AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At lower volumes, on any input/material, the sound on my Olevia has sort of a "wind" in the background (almost like if you are using a camcorder and wind blows on the mic, you get a "whoosh" in addition to the regular sounds you are recording).

Seems to go away once the volume is higher, but I dont always need the volume that high. I thought I read something about this issue here, but I cant find it now.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is there any known fix? Eventually Ill run a home theater setup where the Olevia is, so I suppose that would shove the issue under the carpet, but if there is a quick fix to resolve it completely Id love to hear it.

Thanks!

-Chris

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also have this problem, and it was mentioned in the Official Olevia 537h post, on about page 18. Someone else had the exact same problem, but never came to any conclusion about it.

I'm not sure if calling tech support will help, because the guy in the other thread attempted that to no avail. Not sure what to do really.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does your issue seem to go away once the volume is higher? I noticed it at least gets better, and may go away completely as I raise the volume.

While I would like it fixed, the rest of the TV is perfect so Id only want a fix if I could do it myself. Thats why I might just end up with an inexpensive home theater setup for it.

-Chris

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yea the problem goes away when the volume is higher. It's only present when the volume is between zero and about 8 clicks. I think it only goes away when it's higher because the sound overpowers the low buzzing noise - basically the distortion sound is not proportional to the overall volume.

I think someone in another thread mentioned that even when they had a sound system plugged in, they could hear the noise coming from their subwoofer, so I don't know if it will go away if you go the route of a home theater setup.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldnt be using anything off the TV for audio at that point (except for maybe the OTA digital audio output, btu Im not sure that would pass the noise).

My sat receiver and DVD player would feed to the home theater receiver and then to the speakers, so the TV wouldnt be involved. I would just turn off the built in speakers. I would hope the digital feed from the TV doesnt have the distortion, but I suppose it would be a good experiment to try.........if it does, then its not just a speaker issue (which so far it seems like it might be).

And for some reason I dont remember my set doing this from the beginning.......but I cant pinpoint when it started (if it wasnt always there).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Something just happened to me that I think fixed the problem. When I came home from work, my girlfriend told me that the TV didn't work anymore. The volume wouldn't respond and the colors were all off. She had unplugged and replugged the TV earlier to try and fix it, although I'm not sure exactly what she did. Either way, I went to factory settings in the menu, and then put the TV in home mode, because it had somehow gone back to showroom mode. After I did this, the audio issue seemed to have dissappeared, but I didn't have much time to check it thouroughly. So you could try doing that - resetting the factory settings. Also, my TV didn't have the audio problem when I first got it either, so it might make sense why resetting the factory settings could help it, because over the course of weeks, something might happen to the set from changing the settings.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ill give that a try tonight (was going to try it for the heck of it anyway).

Nice to see it goes away somehow, maybe. I still love the TV though.......even up against the new Vizio 37 from Costco hooked up to an OTA HD feed, the Olevia looked better to me.

-Chris

·
Registered
997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisexv6 /forum/post/0

At lower volumes, on any input/material, the sound on my Olevia has sort of a "wind" in the background (almost like if you are using a camcorder and wind blows on the mic, you get a "whoosh" in addition to the regular sounds you are recording).

Seems to go away once the volume is higher, but I dont always need the volume that high. I thought I read something about this issue here, but I cant find it now.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is there any known fix? Eventually Ill run a home theater setup where the Olevia is, so I suppose that would shove the issue under the carpet, but if there is a quick fix to resolve it completely Id love to hear it.

Thanks!

-Chris

This is true if BASS is set higher than around 50-60% at lower volume levels. Once you crank down the BASS (assuming you are using the internal speakers) the problem will go away permanently. It's been brought up in other threads before, and I myself had the same issue with my 537H until I turned down the Bass control.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The thing is I have the bass down to zero and I still get the issue. Also played with treble and it didnt fix the issue.

I also even wonder if removing the tabletop stand might have something to do with it, because the screws that hold it in are so long I wonder if they are meant to be put back in place without the stand, its almost like they hold the whole bottom of the case together. Its a stretch, but it could also explain why I don't remember always having this issue (I was using the TV for a little bit on the floor before wall mounting it).

-Chris

·
Registered
997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisexv6 /forum/post/0

The thing is I have the bass down to zero and I still get the issue. Also played with treble and it didnt fix the issue.

I also even wonder if removing the tabletop stand might have something to do with it, because the screws that hold it in are so long I wonder if they are meant to be put back in place without the stand, its almost like they hold the whole bottom of the case together. Its a stretch, but it could also explain why I don't remember always having this issue (I was using the TV for a little bit on the floor before wall mounting it).

-Chris

Have you flashed your tv to a newer firmware? It's very easy to do. My tv had an overall "Yellow cast" color to it when I set it to the 65k color temp when I first got it. When I finally flashed it to the newer firmware, it corrected the color problem (amoungst other things it fixed). I suspect that the flashing corrected some settings that might have changed because of handling during shipping, or whatever. So, now I am quite happy with my 537H, and got a killer deal on it on Black Friday.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I refuse to update the firmware
there was nothing in the release notes that I needed fixed, so I didnt want to risk hosing the whole works because of an unncessary firmware update.

I dont have the yellowish tinge at 6500, so I dont need that fix. Unless they say it fixes the distorted audio, Id want to avoid flashing the firmware. Someone else mentioned their issue went away with a "Factory Reset", so Im going to give that a shot first.

Just for the heck of it I might try putting the stand screws back in. You never know I guess.

-Chris

·
Registered
12 Posts
I lowered the bass as well to try and fix it previously, but it didn't help either.

About the firmware - I got my TV in late november, and it came with the "B" firmware, which is what I see is the latest one that Olevia has on its site, supposedly released in mid-december. Is it possible my TV had this firmware prior to it's release on their website? Or is this a different B firmware that was older?

I just want to make sure I'm not running an older firmware.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Resetting to factory settings seems to have resolved the issue. no idea what that actually did to fix it, but Ill take it. Just need to re-calibrate the color and stuff.

As an FYI - anyone that hears a "rattle" in the TV if they brush by it (make it shake, etc), I found that its the speaker connection wires rattling against the case. So its not like there are loose parts
just the snap connector they use.

As far as firmware, I dont know the exact "latest" version. Mine has 0807 in it, so Im wondering if that means August 7, in which case I definitely dont have the newest (released on Dec 4 I think, but I dont know the full version number).

-Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.