AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that there is a 55" Olevia LCD at Costco. We're looking to replace a 47" Vizio in our conference room with a larger screen. This is primarily for computer presentations, although we do use it for training films, etc. The Vizio works well, but we've decided that it's a bit small. I searched the forum for the Olevia 55, but didn't get any hits. Costco lists this as model 255TFHD.

I'm interested in a couple of points. (1). Does this thing have the glass covering that many Olevia's have? If so, how reflective is that if the panel is wall mounted facing slightly downward? (2). This is a somewhat slow panel at 10ms. We won't be watching sports on the panel. I have had a 16 ms computer panel sometime back, and don't recall to much motion ghosting. But, I'm wondering how this panel will behave.

If anyone has this panel, I'd appreciated your assesssment as to it's quality and suitability. The Olevia web page is remarkably concise on specs, listing only the bare minimum. For example, the VGA connection is listed as "up to 1920x1080". It doesn't specify the specific resolution steps available. We probably wouldn't run the panel at full res for computer presentations, but would be more interested in 1360x768 so that text would be large enough to read.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm trying to find some more info on it too. Olevia has it listed on their site(finally) but can't find any reviews. I also am wondering why this lcd has a 10ms reponse time. I am thinking about getting 1 but if the response time affects sports watching or pc gaming I may have to look at the 52 inchers again...Just came from Costco and they didnt't have it.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I sure hope someone on here has seen this first hand or has it at home, I got a email from a retail store that has it on an insane sale this week, and has me ready to pull the trigger.. however that 10ms has me worried

hud

·
Registered
499 Posts
Costco has it...and I'd love to hear some feedback on it as well

this is one LCD that I would be seriously interested in but Im not sure about that scaler and processor?

Is it as good as the one in the 747i?...which is supposedly the best one on the market?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does anyone own this set? The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is the 10ms response time though without ever seeing it not sure if its that big a deal. FWIW the 65" at Sams Club is 6ms.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gores95 /forum/post/13193695

Does anyone own this set? The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is the 10ms response time though without ever seeing it not sure if its that big a deal. FWIW the 65" at Sams Club is 6ms.

I don't think anyone does. There are two AVS forum websites for this tv (this is the other http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post13095972 ) and not one of them has a post from an owner.

If this tv is any good at all, at

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought it from Costco. Was delivered on thursday. I replaced my Westinghouse 37" 1080p set with this. I am pretty amazed at the picture quality considering the price. Does not have an auto-source detection like the Westinghouse
. Blacks levels are decent (could be better). The sound quality is sub-par.

I have run HDMI with HD-DVD, Xbox 360 with component and S-Video (satellite). The picture is really good and so far when playing xbox games I haven't noticed any significant motion blur. There are lots of picture setting options. I prefer to leave things at a 1:1 setting with no cropping for the Xbox and HD-DVD.

Menu navigation is poorly implemented in my opinion and I wish there were dedicated source buttons on the remote. No dead pixels discovered.

There are two vertical bars equa-distant from the edges, they are about an inch thick. Hardly noticable, but if you look closely at the blue screen pic you can see them.

All in all I am happy with the purchase thus far.

Note: Each picture has a bright spot on the upper right part of the screen. This is due to an external light source I couldn't get rid of at the moment. Color level is set to "Native" for each setting. There is a 6500K color option.

Xbox HD Video

PC Screen (1920x1080, 32bit)

S-Video Source

Xbox 360 Game

HD-DVD Movie

PC-Game (1920x1080)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the pics.

One question, does the screen have a glossy appearance or a flat matte type appearance?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Matte finish

I have to say that the more I watch this thing, the happier I am with it. Granted I am sure that there are plenty better displays out there for more money. The 10ms response time doesn't seem to have much of a negative impact to my eyes. Based on this display, I wouldn't even hesitate to purchase the 65" version.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for the pictures, and the review. I am hoping others will chime in. I am getting this set delivered next week. I will give my review when the set arrives.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I happened to notice the dimensions are almost identical to the 52" model. I wonder if this is really 55"? It doesn't appear to be much different in style from the photos. I have always been bad at math- but it seems strange to me.

I saw the 65 and it looked pretty sweet compared to other brands, but its out of my range.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Anybody else get this yet? Are the blacks that bad, or are people just saying that because of the spec numbers? It seems to me the japanese brands are using inflated specs.

I saw one with triple the contrast ratio of a plasma sitting next to it, and the plasma had better black levels, though it is getting closer.

I wonder if Olevia is under contract not to outdo Sharp or LG in its specs in order to buy the panels.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts