AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the YHT-585 from best buy, with the HTR-6050 receiver. I saw that it had two hdmi inputs, and one hdmi output which i thought would work perfectly for my htmi hd cable box and dvd player.

Well, after hooking everything up and getting no sound from the speakers, I opened up the manual to see the following line plastered all over: "hdmi only passes video and audio to the tv, and won't output sound to the yamaha speakers".

WTF. are you kidding me? HDMI is designed to pass all the audio information, and yet this signal isn't utilized? I still have to hook up more wires? What the hell is the point of having any hdmi inputs if all that you do with them is pass on the signal without doing anything with it?

I don't get it. Please somebody explain this to me before I F#$&ing explode.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and I'm just now figuring out that this whole damn system didn't come with a optical cable, so I have no way to listen to it. What a piece of sh#$.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmueller /forum/post/13014198

WTF. are you kidding me? HDMI is designed to pass all the audio information, and yet this signal isn't utilized? I still have to hook up more wires? What the hell is the point of having any hdmi inputs if all that you do with them is pass on the signal without doing anything with it?

It's for one button video and audio switching.

If you route it over HDMI directly to the TV and run audio to the receiver, then you have to switch the input at the TV and the audio input at the receiver. Routing the video through the receiver lets the receiver do switching at the same time.

As for why they don't put HDMI audio processing into this particular unit, it's to save costs. Yeah, yeah, yeah, "It couldn't be that much more expensive!", well, yeah, it is, so if you want HDMI audio, too, pony up more cash. Yamaha isn't the only one guilty of it (Onkyo makes a popular model that has the exact same shortcoming.)

HDMI is designed for both audio and video, but not everything utilizes both fully unless you're willing to go to a higher pricepoint.

It sucks, but what are you going to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmueller /forum/post/13014251

Oh, and I'm just now figuring out that this whole damn system didn't come with a optical cable, so I have no way to listen to it. What a piece of sh#$.

Quite a few systems don't come with cables. You might try the digital coaxial (orange RCA plug) if available on the receiver and whatever source you're using. A yellow RCA video cable will work, as well a dedicated digital coax cable. It gets the same type of digital sound as an optical cable, and you can use it temporarily if you really want an optical cable later.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/13014346

It's for one button video and audio switching.

HDMI is designed for both audio and video, but not everything utilizes both fully unless you're willing to go to a higher pricepoint.

It sucks, but what are you going to do?

Well what gets me really angry is that the samsung 720 does utilize audio over hdmi as I expected this yamaha to do, and it is the same price. I originally wanted the samsung, but since yamaha got so many positive reviews and it had integrated speaker stands, I bit. I should have been more detailed in my research, but i guess i was just verifying that it had the hdmi ports. It didn't cross my mind that a receiver would have hdmi ports without using the audio off of the stream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/13014346

Quite a few systems don't come with cables. You might try the digital coaxial (orange RCA plug) if available on the receiver and whatever source you're using. A yellow RCA video cable will work, as well a dedicated digital coax cable. It gets the same type of digital sound as an optical cable, and you can use it temporarily if you really want an optical cable later.

I really appreciate your input. I'll try and get it working the cables you mentioned, or maybe ill go purchase the optical cable. But after the super bowl this ***** is going back to the store.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought this Yamaha system yesterday and I was aware of the HDMI audio limitations (mainly from reading info on this web site).

My question goes to the pass thru cabling.

If I have component cable going from my Time Warner HD converter box straight to my Sony LCD component input, and a digital optical going from the HD converter box to the Yamaha receiver, what is the downside there? It would seem stupid to run another set of cables from the Yamaha to the Sony, and if I did, would the component cable be the only connection from the Yamaha to the LCD?

What is the benefit? Just being able to switch everything via the Yamaha remote?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:

I just bought the YHT-585 from best buy, with the HTR-6050 receiver. I saw that it had two hdmi inputs, and one hdmi output which i thought would work perfectly for my htmi hd cable box and dvd player.

Well, after hooking everything up and getting no sound from the speakers, I opened up the manual to see the following line plastered all over: "hdmi only passes video and audio to the tv, and won't output sound to the yamaha speakers".

First calm down, It's an HTIB system, nothing to have a heart attack over, especially when you just bought it and can take it back if it doesn't meet your needs or requirements.

The purpose of HDMI in this receiver is for it's video switching capabilities, two HDMI sources can be hooked up to the receiver along with separate audio connections to the receiver and the receiver will handle all switching, video and audio at the same time. It also gives you an extra HDMI input if your TV only has one.

As for it not being capable of audio over HDMI that's pretty common at the price point, the popular onkyo 800 which is aprox the same price (maybe slightly less) is also HDMI video switching only. To get HDMI audio over HDMI at this price point if that's an issue you'll need to swap it for the Samsung which doesn't have as many connection options otherwise and imo the receiver in the Onkyo and Yamaha systems are much better quality.

It just depends on what your looking for and what's important to you and except for very few systems HDMI video switching is just the fact at the price point. Judging from your post you'll be much happier swapping it for the Samsung.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectstorm /forum/post/13014767

If I have composite cable going from my Time Warner HD converter box straight to my Sony LCD composite input, and a digital optical going from the HD converter box to the Yamaha receiver, what is the downside there?

Well, you have to switch video at the TV and then audio at the receiver. But that's about it. My setup is that way.

Quote:
It would seem stupid to run another set of cables from the Yamaha to the Sony, and if I did, would the composite cable be the only connection from the Yamaha to the LCD?

Yes, on most lower end receivers, the same connection goes out as going in. Unless the receiver has upconverting capabilities, then it's likely to be whatever going in and HDMI sending every signal out.

Quote:
What is the benefit? Just being able to switch everything via the Yamaha remote?

One button switching. But you can also get remote programmed to switch your TV and receiver simultaneously with one button. However, those remotes tend to be pricey.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmueller /forum/post/13014438

Well what gets me really angry is that the samsung 720 does utilize audio over hdmi as I expected this yamaha to do, and it is the same price.

The Samsung might do HDMI audio, but it doesn't look like it utilizes things like Dolby TrueHD, which most HDMI audio receivers can use. So the Samsung also has some HDMI drawbacks.

Look, at these prices, there are going to be compromises. If you want full capabilities, you have to pony up.

But then you could get an Integra 9.8 pre/pro and 9.4 amp and really kick some ass... for the low low price of ~$2500.
Or go for some Classe or McIntosh equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmueller /forum/post/13014438

It didn't cross my mind that a receiver would have hdmi ports without using the audio off of the stream.

Well, chalk it up to a learning experience. Hopefully others will see this post and see that there is such a thing as video only HDMI inputs.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts

Quote:

No sympathy - do your homework next time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Gentlemen ease up here.

The person purchased a system and like most consumers rely on the salemen to know the product and explain the limitations. Coming onto a website and posting for information is smart, I would put my money on a very slim minority who ever does that.

For the HDMI procesing Audio and Video, I believe in a couple more years they will all do it and at all price points. The reason in my mind that it isn't done yet isthat the HDMI specifications were still evolving and HDMI 1.3 is the latest greatest flavour of it. Some of the electronic gear last year ultized a lower version (1.1 or 1.2) so in time costs come down and manufacturers catch up.

For needing a more expensive system, I actually find some of the expensive ones still only provide 2 HDMI inputs and then pass only 1080i video and some aduio some not. It really is buyer beware, do your research and future proof as much as possible.

A inexpensive HTIB that does have HDMI 1.3 and processes video (1080P) and the audio through the HDMI cable, has three HDMI inputs etc is the Sony HT-SS-2000. If they can do it on an inexpensive HTIB then it can be done on more expensive, expanded systems. I'm not recommending the Sony, just saying that an inexpensive unit can utilize HDMI 1.3 effectively.

Good luck in returning your unit if it isn't to your liking, you may wish to pick up an interim HTIB until the new recievers hit the marketplace within the next year, I am positive they will be coming to market all utilizing HDMI 1.3 and process the advanced audio formats at a good price point. I believe next year the Audio manufacturers will all offer expanded selections that will transistion the new technologies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nobody on this site is asking for sympathy. I missed it when did that happen? I hope ur life doesn't sux that bad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts