Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found on HDBeat.com

http://www.hdbeat.com/2005/08/18/oln...and-carry-nhl/

OLN HD to launch in October and carry NHL

Posted Aug 18, 2005, 2:43 PM ET by Kevin C. Tofel

Filed under: Deals, News, Programming

We indicated earlier this month that Comcast was working with the NHL to carry games in HD. Looks like it's a done deal and will coincide with the launch of OLN's new HD channel, aptly named "OLN HD". OLN will carry at least 58 regular season hockey games nationwide, with most games on Mondays and Tuesdays. Watch for the first face-off on October 5th, when OLN broadcasts the Rangers vs. the Flyers.

I'm glad to see another HD channel, but I'm curious about a few things. What happens to the "NHL Center Ice" premium package that some providers used to offer? This package was comprised of numerous PPV (Pay Per View) channels that carried 1,100 hockey games each season. How will local blackout rules apply to the new OLN coverage?

Gee, just when we get hockey back, I get the funny feeling I still won't get to watch the local team, especially in HD. I do receive OLN on my Dish Network feed, but what are the odds that OLN HD will get picked up by a non-Comcast provider?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Its a very guarded yay for me. It might only show up on Comcast and maybe some cable operations that show INHD. So until its a national available channel on satellite, its wait and see for me.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
For the HUNDREDTH time, that is OLN HD Video on Demand -- not a full time OLN HD channel.

You should probably edit the title of this thread so even more people don't get confused.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102
For the HUNDREDTH time, that is OLN HD Video on Demand -- not a full time OLN HD channel.

You should probably edit the title of this thread so even more people don't get confused.
So you are absolutely positive there will be no OLN HD channel?

PS - that's why I put question marks in the title - still unconfirmed either way.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tec1271
So you are absolutely positive there will be no OLN HD channel?

PS - that's why I put question marks in the title - still unconfirmed either way.
No, I'm not positive. But the OLN link from the HD Beat link you provided is to the OLN HD Video on Demand site.

The HD Beat writer mis-read the OLN page.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102
No, I'm not positive. But the OLN link from the HD Beat link you provided is to the OLN HD Video on Demand site.

The HD Beat writer mis-read the OLN page.
Indeed. I must say, if only on VOD - pretty retarded to pay NHL rights and then show only HD on VOD in lieu of live.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tec1271
Indeed. I must say, if only on VOD - pretty retarded to pay NHL rights and then show only HD on VOD in lieu of live.
Comcast is saying they will provide an HD feed of at least some of the games. These games will probably appear on INHD1 and or INHD2 on Comcast systems. DirecTv could put them on a "special events" HD channel.

I'm sure Comcast will EVENTUALLY launch a full-time OLD HD channel -- but it will probably take a while.

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
If I were running either DirecTV or Dish, I wouldn't add any Comcast NHL channel until and unless Comcast RSNs were made available to me (at the very least for the out of market packages) and InHD was also made available.

And until that time I would (by Oct. 1) move OLN off my basic package and stick it in the sports tier with the RSNs.

Let those who want it pay for it.

In DirecTV's case I might move The Golf Channel and perhaps Biography to my basic tier to compensate.

I am sure there is something similar Charlie can do.

I would deprive OLN of the 26+ million basic subs of E* and D* unless Comcast wants to play ball in other areas where it has been intransigent to date.

Comcast expects DirecTV to add all those homes (which it needs to avoid penalties to the NHL) and also pay more under a new contract for OLN.

It is time for DirecTV to play just the same kind of hardball that Brian Roberts seems to enjoy.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Good point Fred, it'd be peotic for DirTV and E* to do it around christmas,when OLN will be wanting higher fees.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa
If I were running either DirecTV or Dish, I wouldn't add any Comcast NHL channel until and unless Comcast RSNs were made available to me (at the very least for the out of market packages) and InHD was also made available.

And until that time I would (by Oct. 1) move OLN off my basic package and stick it in the sports tier with the RSNs.

Let those who want it pay for it.

In DirecTV's case I might move The Golf Channel and perhaps Biography to my basic tier to compensate.

I am sure there is something similar Charlie can do.

I would deprive OLN of the 26+ million basic subs of E* and D* unless it wants to play ball in other areas where it has been intransigent to date.

Comcast expects DirecTV to add all those homes (which it needs to avoid penalties to the NHL) and also pay more under a new contract for OLN.

It is time for DirecTV to play just the same kind of hardball that Brian Roberts seems to enjoy.
I would love see take a stand with this issue and hopefully get Comcast Philly finally on D* along with the rest of the Comcast RSNs in HD. Shame on the NHL too for not looking past the bills and giving fans a fair oppurtunity to watch games. Instead they now are going to be caught up in a bitter fight between D* and Comcast that has already begun to gain more momentum.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I recently read a article I believe at zap2it where they anounced the NHL and OLN deal and several others.The first thing to note is that the NHL made it part of the contract that evrey game must me made to Sat companies and they can't do any of there INHD type of stuff. Also I read from another article from a few weeks ago talking about how Comcast wanted to turn OLN into a serouis rival to ESPN. So I'd say the chances are very good we will be getting a OLN HD channel pretty fast even if you have D* or E*.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
An OLH HD channel is in the works but I would not expect to see it until some time in 2006. There is nothing preventing the NHL games from being shown on INHD provided that they are offered to DBS also which D* and E* can offer on a special events channel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here's a response I just received today regarding a query as to what HD NHL programming will be available to DIRECTV subscribers:

"Thanks for your interest in the NHL on DIRECTV. The NHL recently announced a multi-year agreement that will make OLN (formerly The Outdoor Life Network) the new national television home for the NHL. Under the terms of the agreement, OLN will show at least 58 games during the 2005-2006 regular season, as well as the NHL All-Star Game and coverage of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

While a schedule of games is not yet available, OLN is available on DIRECTV channel 608 and is included in any TOTAL CHOICE base package. Games available on OLN will not be available as a part of our NHL Center Ice sports subscription.

I don't have any information on NHL games being broadcast in HD. Please stay tuned to DirecTV for more information on the upcoming NHL game season.

Thanks again for writing. We hope you enjoy the upcoming hockey season.

Sincerely,

Christina

DIRECTV Customer Service"

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have never been a hockey fan, but I would like to watch a game in HD. I just hope that the changes to the rules of the game will not ruin the game.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
OLN HD is on INHD, at the minimum.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolowar
I have never been a hockey fan, but I would like to watch a game in HD. I just hope that the changes to the rules of the game will not ruin the game.
I think most hockey fans agree the new rules can only be good, and maybe didn't even go far enough.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.