AVS Forum banner

16861 - 16880 of 16983 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Samsung Display says that they are fairly near to adopting a phosphorescent blue into their display products. This is the summary of a technical presentation that they are supposed to give at SID in May.

A phosphorescent blue with a long life would dramatically increase the odds of QD-OLED's becoming successful.

·
Registered
199 Posts
What is new in the LG Display OLED EVO panels?
1. instead of a Blue/Yellow-Green/Red/Blue sandwich structure, the new panel has a Blue/Green/Yellow-Green/Red/Blue structure (as already mentioned here)
2. LG switched the supplier of the emitters from Idemitsu Kosan to DuPont, at least for the blue emitter; DuPont's blue emitter uses deuterium atoms instead of hydrogen which are more efficient at converting current to light

All this is according to this forum post (this forum is usually quite detailed when it comes to the tech behind TVs).

My suspicion regarding the switch from a Japanese supplier to a US one is that it is also partly due to the frictions between Japan and Korea that flared two years ago, with Japan imposing export control restrictions on chemicals used by the Korean electronics manufacturers as a retribution.

·
Registered
398 Posts
So with the introduction of LG's Evo panel, the Oled heatsink and the QD Oled tech on the horizon, what kind of peak brightness can we realistically expect flagship Oled from the big players to reach in 2-3 years of time? Sony's A90J has come real close to 1400 nits already in Standard mode at 2% window, is it still daydreaming to reach 1800 - 2000 nits?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
So with the introduction of LG's Evo panel, the Oled heatsink and the QD Oled tech on the horizon, what kind of peak brightness can we realistically expect flagship Oled from the big players to reach in 2-3 years of time? Sony's A90J has come real close to 1400 nits already in Standard mode at 2% window, is it still daydreaming to reach 1800 - 2000 nits?
It could be interesting to see how QD-OLED compares. But from what we've heard so far, I'm not expecting brightness miracles from the first generation of QD-OLED. They may not be as bright as the new WOLED models; who knows? As for WOLED, LG Display roadmaps have indicated that the panels will improve to 300 nits full field, so it seems reasonable to hope for that in 2 - 3 years. I don't know what that would mean for brightness on smaller fields, but I think the improvement on larger fields would probably be more exciting to a lot of people.

·
Registered
398 Posts
It could be interesting to see how QD-OLED compares. But from what we've heard so far, I'm not expecting brightness miracles from the first generation of QD-OLED. They may not be as bright as the new WOLED models; who knows? As for WOLED, LG Display roadmaps have indicated that the panels will improve to 300 nits full field, so it seems reasonable to hope for that in 2 - 3 years. I don't know what that would mean for brightness on smaller fields, but I think the improvement on larger fields would probably be more exciting to a lot of people.
300 nit full screen would be exciting for sure, I'm just glad the drought to Oled brightness increase is finally over, not that I think they're too dim or anything but it's exciting again to anticipate new models. Would want my next Oled upgrade be as big of a leap as possible.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I know OLED is more of a nice market segment vs the various LCD technologies in the grand scheme of things however one additional hurdle I see OLED's are soon going to have to face head on is 8k because it's not going to be long now when it'll be hard to find a flagship 4k LCD as things move much faster to 8k than I would have ever imagined so OLED will have to have relatively affordable models to complete. So in the marketplace with consumers making purchasing decisions, specs drive a lot of sales and with 8k OLED's at present being a product way out of reach for most that's going to have to change. I suppose more so with larger screen sizes becoming more and more popular as they have become considerably more affordable lately. Heck with 8K OLED's being limited to 2 LG Signature models and 1, maybe 2 B&O models I suspect most consumers don't even know OLED at 8k is even possible as these aren't exactly models you'll find at Best Buy, etc. so hardly anyone gets to see them. I know I sure haven't.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I know OLED is more of a nice market segment vs the various LCD technologies in the grand scheme of things however one additional hurdle I see OLED's are soon going to have to face head on is 8k because it's not going to be long now when it'll be hard to find a flagship 4k LCD as things move much faster to 8k than I would have ever imagined so OLED will have to have relatively affordable models to complete. So in the marketplace with consumers making purchasing decisions, specs drive a lot of sales and with 8k OLED's at present being a product way out of reach for most that's going to have to change. I suppose more so with larger screen sizes becoming more and more popular as they have become considerably more affordable lately. Heck with 8K OLED's being limited to 2 LG Signature models and 1, maybe 2 B&O models I suspect most consumers don't even know OLED at 8k is even possible as these aren't exactly models you'll find at Best Buy, etc. so hardly anyone gets to see them. I know I sure haven't.
Hopefully people won't care too much about a TV being 8K when there is no 8K content for them to watch from 14' away on the 65" TV that they've hung over a fireplace, but I don't want to overestimate the intelligence of the average consumer.
FWIW, DSCC has speculated that Samsung's initial QD-OLED lineup will be entirely 4K. So it's possible that the Kings of TV Marketing will be put in a position of pushing some pretty expensive 4K TVs (in addition to their much more expensive 4K microLED TVs).
The LG ZX is actually displayed in some Best Buys. I'm guessing they aren't big sellers.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
TCL is including 8K in their budget 6 series LCDs this year. Far from premium market. I suspect this will be just like the 2K to 4K transition where 2K TVs quickly became impossible to find regardless of price. In a couple of years likely all LCD TVs will only be 8K. Increasing resolution on an LCD costs you essentially nothing from a manufacturing perspective. WOLED on the other hand has very complex backplanes and per-pixel circuits that are hard to miniaturize. This is why you see so much dead black space surrounding each pixel - there are traces and driving components located there which have nowhere else to go.

·
Registered
984 Posts
8K having 4 times as many pixels to go bad, and 4 times as many drivers to go bad would seem to have a non-zero cost associated?

·
Registered
45 Posts
TCL is including 8K in their budget 6 series LCDs this year. Far from premium market. I suspect this will be just like the 2K to 4K transition where 2K TVs quickly became impossible to find regardless of price. In a couple of years likely all LCD TVs will only be 8K. Increasing resolution on an LCD costs you essentially nothing from a manufacturing perspective. WOLED on the other hand has very complex backplanes and per-pixel circuits that are hard to miniaturize. This is why you see so much dead black space surrounding each pixel - there are traces and driving components located there which have nowhere else to go.
Agreed - I think the forum discussed this months ago. There's no reason LCD OEMs wouldn't go 8K as it is pretty cheap to do, and not a significant increase increase in failure rate as far as I've heard. OLED must follow or deal with explaining the gap. Folks that haunt these forums likely would have no issue buying a 4K OLED vs an 8K QLED if they thought the PQ was best for their viewing environment. But the general public sees 4K vs 8K and assumes 8K must be better. The LG LCD biz and new Samsung QD-OLED (future QNED) biz have to live with their in-house counterparts (WOLED and QLED respectively) at the OEM marketing level. I'm sure the marketing dance will be fun to watch with respect to 4K vs 8K 'goodness' depending on core technology being pitched by the same nameplate. :)

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
OLED Panel Prices Keep Falling
LCD Panel Prices Rising Fast to Accelerate Transition to OLED

·
Registered
287 Posts
Would native 4K content be it games or movies look just as sharp/clear on a 77" OLED vs a 65"?
I always assumed you needed 8K once you dip over 65".....77" wouldn't interest me if native 4K ended up looking softer than on a 65"

16861 - 16880 of 16983 Posts