AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, it has been some time since I posted here, been reading quite a bit, but had not had much of reason to pose a question until now. Anyway, I have the opportunity to pick up a Pioneer PRO-151FD 60" Plasma or a PDP-5020, but as of now, the buydig OLED blowout has me reconsidering the LG 55" Curved OLED. For the record, I think the curve is a superfluous "affectation" that only offers a novelty factor. In short, I pretty much hate the curve, though it is a shallow curve, compared to Samsung's incarnations. Having seen the OLED at best buy, I wasn't particularly impressed, the colors didn't really blow me away like I thought they would and it seemed to have some sort of really aggressive ABL type thing happening, maybe a power save feature? Last thing, I noticed the white pixel in the quartet subpixel layout quite easily, actually in a way, it was actually a bit distracting, though honestly, perhaps I was just too close to the set. Though I have never had something "catch" my eye with Plasma or even LCD, so perhaps it actually will be a bit of a problem.

Anyway, I am looking at 2k for the OLED, which is an amazing price really, or literally half ($1k) for the Pioneer PRO-151 60". or a quarter that for the 5020. Both are used plasmas sets, though apparently have been used by videophiles, no games or pc usage. I guess I am wondering if I would be better suited going all out for the OLED or saving some cash and getting a more mature technology in the Pioneer Plasma. I owned the 8G Pioneer 42" model, it was a great TV, hard to believe the 9th Gen models could be even better (something to be excited about). I know I want to do OLED as soon as it's feasible but perhaps it is still too new a tech yet.

Last thing, perhaps worth mentioning, someone has a Panasonic ST60 close by, though they are asking the same price as the Pioneer. Are the Panasonic 60's ST/VT/ZT's really worth the prices I am seeing (compared to the Pioneers). I have heard the ST60 is uniquely bright, similar to the F8500, but suffers from some pretty bad IR. I have to admit, persistent IR would be the heck out of me. Anyway, all things considered, and this decision being largely subjective, what is the best way to go?

·
Banned
10,026 Posts
Hello all, it has been some time since I posted here, been reading quite a bit, but had not had much of reason to pose a question until now. Anyway, I have the opportunity to pick up a Pioneer PRO-151FD 60" Plasma or a PDP-5020, but as of now, the buydig OLED blowout has me reconsidering the LG 55" Curved OLED.
Please read through the following: How To Avoid Online HDTV Dealer Scams-HD GURU Investigates

AND PLEASE read the return policy CAREFULLY.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Last thing, perhaps worth mentioning, someone has a Panasonic ST60 close by, though they are asking the same price as the Pioneer. Are the Panasonic 60's ST/VT/ZT's really worth the prices I am seeing (compared to the Pioneers). I have heard the ST60 is uniquely bright, similar to the F8500, but suffers from some pretty bad IR. I have to admit, persistent IR would be the heck out of me. Anyway, all things considered, and this decision being largely subjective, what is the best way to go?
I love the picture on my ZT and the ST60 is supposed to be comparable according to review sites like cnet. Difference being mainly the anti-glare filter on the ZT is a little better. ST60 has high input lag, which is only important if you are gamer and sensitivive to that. Also note the panasonics have ABL, which you mention you don't like. Doesn't bother me in the least, but it might you. I'm not sure how the Pioneers compare on the ABL front. They are older so maybe they predate present power requirements?

However, if IR would drive you crazy, you may want to steer clear. I do get some IR on the ZT. Other owners have noted the same, while others say they don't see any. It is either panel variance or owner variance, or some mixture. I expect the ST is similar.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just as a side note there were at leas two sites that stated how close is ST to VT/ZT.
FWIW I had the ST and then upgraded to VT and I can honestly tell you that, for my eyes, there are a few very important aspects that makes VT miles (yes miles) better than ST: processing, gradation, DFC (almost absent on the VT) and overall color tracking. I did calibrate those displays and even if they calibrate almost to perfection in charts they look different with VT being much cleaner and cinematic than ST.

·
Registered
33,489 Posts
Soloist3, you had literally nothing good to say about OLED, so why would you even consider it at any price?

If I felt as you do, I certainly wouldn't consider it.

·
Banned
10,026 Posts
Just as a side note there were at leas two sites that stated how close is ST to VT/ZT.
FWIW I had the ST and then upgraded to VT and I can honestly tell you that, for my eyes, there are a few very important aspects that makes VT miles (yes miles) better than ST: processing, gradation, DFC (almost absent on the VT) and overall color tracking. I did calibrate those displays and even if they calibrate almost to perfection in charts they look different with VT being much cleaner and cinematic than ST.
Thanks for your input. I too have a few reviewers go out of their way to praise the ST to the point where they imply that paying more for a VT/ZT is silly.

Frankly, I'm surprised to see something countering that. Perhaps it's different from the 50 line to the 60.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the input. I really appreciate the Panasonic vs. Pioneer comparisons as I have very few opportunities to really compare the newer models. My Best Buy has been out of plasma for some time now and my closest Walmart has a TH-P60U50 brand new in box, but nothing on display (apparently it's been there for a few years now). To be honest, no one has really marveled at the U50's black or white levels so I assumed it was your bargain bin, unremarkable plasma (please correct me if I am wrong, as it is a closeout deal, something like $798).

Anyway, the Pioneers are from local sellers, no scam to worry about there, unless I drive to the sellers location and find that the TV has some undisclosed issue, at which point I would simply not buy the TV. The Buydig.com deal seems to be a bit "too good to be true", but then again Microcenter had that price for a bit. Coincidentally, a local seller also has an EC9300 for sale, just a few months old, barely used and for the same price anyway ($2k). Lots of options within a reasonable driving distance, a first for me, since almost nothing nice shows up near by me (I live in a small mountain town).

8mile13, any reason to go with the 5020 over the PRO-151FD other than price?

Last thing to mention, while I listed many negatives about OLED, the biggest advantage is of course the black levels. I have been reading about and anticipating OLED tech since my first 8G Kuro purchase. It IS the main reason I choose Samsung Galaxy phones over the rest, etc. I live for CRT like (or better in this case), black levels. Though I suppose lately, since ditching the Kuro and going with a mediocre Vizio LCD set, I have got a bit used to not having that great of black levels, so while I of course want to see these "perfect" blacks, I think these days getting extremely close in plasma is very appealing, more because of how well plasma does, well...almost everything else, and it's flat for god's sake (hate curved displays).

Last thing, everyone is probably thinking, "why did you sell your Kuro"...simple reason, my roommates were not responsible with using the TV, a problem that has since become a non-issue in my life.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Those Pioneers are 6 year old TVs (excellent build quality though) so it is risky, that is why i would go for both if you want to use them 4/5 years. If i only had to buy one of them i would go for the cheaper one, the 5020. The 151 is a better performer. I bought a KRP 500m last year but since it is risky i also bought a back up TV, the LX5090. Both are 9G Pioneers. Basically any 9G Pioneer will be fine..

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thats actually was what I was thinking, buy both 9g Pioneers, one as a backup. The next question becomes, what is a good price for a 151 In mint condition? The guy selling the 5020 is asking 549, sounds very reasonable. The 151 is asking 1200, we talked briefly about $1k, but yes, while these TV's are great in terms of PQ, they are also old and more prone to failure.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you have a pioneer krp or lx
They're is a better tv out there in every way possible.
The samsung s9c oled tv.
No point collecting the kuros and getting spare kuro tvs. Because the s9c is a worthy upgrade and has better picture quality

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
...wait for OLED to mature..
That's where I am right now. I have a 500M that I had to play the reset game with to get rid of the red tint but I am still really happy with the picture quality and black level. I think about two years away from really looking at an OLED purchase. The 500M will stay with me until it blows up though.:)

Reactions: craigyboy

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
However, if IR would drive you crazy, you may want to steer clear. I do get some IR on the ZT. Other owners have noted the same, while others say they don't see any. It is either panel variance or owner variance, or some mixture. I expect the ST is similar.
I get absolutely zero with anything. Even prolonged gaming use.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts