AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My frustration level has hit an all time high - any ideas are are MUCH appreciated.

The Setup:

* TriLNB Dish w/Bulti in Multi-switch.

* 2 Receivers (1 Samsung TS-160 & 1RCA)

The Problem:

* Samsung works fine.

* RCA Keeps loosing all signal (0%) if I go into the attic and reconect the cables (builder origional home-runned all cables to the attic so cable from dish is connected to the cable that goes to the receiver), it works again (good signal strength 80-95).....a few hours later nothing again....I have tried cutting the cables, tried a new connector, tried switching from crimped connectors to screw-on...I am running out of ideas...any help??

Thanks - rb

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Sounds like in order of likelihood:

1. A bad cable run or connector.

2. A bad switch in the dish.

3. A bad receiver.

Is the existing cable run you tapped some old RG59 or something?

The sat receivers supply voltage and control signals over the coax to the dish's LNB and switch. If there's a short in the coax or a bad connection, it will cause problems.

What if you swap the samsung and RCA around and see how they do.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
RCA receivers become crap over time. What model is it? When you disconnect and reconnect the cables, you might just be allowing the resetting of a locked up computer circuit.

Replacement boiler plate receivers can be obtained over the internet for $50 plus shipping. One of my customers called DirecTV last week and told them that his two five-year-old RCA receivers were both freezing up, and they sent him two new Philips receivers to replace them at no charge. If you can confirm it is a bad receiver by swapping it with your other receiver and seeing that the symptom follows the receiver, then maybe DirecTV will send you a free replacement, but you cannot specify the brand or model, and it will probabaly be a Philips.

·
Registered
632 Posts
There is a known problem with some RCA receivers and the combined LNB (aka Phase III) dishes.

Besides swapping for different model (what my MIL did) I think the fix was to use load resisters or have at least 150ft of cable betwen receiver and dish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.