AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm needing to turn my attention to the home theater room my parents will soon be piecing together. My understanding is that quality is a chief concern, superceding cost to a certain extent. The room itself measures perhaps 15 by 18 feet. There's a pretty good chance I'm not even going to be able to consider recommending floorstanding speakers for the fronts. Currently, I believe the plan is to have a setup rather like the rightmost image you can see here:

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Site...ma_Series.html

The plasma will be a 65 inch model, to put things into perspective. Anyway, that's sort of what I have to work with.

I already know the following:

1) It is essential that the L/C/R speakers be timbre-matched, and preferably from the same manufacturer.

2) It is also a good idea for all three of the L/C/R speakers to be the exact same speaker.

3) In a similar vein, it's a good idea for each speaker in a surround setup (excepting the subwoofer) to be the exact same speaker.

My task is to figure out what speaker sets (including subwoofer) are recommended, given any of a few different possible budgets. What are those budgets? I don't specifically know, regrettably. But my guess goes something like: $2.5k, $5k, $10k. There is a lot of room for consideration. For example, I do not think that my parents realize just how important good speakers are, but if I do a good job of convincing, then they may realize that it's just as worthy of a budget as the display device itself. (They are not even willing to give prospective speakers a test listen. I'll have to drag them kicking and screaming if that's going to happen.)

The other point of this post is to get an idea of just how severe the sacrifice in quality is going to be if on-wall speakers (such as pictured in the above link) end up being an unavoidable route, vs. floorstanding L/R speakers.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I'd suggest you to look at www.jbl.com for their new STUDIO L SERIES though, as these seem to fall into your idea of a in-wall system.

This new range also got several rave reviews.

Good luck & keep us posted!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.