AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still confused as to when I should put on Pro Logic on my Yamaha or let the audio come in as intended from the source. When watching HBO or other direcTV shows, I assume all the audio comes in stereo. Is it best to have 'straight' selected on my receiver ( meaning the audio comes through as it comes in ), or have Pro Logic for everything on my TV?

What DSP setting or non setting do most people do?

·
Registered
446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistersix /forum/post/20810517

Still confused as to when I should put on Pro Logic on my Yamaha or let the audio come in as intended from the source. When watching HBO or other direcTV shows, I assume all the audio comes in stereo. Is it best to have 'straight' selected on my receiver ( meaning the audio comes through as it comes in ), or have Pro Logic for everything on my TV?

What DSP setting or non setting do most people do?

Stereo will be reproduced with your L and R only. ProLogic II (assuming that's the mode you meant) spreads that stereo signal out (via matrixing) to 5 speakers, the L&R, plus the centre and the surrounds.

I leave PLII on all the time with video sources (actually PLIIx as I run 7.1) because it locks the vocals to the screen (via the centre speaker) and it decodes surround information if it's there.

It's totally up to you what you prefer, but lots of shows that are broadcast in stereo contain surround information, so you might as well make use of it.

·
Registered
30,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistersix /forum/post/20810517

Whatever you like. I prefer to keep the music as stereo but most else comes in already as DD5.1 and it is fine for sports and drama.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/20810559

If you have an HD DirecTV box then you'll get DD 5.1 on many of the HD channels which you'll want to pass as is ... then any 2CH SD channels will be simulated to 5.1 using DD PLII.

I do have direcTV HD box, and I want it to come through as DD 5.1.....so I wasnt sure if I needed to put on a certain setting, or let it come through 'unfiltered' via the Straight button the receiver.

ProLogic does seem to keep the voices at the screen, where Straight makes the voices come out of the towers and nothing from the center...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.