

I still agree it's worse in gaming, so out of these two, I'd say the AC Valhalla one is worse.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Took some more pics of my C1 tonight using the AVS test slides. Very happy with the results compared to the ones I took on day one (posted yesterday). I performed one manual pixel refresher last night at just under 10 hours on the panel - and it looked better this morning. Then I took these pics at the 24 hour mark. I guess it should go without saying but don't judge a panel on the first day you get it.

It's not perfect, but it definitely looks like a keeper to me.

Reactions: jonathannorris

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Here's some more pics of my C1 77". March 2021 assembled in Mexico.

These are from Marco Polo on Netflix. Tv is in the Cinema HDR setting. It actually looks better in person than what you see here.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,979 Posts
Took some more pics of my C1 tonight using the AVS test slides. Very happy with the results compared to the ones I took on day one (posted yesterday). I performed one manual pixel refresher last night at just under 10 hours on the panel - and it looked better this morning. Then I took these pics at the 24 hour mark. I guess it should go without saying but don't judge a panel on the first day you get it.

It's not perfect, but it definitely looks like a keeper to me.

Absolutely. It is a mistake to try to conclude anything from how your screen looks out of the box.

Break it in for at least 100 hours and run the pixel refresh cycle at least twice.

Your screen looks pretty good but hopefully the more darkened upper-half starts to fare with some more hours of use and another pixel-refresh cycle...

12641 - 12660 of 13227 Posts