AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 457 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner /forum/post/20929048


I printed out an old movie poster and had it framed at Hobby Lobby


Nice poster, but I think you spent too much. An original half sheet on this title will generally go for $20-30 at auction. The nice thing about half sheets is that they are a stock size for frames. You can usually pick up something pretty nice for $20-30 on sale at Michaels or Hobby Lobby or Aarons. A custom framing job will cost well over $100 for a half sheet. I could probably put this package together for around $50.


The problem is that you never know when a particular title is going to come up for auction. If you are flexible, lots of deals to be had at poster auction sites like auctions.emovieposter.com, www.movieposterbid.com and movieposters.ha.com.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j /forum/post/20943056


Nice poster, but I think you spent too much. An original half sheet on this title will generally go for $20-30 at auction. The nice thing about half sheets is that they are a stock size for frames. You can usually pick up something pretty nice for $20-30 on sale at Michaels or Hobby Lobby or Aarons. A custom framing job will cost well over $100 for a half sheet. I could probably put this package together for around $50.


The problem is that you never know when a particular title is going to come up for auction. If you are flexible, lots of deals to be had at poster auction sites like auctions.emovieposter.com, www.movieposterbid.com and movieposters.ha.com.


Thanks for the information, I had no idea that you could pick up an original for that little, I will keep an eye on these two sites and see what I can get. I'd love an Errol Flynn Robin Hood but I bet that would cost a lot more. I probably should have printed that one out first.


Ran all the speaker wire last night, I was amazed at how much cable I used up for 7 channels and 3 for subs. I started laying out the room with the lines drawn on the floor, I'm not sure if the front of the room is going to work with an AT screen, take a look and let me know if this is enough clearance when you come through the door (plus the visible portion of the stage will be very shallow)



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner /forum/post/20939308


That is a Port-A-Mate MegaVise. It may be a Menards house brand, they had it sitting next to the Rockwell Jawhorse so I was able to get a close look at both, it looked like a part for part remake of the Jawhorse so I felt like it was a good deal at half the price.


The theater room is 100% complete on framing, the drywaller wants to get in there to do the work next Saturday which would mean I have to get the electrical, acoustic caulking, insulating and all the clips and hat channel completed this week at night after work. It seems like I have good intentions to work on it every night but then I get home from work and just sit down on the couch "for a minute" and turn on the tv, and then I lack the energy to get back up and go to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner /forum/post/20943227


Thanks for the information, I had no idea that you could pick up an original for that little, I will keep an eye on these two sites and see what I can get. I'd love an Errol Flynn Robin Hood but I bet that would cost a lot more. I probably should have printed that one out first.


Ran all the speaker wire last night, I was amazed at how much cable I used up for 7 channels and 3 for subs. I started laying out the room with the lines drawn on the floor, I'm not sure if the front of the room is going to work with an AT screen, take a look and let me know if this is enough clearance when you come through the door (plus the visible portion of the stage will be very shallow)




Just tell the drywaller (my guy?) to wait until you are ready...... Wait until you are ready!


Take a bunch of pictures of the entire layout of the basement. All the studs, wiring, etc. You probably already did this.


Your front stage will be small, but if you don't care don't worry. I think you HAVE to go AT. Don't screw up like I did!



How deep is it behind your mark? 12-16"?


Where are you putting the DTS10? Growler towards the rear of the room in that cubbyhole?


I'm sure your LCR will fit behind there, even if you change speakers most should...especially pro audio types. Dunno about sub possibilities.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner /forum/post/20946252


its about 27 inches behind that line marked SCREEN, but remember that the hat channel and drywall are going to eat up 3" of that.

You aren't doing drywall on the foundation wall behind the screen are you? Or.....


27 inches....should be fine.


Did you pick out a screen yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yes absolutely doing double drywall plus clips and hat channel behind the screen. After that there will be 24" available for the speakers.


I will have 2" of OC703 but Ted's instructions for the clips shows a method to use blocking to gain some additional space. I believe it's meant for ceiling use but I'll call him and verify that it's ok to use it on the walls too. I might go that route on both the front and back walls as well as the ceiling. 2-3" isn't that much in the overall room but it would be nice to have that extra depth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner /forum/post/20946638


I will have 2" of OC703 but Ted's instructions for the clips shows a method to use blocking to gain some additional space. I believe it's meant for ceiling use but I'll call him and verify that it's ok to use it on the walls too.

You can do this on the walls, but the channels will run vertically in that case. Just run the channels all the way to the floor so the channel won't slide down further. Then attach the drywall
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Got quite a bit done this weekend. All the speaker and electrical wiring is complete.


The cross bracing for the clips is all in and I'm working my way through the clips tonight. Tomorrow the insulation should be completely in, Tuesday night we are running the HVAC flex. Drywalling will be done next weekend. I'm hiring out the taping and mudding.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Few things -


- my estimate of insulation completion was seriously off


- hanging insulation is not nearly as fun as I expected it to be


- after a miserable night of trying to cut the roxul with a razor blade, I remembered reading someones thread where they cut it using an electric carving knife. I gave that a try and it's perfect. As long as my wife doesn't find out I'm using her good carving knife to cut insulation in the basement...



Greg if you have an hour free tonight, tomorrow or Friday to give me a hand, let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner /forum/post/20979131


Few things -


- my estimate of insulation completion was seriously off


- hanging insulation is not nearly as fun as I expected it to be


- after a miserable night of trying to cut the roxul with a razor blade, I remembered reading someones thread where they cut it using an electric carving knife. I gave that a try and it's perfect. As long as my wife doesn't find out I'm using her good carving knife to cut insulation in the basement...



Greg if you have an hour free tonight, tomorrow or Friday to give me a hand, let me know.



Insulation...sucks. Well only if you are an idiot and try and move around with your extra open faced stuff in the summer in the crawl space above your garage thinking it will help in the winter for your kids rooms.


I didn't think it was too bad doing the walls at least. And the electric carving knifes are like $10 at Walmart or online. That was the best for the OC703 by far. So easy.


I fear I may be priming and painting the F20s on Friday, and I work late tonight....


Update?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ceiling insulation is in and the HVAC flex is in for the supplies, I will work on the returns tonight.


The roxul only fills the first 1/3 of each cavity, I have plenty of room if I want to add some faced fiberglass batts but I don't know if there is any additional acoustic benefit to piling on top of the roxul.






I may work on some of the drywalling this weekend but I need to check with Ted and see what order the sheets go up or if it matters much. Also if you have to always end each sheet halfway down the hat channel, like you would if it were going against studs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,780 Posts
Really, once an air cavity is 50% - 70% full, there's not a real improvement adding more insulation.


Take a peek at the WhisperClip SIM for drywall application diagrams, but essentially your first layer is ceiling, then walls. Then celing again, often perpendicular to the first layer, then the second layer on the wall, also perpendicular.


This is the great advantage of multi-layered applications that comes with field installations. Exotic drywall in single layers will always combat seams and seal failures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The Berklines are coming in today from UPS, I'm nowhere near ready for them though



Worked all weekend and it seems like no visible progress aside from:





It took a while to pick all that up from Lowe's and carry it downstairs. Many thanks to my friend CJ for helping with it all, I doubt he knew what he was getting into when I asked him to help me move some drywall.


The clips and channel are all installed, I'm glad it's done but I'm almost wishing I had skipped them altogether. I hope they turn out to be worth it.




I borrowed a drywall lift from Woolly last night, might try and get a few panels hung this evening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Nice, going. Looking good so far. Subscribed. Hope the rest of the drywalling goes ok. I was thinking about doing the clips and hat channel but in the end it wasn't really worth it for my application.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I think I made a good Craigslist score yesterday. There was a post from a guy selling "gently used" Dricore panels for $2 each.


I drove over to check them out last night, it was a bunch of guys in their 20's who had rented a split entry home and were using it as an office to develop Iphone games, they had workstations all throughout the house and the dricore was being used over the top of the house carpet.


Their game making was going so well that they had outgrown the house and were moving to a real office space. I bought all of their Dricore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner /forum/post/21041433


I think I made a good Craigslist score yesterday. There was a post from a guy selling "gently used" Dricore panels for $2 each.


I drove over to check them out last night, it was a bunch of guys in their 20's who had rented a split entry home and were using it as an office to develop Iphone games, they had workstations all throughout the house and the dricore was being used over the top of the house carpet.


Their game making was going so well that they had outgrown the house and were moving to a real office space. I bought all of their Dricore.

That is a steal.


Have you and Mike completed up to drywall stage yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The first and second layers of drywall are done. I would be just fine with never having to work with greenglue for the rest of my life.


I had a minor greenglue disaster over the weekend while trying to hang a 4x8 5/8th" sheet solo. I had it coated in greenglue and hoisted it up horizontally against the ceiling, while holding it in place I reached for my impact driver so I could screw it in...and found that the impact driver was just out of reach.


Tried to hold the drywall up while grabbing out for the impact driver and the whole thing came crashing down, breaking up the drywall, greenglue flying all over.




It's ugly and it was frustrating but I guess since it will be covered with insulation and behind the screenwall nobody will ever see it.



Started in on the soffits, using a design that I saw from Big and Jesto. I wasn't sure they would be very strong but Big assured me it was, and of course he was right.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner /forum/post/21094850


The first and second layers of drywall are done. I would be just fine with never having to work with greenglue for the rest of my life.


I had a minor greenglue disaster over the weekend while trying to hang a 4x8 5/8th" sheet solo. I had it coated in greenglue and hoisted it up horizontally against the ceiling, while holding it in place I reached for my impact driver so I could screw it in...and found that the impact driver was just out of reach.


Tried to hold the drywall up while grabbing out for the impact driver and the whole thing came crashing down, breaking up the drywall, greenglue flying all over.




It's ugly and it was frustrating but I guess since it will be covered with insulation and behind the screenwall nobody will ever see it.

Yep, it will do just fine. By the way, how was it installing the drywall with the channels? Did you have a hard time finding your channels to screw in to? Wow, I feell like you and me are neck and neck but you're gona surpass me while I'm gone.
I've only started on my soffits.
 
21 - 40 of 457 Posts
Top