AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CES 2007 has put alot of juicy tech on our plates . . . almost.

SONY killed them with their OLED behemoth but i feel the laser TVs, while not wowing the crowd as much as the OLED, have as much soon-to-be-realized potential.

Both techs are heralded for their cost savings and now we know their picture quality exceeds most of what is on market now. They should debut or quickly drop to price ranges that match current dlps, lcos, and plasmas.

While you can always wait for the next best thing and not end up buying anything, I say these two techs provide better than premium quality at a significant cost savings and with a durability equal to traditional cathode ray tvs (at least for the laser).

Therefore why not wait just a little longer

· Registered
113 Posts
OLED looks fantastic but I wouldn't hold my breath for it at this point. If they actually showed some real models that could be rolling off production lines this year it would definitely be worth waiting a little while for but considering that all they had was a small prototype it would be prudent to venture a guess that we won't see OLED TVs on store shelves this year.

· Registered
565 Posts
Mondoculus:

Sony's laser driven SXRD display had the worst looking picture of anything at CES.

Have you actually seen a laser display or are you hoping for the best? Did I just catch the Sony at a bad time?

· Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrell /forum/post/0

no matter how you slice it, SXRD's are still projection sets, and projection is CRAP....IMHO...

Although I'm in agreement that the Sony Laser SXRD based on Novalux' laser didn't fair well at the show, do not count lasers out.

Thinking of laser as typical "projection" TVs is a bad idea. Each Laser TV, regardless of Laser manufacturer (there will be many over the next year) use a seperate light beam for red/green/blue. This means the actual "projecting" is accurate, bright, and most important not easily diffused i.e. blacks can be black.

More info here on Novalux and it's laser here:
http://www.novalux.com/
http://www.necsel.com/

As more info is released by competing laser companies, you'll see similar variations. Actually, it will be quite a fun new business game =)

· Registered
986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slivers /forum/post/0

Although I'm in agreement that the Sony Laser SXRD based on Novalux' laser didn't fair well at the show, do not count lasers out.

Was Sony using Necsel lasers? Novalux' press release before CES mentions only their lasers being used in a microprojector that made some news at CES. That was it. I was under impression that Sony used their own lasers but I might be wrong about that. Maybe they were using lasers from Coherent.

I'm still waiting for a "proper" unveiling of Laser TV. Perhaps it might happen at SID conference in May.

Front projection should benefit the most from lasers.

· Registered
50 Posts
You probably will not want the first generation any of those new technologies.

OLED have lifespan issues they are still working on.

Laser are a real unknown, there arn't any consumer devices using this kind of display. OLED at least has appeared in some small production devices.

· Registered
7,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven /forum/post/0

You have a point.

However, if Laser TVs would be used as projection (front or rear), then I can forget about it.

I'd do with OLED as it is the only upcoming flat panel TV technology (well....other than SED)

Without any SED in production, OLED is looking rather promising. I have been to Sony's website and several smaller version displays are geared for the market place. There's chatter on a 24" prototype (four 12 inch panels stitched together) so there's hope. 1000000:1 CR is something to look forward to.

· Registered
545 Posts
There was an Australian company that demoed a laser TV prototype earlier this year -- coinciding with their IPO. They claimed that they had Mitsubishi on board as a manufacturer to incorporate their light engine. Mitsubishi soon after disclaimed knowing absolutely anything about the company ([edit: Arasor]).

Edit: oops. Seems Mitsubishi did separately annouce a laser-based projection set. My mistake.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.