AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for on-wall speakers for my Denon 4306 for some time and I noticed that there weren't alot of reviews/feedback for on-wall speakers. So, I did my own little research and finally opted for the Definitive Technologies Mythos on-wall speakers. I have been perusing this forum for quite some time now and I just wanted to post my 2 cents on why I made my particular choice....

My price range was about $2000 or so (without sub woofer)

The speakers I auditioned were

1) Klipsch RVX42BK (5 speakers)

2) Definitive Technologies (Mythos 2, Mythos 3, Gem combo)

3) Definitive Technologies (5 speakers Mythos Gems)

4) Kef (on wall. dont have the model sorry)

5) Vienna Acoustics Waltz Grand

6) Axiom Architecural Series

This is just my opinions so here it goes...

1) I liked the aesthetics of these speakers. I'm a sucker for up front cool looking things so the magnetic speaker covers caught my attention. However, when I heard them the sound just pierced through my skull giving me a tremendous headache. Sorry to you Klipsch supporters but these just didn't do it for me.

2) This setup really impressed me. I was not overwhelmed by the piercing shreeks of sword fighting scenes and they had an overall soft and pleasant feel at both high and low volumes. I liked the looks of them as well and they fit well surrounding my 50" Fujitsu. I've been sampling various bluray discs and regular DVDs at various volumes and these guys have been most impressive.

3) Similar sound to #2 but was not as "full". Hard for me to understand since when I pulled off the cover the def tech mythos 2 and 3 just looked like Gems that were extended with two extra holes where I thought actual speakers should be. But anyway... when i heard these speakers i immediately thought hey.. they would be great surround speakers but not something I would want driving my center channel and left/right speakers...

4) These guys were pretty much on par with the #2 Deftech setup. A tad bit on the tin side for my tastes and they were a little more expensive. They were also a little large physicaly for my taste so I decided to pass.

5) NICE. Awesome sound. Out of my price range. Ugly IMHO. But a very nice choice for an HT setup if you have the extra scratch.

6) I honestly wished I could have auditioned these. I have heard mixed stories about these and I really wanted to hear them. I loved the look and as I said before I am a sucker for cool looking things. But this time, I couldnt pull the trigger without at least listening to them and I did not want to go through the trouble of having to return them.

So in summary.... I chose the Deftech Mythos 2/3/Gem combo. I was looking for an on wall setup because I didnt want to eat up alot of living room real estate. I like the look of speakers on the wall. Also, the clarity (without ear ache) and the full body sound i got out of these sealed the deal. True the Vienna Acoustics impressed me, however for the price I paid ($1500 for 5 speakers), I am more than happy with what I got.

BTW if anyone out there has Mythos 2/3. If you can explain to me why those "fake" speaker spots are there I would be most appreciative. not sure if it's all in my mind that I can hear a distrinct difference between them and the Gems....

Anyway... I hope this helps someone. As I said before I have been reading this forum for some time... led me to my Fujitsu P50 purchase, got me a PS3, helped me tremendously with timings for my plasma TV and my HTPC setup. Trying to give back as much as I can...

hey wait a minute... you guys have been and will continue to be the source of much of my frivolous spending!!!! eh... ya can't take it with ya can ya?

Mike

·
Registered
179 Posts
That is some good feedback because I am interested in purchasing on-walls within the next few months. The hole you are talking about might be the pressure radiators which are passive drivers that help extend the bass a little bit more or they are the ports, not sure. I was looking at the Def Tech mythos, Paradigm Cinema 330 and the HTD Flat Panels. How big is your room?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I too am looking at on-walls. I've heard the Klipsch (agree with your assesment) and Def Tech set-ups (still not sold on them), as well as Athena's WS line. I now have a pair of Energy Take LCRs coming to try out, and want to listen to the Take FPS. Nice looking speakers too, if you want to check them out.
http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/pr...page.php?id=33

The "fake" spots are passive radiators if they look like a driver, or ports if they are empty, like Fastgt mentioned.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense now...

My living room is about 16 x 16 give or take... its all open so their is an adjoining dining room as well as an open hallway going back to the bedrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastgt79 /forum/post/0

That is some good feedback because I am interested in purchasing on-walls within the next few months. The hole you are talking about might be the pressure radiators which are passive drivers that help extend the bass a little bit more or they are the ports, not sure. I was looking at the Def Tech mythos, Paradigm Cinema 330 and the HTD Flat Panels. How big is your room?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am in exactly the same spot, and I love the Viennas. My only concern is the rears seem to be so big. I'd like to hide the rears a bit more because that particular wall in my setup is very exposed to the main living room visually - any ideas on speakers that are well matched to the Viennas yet more subtle size wise (like the little Bose cubes....but not those).

Also - anyone else hear the Axioms? Those are my backup plan...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was also doing some research with my recent venture into my new A/V setup.....have you guys auditioned the Monitor Audio Radius 250? These things are amazing IMO! Best part of it is that it matches my 50' perfectly. Definitely something that someone should consider if you are looking for some "on-wall" speakers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.