AVS Forum banner

12661 - 12680 of 13230 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Saw some requests for grid checks.

24:15 when the sun enters the picture. I saw the grid first playing this game, so here you go.

Also, Our Planet on 4k netflix. Episode "From desert to Grasslands" timestamp 20:45. I see it in the dust kicked up from the elephants slightly, and then big time in the sun that appears a few seconds later.

I still agree it's worse in gaming, so out of these two, I'd say the AC Valhalla one is worse.
Not seeing much there, if so it's very faint. If I look too close again I'm just seeing small rows of pixels and where they intersect - on the YouTube pause screen it stands out more.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: nlh

·
Registered
510 Posts
Took some more pics of my C1 tonight using the AVS test slides. Very happy with the results compared to the ones I took on day one (posted yesterday). I performed one manual pixel refresher last night at just under 10 hours on the panel - and it looked better this morning. Then I took these pics at the 24 hour mark. I guess it should go without saying but don't judge a panel on the first day you get it.

It's not perfect, but it definitely looks like a keeper to me.

I'm still seeing what appears to be some tinting, particularly in the 10% and 15% slides, but also the bottom of the 5% slide.

But that grey uniformity looks like it is already in the not-worth-risking-another-spin territory to me.

So holding aside the grid issue, if that tinting isn't an issue in real content, I would say that is looking like a keeper.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Ok took a second look and I'm seeing it more now. Still very faintly. I looked at this from a few different angles and that helped.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Saw some requests for grid checks.

24:15 when the sun enters the picture. I saw the grid first playing this game, so here you go.

Also, Our Planet on 4k netflix. Episode "From desert to Grasslands" timestamp 20:45. I see it in the dust kicked up from the elephants slightly, and then big time in the sun that appears a few seconds later.

I still agree it's worse in gaming, so out of these two, I'd say the AC Valhalla one is worse.
Ive just checked out those scenes on my November 2020 build 77AG9 and they are perfect ,so pleased I bought this set rather than holding out for a 2021 model

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi all,

I posted this issue in the 2020 Sony Bravia A8H OLED Owner's Thread, and someone suggested I also post it here. I've had the 65" A8H OLED (XBR65A8H) since October 2020. The panel has just under 400 hours on it, and I am on the latest firmware. Two nights ago, I noticed an approximately 3" wide vertical band on the right side of the set. This is not image retention or burn-in (no content we watch has such a vertical band). It is more visible in lighter scenes/grayscale, but it is present across all content and inputs. I tried a restart, which didn't fix the issue. I also tried a factory data reset, but that didn't fix the issue either. I've attached a picture showing the vertical band. (Note: the blotches and the bright spot in the picture are room reflections or possibly artifacts from taking a photo of an image on a TV screen. Except for the vertical band, the rest of the panel is highly uniform when viewed in person.)

I am out of the store's return/exchange period, but thankfully still within Sony's one year warranty. Before I contact them, however, I thought I'd see if anyone has had a similar issue appear on their OLED after a number of months. If so, did it go away on its own, or did you have the set repaired or replaced under Sony's warranty?

Thanks in advance for any input or advice!

View attachment 3120096
This is something wrong with your TV and should be repaired under guarantee. I have more then 2000 hours and everything is OK. Please make a claim to sony.

·
Registered
727 Posts
So im sure this has been mentioned plenty of times, but the OLED light level seems to make a pretty big difference in the perception of near-black uniformity problems, at least so far as the dark patches are concerned. At SDR brightness levels I can see the issue in content, if I crank it much above 50 though, it becomes much harder to see.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Took some more pics of my C1 tonight using the AVS test slides. Very happy with the results compared to the ones I took on day one (posted yesterday). I performed one manual pixel refresher last night at just under 10 hours on the panel - and it looked better this morning. Then I took these pics at the 24 hour mark. I guess it should go without saying but don't judge a panel on the first day you get it.

It's not perfect, but it definitely looks like a keeper to me.

What OLED light/(or pixel brightness or whatever it's called on the C1) were these taken at?

·
Registered
LG 65CX, Denon 3500H, Wharfedale/Infinity 5.1.2, Xbox One X, Apple TV 4K. LG 55C9
28 Posts
Major magenta banding left and right side on LG CX 65. Panning nature shot below. This is a uniform sky, not a sunset. As camera pans to follow animal sky is blown out in red. Also seen in all white nature scenes. Turned greyscale on manually in settings and still prevalent. My C9 is perfect. Hoping the C1 will fix this issue. 20 hrs on panel so far.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
So I'm still obsessing on my screen, most specifically during content. I see no banding in static content, but noticed some faint banding in the racing scene of Marco Polo. Please review the below screenshots. I see nothing in the first one but notice it slightly with the second image. Is this to be expected with an OLED in a dark fast moving scene like this or should it be completely nonexistent?

View attachment 3120103 View attachment 3120104
Virtually every oled will show some
Sort of banding on that scene.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can anyone chime in on the defect rate on different panel sizes?
Alza (a European retailer) recently started showing the return rate for their products (and they stop selling high defect items). LG CX 65' is at 0.66%... I checked the reviews under it - the complaints mention things like "sound could be better", "the TV is too heavy", "remote feels cheap", "no T-Mobile TV app", "the screen is too shiny", "Alexa pairing too complicated", "the stand assembly is confusing", "not enough bass". Only one reviewer complained about flickering with VRR, nothing else...

Unfortunately I feel like most people buying these would be happy with any TV and just buy into the marketing of whichever company, then panel manufacturers can lower their QC standards accordingly, I don't know of any other products other than TV and monitor panels that have such crazy variations in quality.

·
Registered
510 Posts
That‘s my 65A90J (March 21) OOTB. What do you Think?
View attachment 3120297
Based on the picture, I would say your grey uniformity definitely looks good enough to keep, but I am concerned on your behalf about the magenta tinting I see on all the edges and generally on the left side.

This sort of tinting issue appears to me to be a pretty common area of concern with these TVs, and not something I have seen nearly as much in pictures of older OLEDs. As always, though, the practical question is whether it actually affects your real world content viewing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
This is my Sony A90J 65" that I picked up from Best Buy. What do you think? I see a small amount of magenta tinting in the lower left corner. No banding. To me it will be a keeper.

·
Registered
510 Posts
This is my Sony A90J 65" that I picked up from Best Buy. What do you think? I see a small amount of magenta tinting in the lower left corner. No banding. To me it will be a keeper. View attachment 3120338
For comparison purposes, it would be helpful to use the video in Post #3, and with a camera/light combination showing a totally dark background.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
What OLED light/(or pixel brightness or whatever it's called on the C1) were these taken at?
35. BT 1886. ISF Dark. Using a flash drive, black level on limited.

12661 - 12680 of 13230 Posts