AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guy's I'm New To This Thread I Was Wondering I Am Running A Reg Cable To The Tv Now I Am Getting Pay Per View Chanels On The Tv's Sub Chanels Is There Any Way To Keep This Going Like For Ever By The Sub Chanels I Mean 90.1 90.2 90.3 And So On Anybody Else Having The Issue
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPER69 /forum/post/0


Hey Guy's I'm New To This Thread I Was Wondering I Am Running A Reg Cable To The Tv Now I Am Getting Pay Per View Chanels On The Tv's Sub Chanels Is There Any Way To Keep This Going Like For Ever By The Sub Chanels I Mean 90.1 90.2 90.3 And So On Anybody Else Having The Issue

It sounds like you seeing other people's on demand streams. If you ask your question again with punctuation and some sentence structure I might be able to help you out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,268 Posts
So because the signal is sent unencypted it is OK to steal it??? Let me put that in terms you can understand, that are from your technology time period. If the cable company is sending you an analog signal that you are not paying for, yet is NOT SCAMBLED, you can take it for free without paying for it??? WRONG. That is stealing!!! Unless he is watching duplicated (meaning network) HD broadcasts without paying (which he is not) then he is stealing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniz /forum/post/0


So because the signal is sent unencypted it is OK to steal it??? Let me put that in terms you can understand, that are from your technology time period. If the cable company is sending you an analog signal that you are not paying for, yet is NOT SCAMBLED, you can take it for free without paying for it??? WRONG. That is stealing!!! Unless he is watching duplicated (meaning network) HD broadcasts without paying (which he is not) then he is stealing.


What an idiot. If you are paying for cable and they send additional programming into your house in the clear there is no law saying you can't watch it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster /forum/post/0


What an idiot. If you are paying for cable and they send additional programming into your house in the clear there is no law saying you can't watch it.

I suggest you re-read or in your case READ the user agreement with your cable co. This is illegal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,414 Posts
For analog cable:

If you call to unsubscribe or cancel service(s) and the cableco does not filter/disconnect services, that's on them and not stealing IMO. If you don't call... then yes, that's theft of service.


For digital cable channels:

Channels that the cableco does not want anyone to receive for "free" are encrypted at the head end. So, if you get them... (without using a illegal device/"black box), apparently they don't care and anyone with a QAM tuner can receive them. Getting VOD unencrypted is quite "normal" in many areas. Although, many times, you only get to watch for a few minutes sometimes since the channel(s) get frequently/dynamically reassigned. Also, you may have to suffer watching someone fast forwarding, rewinding, pausing... etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,414 Posts
Oh... so I guess if one informs the provider and the provider takes no action(s), then I should stop watching TV, keep calling and demand that they remove/disconnect/filter/encrypt etc... and wait for them to get around to it? I know of two people that cancelled cable video (retaining HSI) and still get all video........ for over two years.


Get real! All you are required to do is to inform them. That's it. If they don't act upon that then "you" are no longer liable.


As for digital... again, it's on them since it's encrypted at the head end. Every cable subscriber is capable of legally receiving whatever they decide to send 'in the clear'. I think that's the whole point of QAM tuners.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniz /forum/post/0


How's that stolen cable treating you?

So what exactly do you suggest he do?


-Cancel his cable because the cable company is sending him something for free.

-Get rid of his TV with the QAM tuner because it is picking up "illegal" signals.

-Stop watching any TV what so ever.


QAM tuners are perfectly legal, cable companies know they exist, it is their prerogative to send whatever channels they want to in the clear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/0


Oh... so I guess if one informs the provider and the provider takes no action(s), then I should stop watching TV, keep calling and demand that they remove/disconnect/filter/encrypt etc... and wait for them to get around to it? I know of two people that cancelled cable video (retaining HSI) and still get all video........ for over two years.


Get real! All you are required to do is to inform them. That's it. If they don't act upon that then "you" are no longer liable.


Ratman you've gone too far with this one. Watching TV while not paying for it at all is cable theft.
Much different than watching non-scambled digital.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,414 Posts
I don't believe so. If they do not come to your residence to properly degrade/remove service, what are you supposed to do? Keep calling them?


As an example (analog only):

Say I'm an extended basic cable subscriber with HSI ($100 per month). I contact the provider that I only want "antenna/lifeline" service and HSI ($50 per month). They never do anything. The subscriber is "wrong"?


All one has is a cable feed. Any external methods/devices used to "control" subscribed programming is entirely the provider's responsibility after I make that call.


BTW.... I am NOT one of those individuals that I've referenced.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top