AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Panny plasma is in my bedroom. I know Plasma's have a limited life span on the picture.

But being in bedroom we tend to turn it on and off more often than the rear projector in our livingroom. Sometimes that one is on the whole weekend.

So does anyone know if the Plasma electronic circuitry is more like a PC where you do less damage when you leave it on rather than turning it on and off each time we leave the bedroom? I tend to gravitate back to the bedroom during the weekend more because of the awesome picture.

I was under the understanding that it's the heating and cooling off of the electronics that does more damage than leaving it on.

The PC's in my office are all always on, but they do go to sleep so the hard drive is not running. Plasmas don't have a sleep mode (maybe they should) and the fans would be running longer.

I ask this because maybe I should get the $500 4 year extended warranty , even though they screw you out of 1 year because it starts right away so you lose the manuf. 1 year warranty, it's really a 3 year warranty :mad:

I bought it on a gold card so that gives me an extra year over the manuf 1 year warranty.

But this turning on and off more frequently makes me nervous :confused:

·
Super Moderator
21,332 Posts
I usually turn my plasma off if I am leaving the room for 15-30 minutes or more

one thing different about leaving a plasma on continuously is a plasma is subject to phosphor wear: and the possibility of burn-in if left unattended with a static screen source: these might not be covered under an extended warranty

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin
I usually turn my plasma off if I am leaving the room for 15-30 minutes or more

one thing different about leaving a plasma on continuously is a plasma is subject to phosphor wear: and the possibility of burn-in if left unattended with a static screen source: these might not be covered under an extended warranty
BTW . . . liked your post on:

"Early 1080p adopters beware: CES 2006 does not look good"

Interesting . . . disheartening . . . but interesting :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.