AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am on the market for a new DVD player and was hoping for some help from the people who know AV the best :D

I watch ALOT of movies(I have about 600 in my collection) and its constantly growing, what I prefer is very sharp textures/images, I love the subtle details to be brought out, I like the bumps on aliens, the pores on peoples faces, the razor stuble when the actor hasnt shaved ETC(Im sure this will help in the recommendation) compared to a more soft filmlike image

I will be playing all of my movies on a Sony 60XS955(already calibrated in the service menu)

Here are my questions

Should I just buy an Interlaced player, and allow my 60XS955 to do the progressive work, or should I purchase a native Progressive player?

What connection is going to give me the highest quality/sharpest picture possible, DVI-> HDMI, HDMI, or Component?

I see alot of hooplah about scaling players, are they worth it?

When I play back DVD from my computer, I can use 24bit and 32bit Audio, are there DVD players that support higher bitrate sampling for sharper sound? sound is as important as image, preferably optical audio output!

I am looking at the $100-$400 US price range, Any suggestions of players in this pricerange, and their strengths/weaknesses would be GREATLY appreciated, also if you know where to get some of the players in Canada(retail or online) that information could come in handy too

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
If you determine that macroblocking will or won't be a problem with that display, it will make the decision easier. If it isn't, the Panasonic DVD-S97 or Oppo DV971H might be a good choice. If it is a big problem, then I would recommend the NeuNeo HVD2085.

Chris

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to have minor problems with macroblocking, but since the tv has been calibrated it has been greatly reduced to almost unnoticable in most instances(on a cheapie $40 DIAMOND player I used for testing)

Now, it appears these output PAL output, so I would be correct in assuming I could play PAL movies on my NTSC tv? As about 20% of my DVD collection is PAL

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKard
I used to have minor problems with macroblocking, but since the tv has been calibrated it has been greatly reduced to almost unnoticable in most instances(on a cheapie $40 DIAMOND player I used for testing)

Now, it appears these output PAL output, so I would be correct in assuming I could play PAL movies on my NTSC tv? As about 20% of my DVD collection is PAL
The macroblocking enhancement offered by the Faroudja FLI2310 in the S97 and Oppo is what I think you should check on. I believe others have commented on that specific display but I don't recall if it was greatly affected or barely affected since I don't own one. I have played PAL DVDs with my NeuNeo HVD2081 used with my XBR910 and 720p LCD projector and it worked very well. I haven't owned the Oppo or S97.

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.