AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my friend are having an argument, he says that my home theatre 5.1 speakers that I have mounted on the wall, would sound better if they were on floor stands, I disagree. Who is right and why?

Infinity-Total-Solutions-TSS-1200 5.1

·
Registered
820 Posts
The answer is, it depends. Usually, satellite speakers will sound their best when positioned a few feet away from any walls/floor/ceiling. However, if they were designed with wall mounting in mind, then it's quite possible that the balance between bass and midrange/treble will be off when they are places on stands well into the room. It appears that your speakers only have 3.5" woofers in each satellite, in a sealed cabinet? Those are some awfully tiny woofers, which won't really be capable of extending below about 120-150Hz with any authority. Mounting them on the wall will help augment the low end, so it's possible they could sound better in some respects. But that would be counterbalanced by the fact that you have the mid and high frequencies bouncing off the wall very close to the speaker, which can be detrimental to the sound.

I don't think there's a clear winner in your argument, unless you both can clarify what you each mean by 'better'. Sorry.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts