AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Setting up a dedicated HT room and was looking for a way to hide all the speaker connections going from the back of the amp to the back wall, up and to the speakers.

I showed the mrs (probably a bad idea) the standard 2 gang outlets with bananna plugs, then she saw the ON-Q in wall home theater kit that has a fancy metal cover to hide all the connections and make it look purdy.

After getting home I saw that it was a printed circuit board with nifty little audio connectors on the back that can connect/disconnect with small metal pins. The gauge that can fit in there is 14/2 I didden't try 12 gauge simply cause I do not have any here.

My concerns / questions are:

1. Is this thing really necessary and is a printed circuit board and the metal pin connectors for audio a good route to go, will I even hear a difference or do I run the risk of overheating the circuit board with too much power going through it?

2. If I go another route I am looking for probably a 3 or 4 gang outlet, one that will utilize the 6.1 surround sound w/subwoofer, including a CATV connector and ETHERNET.

3. Is there any other type of setup like the ON-Q that could offer the possibility of running sound to another room?

I'd like to do this just once if that's even possible and granted this kit was 80.00, for the sake of asthetics, do they even make a 4 gang outlet cover, I've googled but no results.

All the best.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Most users here do not use this type of thing. The fewer connections the better off you are. Adding a PCB into the equation could cause amp issues as well. Your better off doing what most do and that is direct connects.

Bob

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the onQLegrand intercom system, 4 port (2 RG-6/2 Cat5e) outlets at each location, phone module, cable module, and router in my structured wiring box. I looked at the HT kits, and would only recommend them for smaller installations like a Master Bedroom, but not a high end theater.

You may want to contact them directly about how much power their boards will support.

Like Bob said, the fewer the connections the better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts