AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a A/V that will show on screen displays though componet video cables? I have a Yamaha RX-V 800 that will only do it though S-video. Thanks.....Jim

·
Registered
565 Posts
Jim, I doubt it. There is a reason why companies do not put an on-screen display with Component connections. Has to do with bandwidth or picture quality suffering or something like that. I know of no company who provides this service.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am in the same boat - I run component to my HDTV and a composite cable for the OSD from my Denon.

Of course there is always the new Pioneer Elite 49TX or Denon 5803.

I know the Pioneer gives OSD through component, not 100% sure on the 5803 but I would think so.

Both of these look interesting to me for not only OSD, but upconverting composite and S-video source material and passing it out the component monitor out.

-Brian

·
Registered
761 Posts
My system sits in an enclosed oak center. When I need the OSD, I take the composite cable that is hooked up to monitor out on my receiver and use the front input on my TV. When done, I can tuck the cable back beside the receiver and out of sight. For those that are constantly using OSD this would be cumbersome. I only use OSD for occasional tweaking and calibration.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My Denon 5803 does display its onscreen menus over the compenent output. For those that didn't already know, it also upconverts composite and s-video inputs to component.

Ken

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Ken,

How is the quality of this upconversion? Is it going from 480i to another resolution or just changing the signal type? I ask b/c the Scientific Atlanta 2000HD cable box (used by TWC in their early HD rollout) performed this task (sort of...it upconverted SD channels to 1080i for component out) horribly - pushing green way up among other things...

TM

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up using my video 3 on my Sony KP- 61-HS30 for the on screen menu. Then all I have to do is split the screen one with video 3 and one with video 5 and I can now watch DVD and my on-screen menu at the same time.... I am Happy now! Thanks again.....-Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.