AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well finally I am able to afford a nice new TV but obviously I want to make sure that I buy something that is nice and will be able to last.

I have had my eye on the 242TFHD because of the 1080p support measure's. However after looking up on this TV I cant find many reviews on it at all and its making me think that this one isnt the most popular of all.

I am focused on the 42" line from the Olevia series as anything bigger is out of my budget and 37 is just not what I want. Knowing that the Olevia has numerous lines of the same size TV's im going for something that will be rounded for HD-DVD's, X360 with the new HDMI output, and so forth.

Let me know what you guys think, if the 1080p on that tv is worth the extra couple hundred or if its just all about the name.

Would prefer that the new TV has 2 HDMI's as well..Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I saw 4 very positive reviews on NewEgg and 9 mostly positive reviews on Sears.com (the tv is listed as 242FHDTV on Sears). It sounds like a pretty nice unit for the money, although I might wait for the pre-Christmas deal at Sears to come back ($899, no shipping charge with local pickup). Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought this tv from newegg, and I plan on posting a review on it soon.

With that being said i'm just a college student so I couldn't afford some crazy tv, but this one was definitely in my budget, and after purchasing it I must admit I was pleasently surprised....The picture on this thing has blown me away for the price. I haven't hooked up my xbox 360, but my ps3 looks crisp, vibrant, and just flat out amazing. I've watched 1 blu-ray movie so far and it almost seemed 3d. My g/f was blown away by how detailed and amazing everything looked and I gotta agree.

I'm not a videophile by all means so you don't have to take my word; however, for the price I really think this is a great tv. Like you I couldn't find any reviews, but I saw the thread on this forum about the 247tfhd, and decided to take the plunge(this one is indentical only smaller). Sure this tv suffers from some of the problems that a lot of lcd tvs suffer from(blacks not being super black when all the lights are off, light bleeding through whatever), but for $999 I can't really complain. I plan on using this thing as a monitor for my pc since it accepts 1080p over vga,component, and hdmi so yeah i'm excited about it lol.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will answe them as best I can.

ps- this tv really has a 6.5ms response time as opposed to the 8ms response time newegg claims.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well I found tons of reviews on this TV from various places on the web, GOOGLE is your friend...MOST of the reviews were very positive. I bought the TV Saturday from Target using a raincheck as it had been on sale a few weeks back, throw in 10% off for taking a Target visa card and I paid $807 plus tax. Hooked it up today, WOW, echoing brown cw's remark about his g/f: watching the Celts thrash the Pistons tonight my g/f remarked: WOW, that's a nice picture! I watched Vacancy on Blu Ray today and it was phenomenal...the PIP is a nice added bonus, the speakers are more than adequate, but crank up the surround sound system and FANTASTIC!!! Even the remote I have to say(and unless it's a Logitech Harmony I usually toss the tv remotes in a drawer) is pretty darn nice..I can't get my sony surround or Toshiba HD dvd devices to work on the remote, but I did get a Pioneer dvd recorder and Comcast STB to work...what annoys me? Having to cycle through the inputs, there's circumventions out there apparently in the name of HARMONY...

Thus far the only other annoyance I can report is I have a HDMI switcher(Joytech trilink) and when I switch amongst the PS3/HD DVD player and Comcast STB(all using HDMI 1) I sometimes have issues with the sound 'sticking', in other words it thinks I haven't switched devices, it doesn't always do it and IF I cycle through the inputs to get back to HDMI1 the sound corrects itself, it COULD be the HDMI switcher is the culprit(although this never happened on my old Polaroid 32" LCD.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts