AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed an order for the Panasonic 42" last week from Dell's Small Business Division with the 20% discount. I just checked my order and it shows SHIPPED! via FEDEX... anyone else checked their order lately?

Jeff

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the same one. Something is not right with this picture... I hope they didn't ship the wrong one. I'll call Dell to confirm but it shows a Fedex tracking number and it shows it was picked up @ 3:48 pm today to be shipped to Northern Cal from Southern Cal (Huntington Beach).

Jeff

Quote:
Originally posted by Brucer
Mine still shows 12-27 - ordered 1st week in Oct. Thru small business. th-42pwd4uy right?

Regards, Bruce

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Well if you do get in the next day or two - make sure it is a October manufacturing date - that's when different capacitors or something were to be installed to cure Hmmm-Bzzz problems. See plasmacracks thread 'Panny has a fix'.

With all these people in a shark frenzy - jumping ship to the NecMP3 or whatever, there's no telling what's going on. Your California location may have something to do with it, who knows?

Congrats, Bruce

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. It was shipped standard overnight so it should be at my house sometime tomorrow. I'll be sure to check production date and for buzz/humm problems. To be honest I didn't really expect this thing this early, I think I'm gettting sick, gotta go call and leave a message for my boss that I won't be in tomorrow ;) as I'll probably be up all night moving furnitures, gotta get my stinking 225 pound Sony 36" XBR Wega out of my room.

I'm sure I'm not the only one from California that ordered this thing, so I'm anxious to hear from others who placed an order for the same display device, I thought I saw from another thread that Dell had 300 units on backorder... we'll see tomorrow I guess.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally posted by Brucer
Well if you do get in the next day or two - make sure it is a October manufacturing date - that's when different capacitors or something were to be installed to cure Hmmm-Bzzz problems. See plasmacracks thread 'Panny has a fix'.

With all these people in a shark frenzy - jumping ship to the NecMP3 or whatever, there's no telling what's going on. Your California location may have something to do with it, who knows?

Congrats, Bruce

·
Registered
68 Posts
My Panny shipped at exactly the same time.

Since Dell would not change change my order Saturday (still saying the Panny would ship in late Decemeber), I bought the NEC through small business. It shipped too! Now I have two on the way, A NEC and a Panasonic!

I will turn the fedex guy around (Dell said this is the easiest way to retract theorder now).....but for which one??

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
OK now! - I could rationalize jeffrey getting his from a one week old order, but being closer to electrographs back dock. But now, jlegault here in Texas as well, when did you order yours?

Gees! I could get a inferiority complex over this.

regards, Bruce

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Jlegault -

NO! NO! NO! don't turn either one of them away, this is your perfect opportunity to do an honest to goodness side by side shootout. Just think of the prestige that would accompany such a contribution to this great AVS Forum. I think you have 30 days anyway. (don't take my word for it) You could be sling-shotted from a 'newbie' to an 'at a boy' virtually overnight. You may even start a trend, who knows?

regards, Bruce

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
For those of us who ordered from Dell more than 6 weeks ago, this is totally friggin' appalling.

Mark

·
Registered
68 Posts
I ordered on October 1st/2nd (the 20% sale in Home/Home Business)

I'll look into keeping both for a week or so to do an "eval" ;-)

If anyone is in Texas (Austin), and missed out on the Dell deal, you are welcome to grab one of them from me. Both have tilt wall mounts. Both came in under 5K.

This is all assuming that they are not shipping me a box of bricks...

·
Super Moderator
21,602 Posts
Keep the Panny- refuse the NEC- the 30 day return policy might not apply to Plasma displays- besides- if there is damage or defect, they might only want to replace it- I say keep the Panny because I have the PWD3 and it is excellent!

BTW- I also ordered the Panny PWD4 last night (20% off) but need a table stand- does Dell list the stand?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
rogo -

Mark-

Panny was to ship 100 +/- units this round. Probably got allocated per region, and maybe California allocation vs. backorders turned out good for Jeffrey. Jlegault ordered at same time as you and me. What region of the country are you in?

I'm not upset as I thought I had more time to research and demo other components to go along with PDP. H**l, I still can't decide which DVD to go with, rp91, rp56, shootoutII list, etc. scaler etc. ---

regards,

Bruce

·
Registered
241 Posts
IMHO, when I was searching for plasma's, I couldn't find anything better than the Panny in the 42" arena - so I would take it over the NEC.

Congrats!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not so fast, guys, the NEC is a terrific improvement over the previous generation. The 42MP3 has triple the contrast (1500:1) and is 25% brighter.

Plus, it has 29-pin DVI built-in for HTPC applications and comes with an AccuShield phosphor burn-in protector, which is a programmable bar that scrolls across the screen to "relax" pixels.

I'd say this could be an excellent entry from the world's second largest manufacturer of PDPs.

But a bigger question is, how do you guys feel about shipping via FedEx given that two people have had their PDPs destroyed by FedEx with no recourse?

Since ground shipping is free too, do you feel comfortable entrusting your beautiful new plasma to UPS?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Prosumer.tv-

As I posted in another thread, you do the search, the only cases in question of FedEx not honoring claims have been shipments from individual to individual. I consider it not an issue with shipments coming from Electrograph. They have their own insurance policies with FedEx 'cargo' division. I have not heard of one case that there has been any problem in this respect. Look at all recent deliveries and you will see, everything in tact.

Regards, Bruce

·
Registered
73 Posts
I put the order Sunday and Fedex received yesterday. It is hard to believe. I received Sunday the e-mail with estimeted delivery date on Jan. 10 2002. I am afraid this is the Sept. Model !!!!!!!!!:(

MoocaT

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok... here we go...

It was shipped in it's original box :( havent powered on yet to test but thought I share some pics here....

Initial inspection shows no visible damage whatsoever.

BTW... it is an OCTOBER 2001 production... gotta test it for humm/buzz in a bit.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high

More to come later.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.