AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my 60GB Maxtor drive which was acting up with a new Maxtor 120 (just in time for The Blues starting tonight and the new network season, and it's working great, woo hoo).

Upon removing the 60GB I see that the warranty does not expire until 2/04, so, possibly, woo hoo some more. Question: are RTV drives (it has a sticker on it indicating its RTV heritage) directly returnable by the consumer to Maxtor? If so, what has been the general experience with such returns? I assume I'll have to run the Maxtor utility against it to diagnose the bad sectors or other reason for the problems I was having, any other hoops that need to be jumped through?

JGM

·
Registered
582 Posts
I am under the impression that OEM drives have to go back to Maxtor thru the manufacturer.

However, unless the drive just croaked, running the "Recretification" utility on the drive should clear up any bad sector problems.

Warning: The Recertification Utility only processes about 10Gb/Hr, so you are looking at approximatly 6 hours of computer down time.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I've returned a 40GB drive from a 5040 to Maxtor with no problem. You'll need to run the MaxDiagnostics and get the appropirate error code to put on the form. You should be able to select "ReplayTV" from the pull-down menu for where you got the drive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I replaced my 40 G Replay Drive with a 120 G Maxtor. After about 90 days my RTV froze on Please Wait and would not complete booting. I read the troubleshooting FAQ and found the PowerMax utility. I ran this on the drive and it failed the short test saying run the full test. The full test failed, I got a code, and advance RMA'ed it to Maxtor. I got a 160 G back from Maxtor. Thoght to my self, "bonus, extra 40 G." I put this in my computer and ran PowerMax just to be sure it was OK. It passed the short test. I ran the long test and if failed but gave an option to repair. After repair, I attempted to perform a low-level format. It failed after about 5 minutes. I ran the long test, and it reported it needed to fix the drive again. I finally ran the burn in test and got a code. I also advance RMA'ed this drive.

Could the PowerMax failures be resulting from an IDE controller failure? (Note: I have an eMachine but have not had any problems with the stock drive.) Will I get another 160 G drive back from Maxtor?

Jeff.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fastengin
Could the PowerMax failures be resulting from an IDE controller failure? (Note: I have an eMachine but have not had any problems with the stock drive.) Will I get another 160 G drive back from Maxtor?

Jeff.
Might be depends on what the errors are, why not ask maxtor. they'll tell you...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'm done the advanced replacement on 3 maxtor drives now. I have a total of 8 Maxtor drives. 3 drives have been in constant use for over 1 year, the others less than 6 months. One failed in the over 1 year bunch and 2 failed from the less 6 months. Pitiful... :(

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yep, cheap ide drives are just that, cheap... although if you look at Maxtor's site they actually have a stat on replacement frequency (and of course they're all less than 1%... but I'm sure that large businesses are more likely to just replace rather than RMA, especially if they have 3rd party hardware maintenance).

out of a batch of 300 seagate 9 gig ide drives, I bet I have replaced an average of 2 per month over the last 4 years. Most of them within the first year or after 3 years. Out of a roughly equal number of seagate scsi drives in the years prior, I replaced maybe 4 a year, and they had 5-year warranties to boot. The purchase cost is pretty much in line with the replacement frequency!

I bought my last WD drive just before they changed the warranty on most of their cheap drives to 1 year. If I were going to buy another WD drive, either I'd get a model with 3 year warranty, or pay the $15 to extend the warranty to 3 years, or look into the various other ways of extending the warranty (e.g. credit card warranty doubling).

Fortunately the replacement process is painless (for WD and Maxtor, at least), but there's still the time without a drive and potential for data loss.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.