AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Charlotte where we have 4 local stations (the four major networks) transmitting a digital signal. All 4 are within 20 or 25 miles from me but 2 are oriented to the northeast, 2 to the northwest, about 90% apart. I have a DISH 6000 STB with the OTA cartridge.

I got a Terk TV-42 antenna that clips to the back of one of my dishes. I bought it primarily for the simplicity of installation and setup. It works fine for all the digital stations, pretty crummy for analog, but who cares? That is, until it rains. Rain fade just wipes out 2 of the 4 digital stations; can't have this!

So, I'm thinking about one of the omnidirectional antennas so I don't have to mess with multiple antennas or rotors to handle the different transmitter locations. Does anyone have any experience with the saucer-shaped Winegard MS-2000 antenna? It has a built-in preamp, so hopefully that will solve the rain fade issue. Plus it's relatively compact (necessary - I live in a townhouse) and I can mount it on one of the dish masts and won't have to drill any more holes in my roof. And, it has the added advantage of looking pretty cool!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hello Archiguy!

I live in Charlotte also. I do not have an HDTV STB yet, but hope to have one soon. I have a Directv box and use a Terk TV25 indoor antenna. It picks up most of the locals with some twisting of the dipoles. Pick one up at Best Buy and give it a try. Sorry I do not remember what I paid for it, but I did not pay $79.99. If it does not work ,return it. You can go to http://www.terk.com to check it out.

Robert_W

------------------

Sit back, relax, and please enjoy the show.

[This message has been edited by Robert_W (edited 03-31-2001).]

·
Registered
311 Posts
archiguy,

My situation is very similar to yours. I have a Winegard MS 2000 and it works great. I mounted it in the attic and all my signal strengths (4 digital OTA stations) are out of sight. I highly recommend the antenna.

Kent

·
Registered
711 Posts
Kent:

Did you get your antenna locally?

Thanks,

Alan

------------------

Stop DVI/HDCP And DFAST. We Killed DIVX, we'll kill this too. Boycott JVC.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Alan

I bought it from www.starkelectronic.com . Here's the URL for the actual antenna: http://www.starkelectronic.com/wing2.htm#OMNI I went to Home Depot and bought a 6' length of antenna mast. I mounted the antenna on the mast in the attic and pushed it all the way up to the peak of the roof. As high as I could get it. Works great.

Kent

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.