AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I've seen all kinds of really great ideas here about how to design my stage but I'm wondering, what methods are most people using for curving the wood.

I'm a very green DIYer and building my riser last week was the first mid-heavy level construction I'd ever done. it turned out pretty well and now I've turned my attention to the stage. In reading up, there seem to be several ways to make curved wood, the easiest for a newby seems to be kerf cutting here you basically make a bunch of slices down the side that will be curved in. the other, WAY more advanced way seems to involve steam and either buying/renting/building things that strike me as being pretty complicated.

so how are all of you getting these great curves?

the stage I'm making is going to be 12" high, built from 1x12 pine with 3/4"plywood on top. it is mainly for show+speakers. not really going to have people standing on it at anytime.

thanks in advance.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,204 Posts
I used two layers of the 3/4 inch thick PVC lumber for the front curve. No kerfing just cut to length and screw in place. Not sure it comes wide enough for your design.

I did a curved bar front and I just glued up 3 layers of 1/4 inch birch plywood. Another alternative to kerfing.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the suggestions.

I haven't gotten too far in the planning of the shape as I was waiting till I had a better understanding of how easily I could curve the front. I hadn't even thought of using plywood. I heard some people mention medium density fiberboard but our local home depot isn't very good at the "we can help" part of the motto so most of the people there looked at me crosseyed when I asked.

I think I'm just going to do one long curve for the front so the plywood should fit the bill nicely.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I used 3/8 plywood and it curved nicely. I mocked up my radius with some 1 1/2 inch strips of ply and scrap 2x4's. after mock up I cut all my actual lumber using the scrap measurements. Checkout my build thread for alot more photo's of the stage build

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I used two layers of 1/4" plywood:

Built the frame (modeled in sketchup, then measured all the sizes and angles for the framing pieces in there), curved a 1/4" piece of plywood around, brad nailed it into place. Then I spread glue all over the second piece and curved/nailed it into place. Once I had the framing done, it was easier than it sounds.

I would NOT suggest kerf cutting thicker wood. Sounds like way to much worse, unless you really need some sharp or complex curve. Mine are simple circle sections.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts