AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the benefiet of an Omni directional speaker besides "stereo everywhere", I am using the Bose term because I don't know what other words to use....

I am aware of the Ohm walsh with its unusual drivers and of the Bose bookshelf line, I am not mentioning thier acoustimass for obvious reasons simply because it has a directional bass module and has a midrange gap, especually the older models.

I am aware that Multidirectional speakers tend to have a bit of a "sweetened" midrange to overcome the lack sound reinforement via boundaries.

I am aware that such a speaker is hard to setup compared to a conventional speaker which is designed to radiate sound forward.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
i can tell you that i have directly compared my mirage speakers with my focal be's--the imaging is less specific in position and the soundstage presents as further to the rear. There is also significantly less upper end frequency extension (not surprisingly). the reason I bought the mirages for my reading room system was because the seats are not centered for good imaging but off to the sides of the room--the omnipolar dispersion helps to conceal the deficits induced by the flawed listening positions in the room. Not sure why there would be any added midrange swetness per se as a result of th eomnipolar dispersion. I did not notice this. anyway, hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/16916682

What is the benefiet of an Omni directional speaker besides "stereo everywhere", I am using the Bose term because I don't know what other words to use....

A lot of rooms have:

- irregular seating, or

- lots of seating around the room, or

- multiple uses (a living / dining / etc room).

That is, there's isn't one area where people will be listening that you can design the speaker setup to aim at. Omnidirectional speakers may give better sound in the various locations than even a wide dispersion conventional design.

Though it's more useful for more than 2 speakers, IMO. Even if you're listening to music from a disc in stereo, having speakers around the room is much more successful at having good sound around the room, than trying to use 2 omnidirectional speakers.

Check out some of the reviews of the Mirage speakers, such as the Omnisat or the OMD line for more description of their approach.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile /forum/post/16916893

i can tell you that i have directly compared my mirage speakers with my focal be's--the imaging is less specific in position and the soundstage presents as further to the rear. There is also significantly less upper end frequency extension (not surprisingly). the reason I bought the mirages for my reading room system was because the seats are not centered for good imaging but off to the sides of the room--the omnipolar dispersion helps to conceal the deficits induced by the flawed listening positions in the room. Not sure why there would be any added midrange swetness per se as a result of th eomnipolar dispersion. I did not notice this. anyway, hope this helps.

It did help, but how would you know if there isnt as much high frequency extension?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/16917030

It did help, but how would you know if there isnt as much high frequency extension?

3 potential ways--one could measure, look at the fr graphs for each speaker, or listen, all of which agree in this case. it has nothing to do with the omnipolar dispersion but the fr of the tweeter-sorry for the confusion...

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/16916682

I am aware of the Ohm walsh with its unusual drivers and of the Bose bookshelf line, I am not mentioning thier acoustimass for obvious reasons simply because it has a directional bass module and has a midrange gap, especually the older models.

I am aware that Multidirectional speakers tend to have a bit of a "sweetened" midrange to overcome the lack sound reinforement via boundaries.

I am aware that such a speaker is hard to setup compared to a conventional speaker which is designed to radiate sound forward.

Actually, most of what you are aware of has not been my experience. I have found my Ohm Micro Walsh Tall infinitely easier to set-up and place than either my Deftech BP-2006 bi-polars or Pinancle Classic Gold Reference. Optimal placement took a little bit of effort, but mostly because they sound great wherever I place them.

The sonic character of the different omni speakers probably has more to do with the specific drive/cabinet than qualities of omni in general. I find the Ohm's to be virtually neutral in presentation, without any undue emphasis of any particular frequency range. As far as 'lack of sound reinforcement', I have never heard a more lush and full sound in my system.

The bottom line is that at least the Ohm's have to be heard to be appreciated. Any further description on my part will come across as fan-boy hyperbole.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts