AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would mounting on-wall speakers, like the Paradigm W5's, recessed into a screen wall with the front of the speaker flush with the drywall suffer any audio consequences?

I am building a basement theater with concrete stud walls that have 8 inches of depth that would allow for the W5's to be recessed

I am also considering and have listened to in-wall speakers like Triad, Klipsch Ultra2, etc.. however I can get a good deal on Paradigm W5's.

Also I do not want to mount the speakes on wall for asthetic reasons!

Any reason that this shouldn't be done????

Thanks

Larry

·
Registered
95 Posts
Personally, if you are not going to use true inwalls, I'd mount the speakers so the face / grill is even with the face of the TV. Recess both or neither.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Paradigm's SIG-LCR 5 is the in-wall version of the W5; identical drivers. You can't get that for a similarly good price?

Since the W5 is sealed, I don't see why it wouldn't work fine as an in-wall, although the speaker surround (where it meets the wall) would look awkward no matter what you did.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the_phew...the SIG LCR5 inwall speaker enclosures are huge for a retrofit installation.

I was hoping to use the W5's mounted flush and then custom fit a grill ...just like it would be for an in wall.

The other advantage that I can think of is I could possibly aim the LR speakers behind the custom grill.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
you'll be fine. The difference at most would be 1-2 dbs of baffle step compensation, if that; which would be offset if you're using a reciever with any kind of auto eq (Audyssey).

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Has anyone ever installed these? I am really considering the in-wall version, but if the on wall version can be used in a cabinet, this may be a perfect solution for me...

·
Registered
480 Posts
You might want to take a look at the PMC Wafer speakers if aesthetics lead you to on-wall speakers and you still want great sound

1 - 7 of 7 Posts