AVS Forum banner

10801 - 10820 of 16554 Posts

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Hisense's Uled or version of QD displays look impressive, but still the OLED's contrast is hard to compete with although it got pretty close.
ULED means Ultra LED (LCd). It is just a chinese LCd presented as some kind of super LCd (which it is not). I bet it is not even among the best 2014 LEDs.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
ULED means Ultra LED (LCd). It is just a chinese LCd presented as some kind of super LCd (which it is not). I bet it is not even among the best 2014 LEDs.
Yes I'm aware it's an LCD, another member posted a thread about it with an article. I believe I posted the article here as well. If you see the demos I believe you would be quite surprised at the quality. Still nothing trumps oleds contrast but they can get close. This could mean a problem for oled.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
irkuck, you're claims don't line up here.

If they made zero 55-inch displays, fine.

They are literally using the 55-inch to drive volumes which is how they will bring down costs on the others.

The idea that selling tiny numbers of 65s and 77s is some "strategy" to capture value and then move downmarket isn't true. There is barely any value at all to capture up there. And fab utilization would be in the low double digits at best, which is hardly a recipe for perfecting manufacturing.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
If Panasonic decides to market the 65inch 4K OLED that they showed at IFA 2014, that would help to increase global OLED sales numbers, and might help to bring down the price of them to the $3k range by this time next year. That is the price point that I am waiting for, in order to purchase a 65inch 4K OLED set.

·
Banned
10,026 Posts
if panasonic decides to market the 65inch 4k oled that they showed at ifa 2014, that would help to increase global oled sales numbers, and might help to bring down the price of them to the $3k range by this time next year. That is the price point that i am waiting for, in order to purchase a 65inch 4k oled set.
^^^^Imagine that!!!!!

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
If Panasonic decides to market the 65inch 4K OLED that they showed at IFA 2014, that would help to increase global OLED sales numbers, and might help to bring down the price of them to the $3k range by this time next year. That is the price point that I am waiting for, in order to purchase a 65inch 4K OLED set.
I believe one thing just about every member here on AVS Forum can agree on is that a 65" 4K OLED being available for $3000 would be an almost certain market-leading product.

The question is how long it will take LG to get there and whether they have the financial runway to make it.

And for what it is worth, once a 65" 4K OLED costs $3000, a 55" 1080p OLED should cost less than $1000...

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I want to see a Panasonic and Sony OLED AFAIK at this point they will be using LGD WOLED panels I still want to see them though .

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
I want to see a Panasonic and Sony OLED AFAIK at this point they will be using LGD WOLED panels I still want to see them though .

And who wouldn't?

The point is that Panasonic and Sony are not in business to give demonstrations but to sell TVs.

They are clearly exploring now, but whether they decide to enter the market with a product in 2015 or hold off until 2016 when LG has forecasted that their OLEDs will be 'here to stay' remains to be seen...

·
Banned
10,026 Posts
And who wouldn't?

The point is that Panasonic and Sony are not in business to give demonstrations but to sell TVs.
Sony seems to be trying their level best to kill themselves.

• Wedge is beyond fugly. I just stared at one today and tried very hard to like it to no avail.
  • TVs are absurdly priced.
  • Built in speakers are ridiculous looking.
  • Sketchy PQ, at least for all but their top model.
  • Even most of their blu-ray players are shaped like pyramids.
What's going on over there? They legalize pot in Japan too?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Yes I'm aware it's an LCD, another member posted a thread about it with an article. I believe I posted the article here as well. If you see the demos I believe you would be quite surprised at the quality. Still nothing trumps oleds contrast but they can get close. This could mean a problem for oled.
Those demo's are probably manipulated by the manufacturer. Those articles are basically non-critical. It ain't gonna happen any time soon that the chinese bring a LCd on the market that outperforms a top korean/japanese LED LCd.

There is no critical review of the ULED TV. Till there is such review we basically know nothing. btw only the Sharp Elite Pro and several Plasma's come close to OLED contrast..

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Those demo's are probably manipulated by the manufacturer. Those articles are basically non-critical. It ain't gonna happen any time soon that the chinese bring a LCd on the market that outperforms a top korean/japanese LED LCd.

There is no critical review of the ULED TV. Till there is such review we basically know nothing. btw only the Sharp Elite Pro and several Plasma's come close to OLED contrast..
The article aside what could they possible do to make the oled look worse or their set any better. There's a video of both in a dark environment, like I said you can still clearly see the oled has the advantage. Regardless of who makes it I believe it's unwise to grossly underestimate any companies potential. Besides the x950 has sony made anything outside the norm? let's be honest here Japan is asleep. While the Koreans like samsung are doing everything possible to stay relevant. LG being the exception, but it's got a lot of competition.

The significance of all of this is if they can't make oleds they will try to get as close as possible.

What's going to make oled stand out besides the curve, infinite contrast, and it's price?

We're only a small percent of buyers... Most of which that aren't as critical as us.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
The article aside what could they possible do to make the oled look worse or their set any better. There's a video of both in a dark environment, like I said you can still clearly see the oled has the advantage. Regardless of who makes it I believe it's unwise to grossly underestimate any companies potential. Besides the x950 has sony made anything outside the norm? let's be honest here Japan is asleep. While the Koreans like samsung are doing everything possible to stay relevant. LG being the exception, but it's got a lot of competition.

The significance of all of this is if they can't make oleds they will try to get as close as possible.

What's going to make oled stand out besides the curve, infinite contrast, and it's price?

We're only a small percent of buyers... Most of which that aren't as critical as us.
From what i understand the Hisense top of the line XT900 ULED is a direct LED (without Local Dimming) with 5000:1 contrast..Tells me all i need to know :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
From what i understand the Hisense top of the line XT900 ULED is a direct LED (without Local Dimming) with 5000:1 contrast..Tells me all i need to know :)
So with that logic ppl could have thought the same about sony, samsung, or LG when they first started. You have to crawl before you walk.... I'm not saying they're going to automatically be a huge player just saying don't sleep on the smaller companies. There appetite for success is quite ambitious in they're infancy. :D

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
And who wouldn't?

They are clearly exploring now, but whether they decide to enter the market with a product in 2015 or hold off until 2016 when LG has forecasted that their OLEDs will be 'here to stay' remains to be seen...
Maybe 2016. I don't think they are moving on 2015 OLED maybe not 2016 for all I know. I only know what I see around here and the web which ain't much a far as Sony and Panny OLED goes .

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
OLED is "the perfect technology". I think manufacturers are somewhat afraid to introduce it, because it's essentially perfection.

• very high brightness
  • very large colour gamut
  • infinite contrast ratio
  • energy efficient
  • can do 4K and 8K
  • can do both passive & active 3D
  • works from almost any viewing angle
  • long-life
  • curvable (...)
  • ultra-thin
The question is... where do you go from there? They've got to be careful not to create a product they can't compete with. Smart TV platforms were introduced, in part, to attempt to make TVs obsolete after every year. But not everyone wanted a Smart TV.

Sort of like we see Samsung introducing "quantum dot" LED TVs, it's just a marketing term to try and differentiate themselves, OLED manufacturers might be stuck in the same position, relying only on marketing rather than any substantial difference to sell next year's technology. The introduction of LED-backlit LCD TVs was a huge boon to the industry, making a lot more people jump ship from CRT. OLED will probably do the same thing to LED. Plasma TVs had a similar issue with being seen as "old technology", hence one of the reasons for their demise. (Even though it's arguable plasma display panels developed far more than LCD ever did.)

Remember how CRT was dominant for 60+ years? Yeah, they definitely DON'T want a repetition of that.
"Perfect" until they adopt Fipels. You go to Fipel next. I know that the major manufacturers are already talking with the inventor.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Yes, some technology that hasn't been developed at all is going to matter in a business where exactly three technologies have successfully been commercialized ever. And one of those hasn't yet actually made it as a TV tech...

Call me in a decade or so and let me know how those "fipel" displays are doing.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Saw another EC9300 end cap at BestBuy with no picture. This is the second time. First, I saw this in a Brooklyn location and now at their Manhattan flagship store. Come on LG! Both stores have had the tv completely removed from the Magnolia Home Theater section. A CNET review would be nice.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
if most of us here don't own 4k oleds by
the end of 2016, I don't think it'll make it

10801 - 10820 of 16554 Posts