AVS Forum banner

16641 - 16655 of 16655 Posts

·
Registered
4,514 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
But is this native RGB inkjet printed OLED or something else?
JOLED proprietary RGB printed OLED technology. As stated by OLED info TCL also signed an agreement juni 2020 to jointly develop OLED TV printing technologies.

''JOLED Inc., a Japanese firm that makes OLED displays, announced this week (june 2020) that it has reached an agreement with TCL CSOT, a subsidiary of the well-known Chinese manufacturer TCL, to "start joint-development of large-sized OLEDs for TV application."

''In the deal, JOLED "will raise JPY20 billion, $187 million in U.S. dollars, in capital through a third-party allocation of new shares underwritten by CSOT-JAPAN."

"While mass-producing medium-sized displays, JOLED will prove the adaptability and effectiveness of printing technology to large-sized displays through the joint-development with TCL CSOT," the announcement said. "By leveraging our proprietary RGB printed OLED technology, JOLED will continue to take on challenges with the aim of establishing a unique positioning within the OLED industry and fulfilling its mission of realizing a world full of excitement and emotions through its cutting-edge devices."

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
will there be a technology in 2021 that can resolve a lot more lines of motion resolution and zero or nearly no motion blur. current displays can only do a measly 300 lines, and even OLEDs suffer from motion blur. using BFI increases up to 1080 lines depending on your set and reduces blur, but for gaming this feature is useless to me as it increases input lag and significantly drops screen brightness. I miss the days of CRT! :p

give me at 1080 lines of motion res and zero blur with a 2021 OLED. if this happened without BFI, I would sell my C9 in a heart beat.

·
Registered
257 Posts
will there be a technology in 2021 that can resolve a lot more lines of motion resolution and zero or nearly no motion blur. current displays can only do a measly 300 lines, and even OLEDs suffer from motion blur. using BFI increases up to 1080 lines depending on your set and reduces blur, but for gaming this feature is useless to me as it increases input lag and significantly drops screen brightness. I miss the days of CRT! :p

give me at 1080 lines of motion res and zero blur with a 2021 OLED. if this happened without BFI, I would sell my C9 in a heart beat.
I'd be a lot less prescriptive and say give me great motion... the next big step in OLED motion in TVs is native 240hz backplanes. LGD is working on it. They've said as much in published research. Hard to say how close they are. It's a big lift. 2021 model year would be surprising.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
JOLED proprietary RGB printed OLED technology. As stated by OLED info TCL also signed an agreement juni 2020 to jointly develop OLED TV printing technologies.

''JOLED Inc., a Japanese firm that makes OLED displays, announced this week (june 2020) that it has reached an agreement with TCL CSOT, a subsidiary of the well-known Chinese manufacturer TCL, to "start joint-development of large-sized OLEDs for TV application."

''In the deal, JOLED "will raise JPY20 billion, $187 million in U.S. dollars, in capital through a third-party allocation of new shares underwritten by CSOT-JAPAN."

"While mass-producing medium-sized displays, JOLED will prove the adaptability and effectiveness of printing technology to large-sized displays through the joint-development with TCL CSOT," the announcement said. "By leveraging our proprietary RGB printed OLED technology, JOLED will continue to take on challenges with the aim of establishing a unique positioning within the OLED industry and fulfilling its mission of realizing a world full of excitement and emotions through its cutting-edge devices."
Well this sounds good, but how are they getting around the short life of the blue native OLED emitter?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I'd be a lot less prescriptive and say give me great motion... the next big step in OLED motion in TVs is native 240hz backplanes. LGD is working on it. They've said as much in published research. Hard to say how close they are. It's a big lift. 2021 model year would be surprising.
How would 240 Hz help with motion resolution? Because they can interpolate more frames, or that they can have BFI frames displayed for less percentage of the time?

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Well this sounds good, but how are they getting around the short life of the blue native OLED emitter?
Looks like they will use three blue layers...in QD OLED that is..

''The hybrid approach was expected to use two blue layers... However, Samsung Display appears to have run into technical bottlenecks; The two fluorescent blue layers may not provide sufficient luminance and lifetime, when considering the demands of HDR, so it appears that three blue layers will be required with the additional required common layers.''

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Looks like they will use three blue layers...in QD OLED that is..

''The hybrid approach was expected to use two blue layers... However, Samsung Display appears to have run into technical bottlenecks; The two fluorescent blue layers may not provide sufficient luminance and lifetime, when considering the demands of HDR, so it appears that three blue layers will be required with the additional required common layers.''

QD OLED isn't native RGB OLED.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QD OLED isn't native RGB OLED.
The Samsung 1080p OLED from a while back was RGB..had a larger sized blue pixel. So more layers, larger size etc..

Looking at a june 2020 Joled rgb printing related OLED-a.org article..
''Recently, JOLED has been printing emitter lines instead of sub-pixels to reduce the effects of the poorer soluble material performance. They call it a Pure RGB Stripe OLED panel.''

The Asus ProArt PQ22UC (4K HDR professional monitor €5,000) which was launched march 2019..was according OLED-info.com the world's first ink-jet printed OLED product.
''Pure R,G,B Strips OLED display presents extremely high color saturation''

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Here's a new FlatpanelsHD article about advancements for AMQLED (also called QD-LED, EL-QLED, ELQD and QDEL)

"World's first' 55-inch AMQLED display developed by BOE"

Not strictly a type of OLED panel as I understand it, but may be of interest anyway since it's self-emissive pixels technology just like OLED.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's a new FlatpanelsHD article about advancements for AMQLED (also called QD-LED, EL-QLED, ELQD and QDEL)

"World's first' 55-inch AMQLED display developed by BOE"

Not strictly a type of OLED panel as I understand it, but may be of interest anyway since it's self-emissive pixels technology just like OLED.
Honestly since as of right now OLED is the only commercially available self-emissive TV tech... would 'real' QLED be discussed together with OLED (becoming ''self-emissive'' category) or should it be its own thing? I'm still wanting to go with a self-emissive display one day (currently using a DSE-rich Q90T) and am quite curious to see how the new OLED varieties and things like real QLED end up performing. Thanks for the link!

16641 - 16655 of 16655 Posts