AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People help me out here, please!

Due to my own stupidity, my Olevia 537H sat in its box for the entire warranty period. Now, right out of the box, it won't even power-on. All it does is shine a bright blue light back at me.

I've tried to update the firmware from:

olevia.ftpaccess.cc/support/OLEVIA/Firmware/FW_2008-04/

However, at least twice during the update the installer requests that the TV be turned on (remember that is the problem to be fixed). Nevertheless, Step 1 of the update appears to go just fine, but then hangs about 7 seconds into Step 2.

If anyone has any insight on how to get past this, it would be greatly appreciated, Thank You !!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
You are being patient as this TV is know to be a slow turning on TV. On mine the Blue LED turns off a couple seconds after I press the button to turn it on. Then it takes another 30seconds or so to turn on.

No point in flashing firmware if your TV doesn't work as thats just going to make things worse if you screw up the flash

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
Sounds like the problem I had with my first 537h. Not even three months after I bought it (most of which was spent in the box as I readied for my move) the power inverter blew... olevia's diagnosis, not mine. All I would get is the blue light when it was off, nothing when you turned it on. Fortunately I was still under warranty. Have to say, the way the customer service guy jumped to the conclusion about the power inverter leads me to believe he had seen a few of these before.

New one (looked refurbished, actually) has been working fine for the past 2 years... knock on wood.

Edit: btw, I just noticed, you do know the blue light indicates the panel is OFF right? When you turn this thing on the blue light goes away. One of the reason's it ended up in the spare room instead of the bedroom...

·
Registered
294 Posts
I too had similar issues while upgrading the firmware. Do it again and remember that every power cycle should be done with at least 10s gap (not sure why.. may be to give the capcitors time to discharge completely). Here is relevent portion from my post:

"The experience was not too pleasant, because on my first attempt (yes I was using XP), the Step 2 failed at verifyFlash stage. After that the TV refused to power on. I thought that I bricked the TV. But I tried the step 1 and step 2 again and this time the update was successful. So it seems you can do it over and over. The power on-off cycle in between step 1 and step 2 may be important and should be followed as per the instruction."
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post15396683

Also, I'd recommend you to download from the relevent FM directory depending on your TV. e.g. I downloaded from http://olevia.ftpaccess.cc/support/O...1-037000EGS13/ . Not sure what are the differences between different FM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x /forum/post/15549338

Sounds like the problem I had with my first 537h. Not even three months after I bought it (most of which was spent in the box as I readied for my move) the power inverter blew... olevia's diagnosis, not mine. All I would get is the blue light when it was off, nothing when you turned it on. Fortunately I was still under warranty. Have to say, the way the customer service guy jumped to the conclusion about the power inverter leads me to believe he had seen a few of these before.

sage11x - Thanks for the good advice and it is somewhat encouraging. A power inverter doesn't sound like a difficult part to swap out. Did you happen to see the tech pull that out and can you describe what it looked like?

If nothing else pans out in the next few days, and if parts are available reasonably priced, I'm going to take it apart and see what can be swapped out.

Anyone have any good leads on parts or schematics?

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
Wish I could help but olevia's fix was to send me a new tv- a "new" refurbished unit I mean...

Mildly upseting as I had just bought the tv new 3 months prior, only to end up with one of the cost-saving refurb units I had avoided buying in the first place.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
I too have a Blue light only Olevia but it is an older model LT37HVS , I replaced the power supply myself but that was not the fix (might try the inverter if it is still available for my set) . I did discover that there are many Olevia parts on ebay for the 2 , 3 , 4 and 5 series lcd tv's ( seems like the same seller ) .

- Jason

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousikb /forum/post/15549581

I too had similar issues while upgrading the firmware. Do it again and remember that every power cycle should be done with at least 10s gap (not sure why.. may be to give the capcitors time to discharge completely). Here is relevent portion from my post:

"The experience was not too pleasant, because on my first attempt (yes I was using XP), the Step 2 failed at verifyFlash stage. After that the TV refused to power on. I thought that I bricked the TV. But I tried the step 1 and step 2 again and this time the update was successful. So it seems you can do it over and over. The power on-off cycle in between step 1 and step 2 may be important and should be followed as per the instruction."
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post15396683

Yes, I looked over this thread carefully (its a great post!, thanks). Unfortunately, I loaded and reloaded last night until I was blue, ... and the updater just wants to hang on step 2 (I get an eternal hour glass after clicking OK after the unplug/replug step).

A potential clue is that during the unplug/replug in step 1, it takes about 3 seconds or so after the unplug to hear the bleep on the computer indicating the USB device is no longer plugged in. However, after the unplug in step 2, it takes maybe 15 seconds for the same bleep. For some reason the USB connection (or power to the USB connection lasts much longer in step 2, but I don't know what to make of that if anything ??).

The blue light never flickers.

·
Registered
294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 537HBlueLight /forum/post/15560877

A potential clue is that during the unplug/replug in step 1, it takes about 3 seconds or so after the unplug to hear the bleep on the computer indicating the USB device is no longer plugged in. However, after the unplug in step 2, it takes maybe 15 seconds for the same bleep. For some reason the USB connection (or power to the USB connection lasts much longer in step 2, but I don't know what to make of that if anything ??).

The blue light never flickers.

You may want to use the USB driver I have used. There are multiple USB driver in olevias site. The one I used seems to have worked. I read somewhere that, sometimes the TV's baud rate and PC's baud rate doesn't match (ultimately it's a USB to serial driver) and that leads to problem during step 2. I am not sure, how to change the baud rate from the PC though. The 10s gap may be too short so try to power it off for at least 5 min. I remember that when step 2 failed. I tried the step 2 again and again and this time it didn't work at all. So I told my DW that I have bricked the TV and its time to buy a new one with a helpless face. I was pissed off for doing the firmware upgrade, for a trivial reason of using the logitech harmony discrete input. Anyway, She's is used to all this stuff.

Anyway, I didn't lose my hope. I thought that in worst case I will try the serial port upgrade method (thats how olevia tech support does it I believe as per their documentation) because somehow the USB connection is not working. I tried it from scratch again after another power cycle with step 1 (which succeeded although the TV was in "standby" mode with the blue light). Took a long break after the power off. Made sure that all the capacitors are discharged, all the flash content is discharged or whatever it is (I made it up in my mind). After this, I swiched on. Saw the blue light I switched the TV on and saw the olevia logo and then the blue screen (so all hopes are not lost yet and at least it has come up). I heard that beep (indicating that USB is probably connected now). I tried the step 2 this time and waited holding my breath and fingers crossed. This time the step 2 worked fine. After the power cycle the TV came up (although all my OTA channels were gone.. expected). I checked the harmony discrete input and it worked this time. Now it was bragging time and how cool I have made the setup with only one remote. Anyway, coming to the topic, my suggestion is, if nothing works try the serial port upgrade method (provided yoor pc/notebook has a serial port).

Also, the blue light problem (TV will not switch on from standby) is still there even after the upgrade and happens sometimes (so far happened twice after the upgrade). The solution is as before, power off the entire thing wait for couple of minutes and then switch it on.

May be OT, I also read somewhere that the initial batch of sharp blu-ray player (which was selling for $112 recently in 6ave) also has this kind of problem, and the tech support suggested that you have to wait for an hour after disconnecting the power and then try again. Man, technology have made life so complex !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got my hands on a power supply from a working set (537H-B12) and swapped it with mine (537-B11) - it is shorter, but fit on 4 of the existing screw holes. Anyway, the good news is that the set booted right up. So, I'm pretty certain that at least one cause of the blue light special is the power supply.

Unfortunately, I can't keep the power supply I swapped into my set, so I'm looking for another power supply and I'm going to start a new thread and try and figure out how to fix the power supply.

thanks for everyones help & suggestions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts