AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has come up in the past and I'm sure some folks will cringe when I ask, but here goes nothing. What are the ramifications of putting an "on wall" in the wall? In other words, if I had a speaker like the Ascend HTM-200 for rear surrounds that is 6.375 inches in depth of cutting a hole in the wall (2x6 construction) and putting the speaker in the wall so it just protrudes a little? Are there acoustical reasons for not doing this? The speakers would be covered with GOM, so I don't need to worry about how they look. Is this idiotic?

I know the alternatives are inwalls, columns, etc. I have other alternatives, I'm just looking to see if this is an option or not. I probably won't go this route (just not comfortable with it, gut feel), but was curious.

Thanks,

Bud

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
If you are going to put a speaker in a wall or any type of cavity leave several inches of space on all sides and back. Fill the space with acoustical foam. Even though it will be protruding you need to absorb resonances from the cabinet. I do think there are better options. We do this sometimes in cabinetry but you have to make sure you have enough space for the foam.

Bob

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
The relationship between the driver(s) and the front plane of the speaker (the baffle) is important. Set it into the wall and the wall becomes part of the baffle, changing the performance of the speaker. Drop Paul Scarpelli a PM for more about this.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
So,

long story short, it's probably inadviseable to do so because you effectively change the sound of the speaker by doing so. This negates the purpose of getting timbre matched speakers. So you're no better off in-walling a bookshelf speaker than just getting another brand in wall that's supposed to sound 'similar'.

Seth

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I imagine the consensus would be "inadvisable," especially given the other threads on the subject. You are in a bit of luck that these are surround speakers - as opposed to, say, the center speaker.

I know you wouldn't want to mount the speaker with the front face flush against the wall, but you weren't planning on doing that anyway.

I see many speakers that have some ... felt? ... on the front baffle of the speaker, around the drivers. How much of an improvement might you get by putting some of that on the face of the wall around the speakers? I'm just wondering if there's a way to make it work...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.