AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new Sony XBR65A8H and hooked it up to my Denon X3500H. First thing I noticed is that I cannot see any onscreen info from the Denon (ie volume bar, menu, etc) at all. I am using a High Speed HDMI cable connected to the TV's ARC to the Denon ARC. I had no issues with the previous TV which was a Pioneer plasma. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to properly set this up?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mrbobb. It currently is on AUTO for the ARC port. I did find that when I go into the Input settings and manually pic the ARC port the Denon gui finally shows up. It'd be nice if it did it automatically like with my old tv. The good news is that at least the sony remote controls the volume of my denon as well. Would still love to find a way to always be able to see the Denon menu without having to manually go into inputs. Looks like this also affects my xbox as I have the xbox running into the Denon. Sheesh!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If the Plasma is 1080p, the AVR may need to be set to 4K enhanced signal for the new TV. That should also be set on the TV if applicable.
Having recently experiencing similar symptoms (4K HDR input had overlay, 720p/1080i input did not), support had me verify that the cables were good, change the settings, and switch inputs to other ports. When the symptoms persisted, they thought there was an HDMI handshake issue.

You may want to search the 2018 Denon FAQ under Section 11 (Troubleshooting) for "k. HDMI Handshake Issues (audio/video dropouts):" to see if anything's useful there.
My offending device was a cable box, as described in the text there, and was also accompanied by audio/video dropouts, which seemed to only happen with the cable box.

In my case the ultimate solution was to perform a hard reset of the unit, which is apparently different than a microprocessor reset, and it solved my problem.
I'm not sure what the procedure is for your unit (my older unit's panel is different than the X3500H), and you may need to contact support if the other options don't work.

BTW, logging a ticket on the website did not work. It took all of the information, and when it was submitted, it did not signal a confirmation or generate an email. Being wary, I called and waited in the queue (which was a long wait). After resolving the issue, I asked if there was a ticket under my email address. They saw no ticket logged.

I just bought a new Sony XBR65A8H and hooked it up to my Denon X3500H. First thing I noticed is that I cannot see any onscreen info from the Denon (ie volume bar, menu, etc) at all. I am using a High Speed HDMI cable connected to the TV's ARC to the Denon ARC. I had no issues with the previous TV which was a Pioneer plasma. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to properly set this up?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After doing some more research it seems that the Denon's OSD won't work the the tv's native apps since the signal isn't coming from the AVR initially. That is a bummer. I guess the only fix to this would be to connect an external roku to the receiver itself and then project that through to the tv.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Those apps will eventually become outdated and not work, just plug a Stick into your AVR (Roku or Amazon)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those apps will eventually become outdated and not work, just plug a Stick into your AVR (Roku or Amazon)
You must be misunderstanding about the apps. I can't imagine that they will become outdated as they are constantly updated by google (ie netflix, espn, etc).

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Did you update the title? ya, OSD is coming from the AVR, TV Apps, the TV is displaying its own stuff, picture the SIGNAL PATH, the only way to go around that is not to use the TV apps but use another streaming box attached to AVR.

In the olden days, TV built-in apps were kinda kludgy, for example on my old 40" cheap Sony, but lately the Apps on my new Roku TV, the apps are self updated and run pretty smooth, good enough for not troubling myself to use an external streamer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts