AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not HTPC related, but I just finished my first build. Barebones bundle from Newegg, SandyBridge/Gigiabyte/GSkill/Seagate 1tb. For my brother. This will be his main rig. for general PC usage.

I have a situation, where we have pre-wired inwall, for his AV receiver in the Living room. Planning the onboard audio out to his desktop speakers. I have a Creative Sound card that has digital out, that will be connected to his receiver.

I realize that I can trigger the digital out from the Creative dash, or the Windows Control Panel. I would like a solution that is easy for him. He doesn't really like messing with things, and tinkering the way I do...He will want to start his music...and either: turn on his stereo, or his destop speakers. I don't see him going in to the dash, and selecting/de-selecting the digital out...

Question:

Is there any sort of "auto switching" that can be done? Can I utilize the digital audio out, (to the receiver) and the analog audio for the desktop system at the same time? Then he can decide whether he wants the receiver on, or the desktop audio?

Thanks for any assistance, as always...

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't find anything on the board that states it has digital out. I guess I'll contact Gigabyte...

I did enable HD audio on the board, (vs AC97) thinking it would automatically give me a digital port. I have 3 front and 3 rear...nothing denoting digital, and no option in the control panel...

Thanks for the assist spivonious

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
If you have a Sandy Bridge system you are 99% sure to have digital out. Do you have HDMI or SPDIF output? You probably won't see anything in the Windows Sound panel until you plug something into one of those ports. Also did you install the drivers? I think they are part of the "Chipset" drivers if I remeber correctly.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes all installed...no hdmi support..vga only.

As mentioned, it is just a primary desktop for my brother, not an HTPC, and definitely not "high end". just a quickie build,to set myself up, to try my own HTPC/server, in the near future, and to help him out as an upgrade to his failing Dimension Xp machine....

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/20888321

Which motherboard is it? I can tell you for sure if it has digital out.
Linky

Seems to be a pretty base board, live and learn...the bundles aren't all they're cracked up to be...saving grace is: it won't matter to him at all...He will have a much better machine than he is currently getting by on... More research will be done for mine, and I tweak....

Quote:
Easiest solution is to stick with XP. Sounds like it will do what he needs and there is no need to switch since it will output digital and analog at the same time.

Really? I haven't tried it on his XP machine yet...(onboard failed a few years ago.) Anyways it's built with 7 64b loaded/updated/stable

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Hmm, at first glance it doesn't appear to have digital out. I'm checking through the manual now to see if it has something on the board itself.

To clear up some confusion, "HD Audio" is simply the latest update to AC97. AC97 maxes out at 48KHz/20-bit audio, while HD Audio can theoretically support 192KHz/32-bit audio. More information is here: http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/hdaudio.htm

edit: Yep, after checking the manual I can confirm that it has no digital output. If you're only interested in stereo, you could use both the rear and front connectors. The Windows Vista/7 audio system will output audio through the "default device" unless the specific application you're using lets you choose a different output device. Either way, your friend will have to manually switch outputs if he's going to be using the same program for audio playback. While Windows XP does support outputting to multiple outputs (if the audio drivers support it), I wouldn't recommend using XP. It's 10 years old and is nearing the end of its support lifecycle. It also doesn't take advantage of the latest hardware features and is much less secure.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for checking that out...

No problem, for him, though. Mostly casual listening 2 channel...I convinced him to rip everything lossless, in the last few years.

While it says it supports 7.1, (I don't see how... one of the front panel jacks must act as center, or sub out?)

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Yes, you'd need to use some of the front ports as well to get 7.1.

Typically, you'd have ports for Front L/R (green), Rear L/R (black), Middle L/R (gray), and Center/Sub (orange). But in this case they may be repurposing the line-in and microphone jacks to be selectable as outputs.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not to derail my own thread...I have set aside a partition for the OS per Asassin's instructions, I would like to do two things...set the default program install to the second "drive"...And to lock the "C Drive" from any additional info//programs being written to it....

How can I effectively do this?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
If you're willing to use J. River Media Center, this is actually quite easy to do. You can set up two zones, using different outputs from your onboard audio/soundcard, and then direct any media to play on those. You can even have them playing the same or different content simultaneously.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ooohhhh...I had no clue...JRIVER has been recommended by a ton of folks on AVS...I have the home page saved in my favorites...just never really read up on it much, thanks for the heads-up

·
Registered
2,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. /forum/post/0

ooohhhh...I had no clue...JRIVER has been recommended by a ton of folks on AVS...I have the home page saved in my favorites...just never really read up on it much, thanks for the heads-up

You're welcome. I confess I'm a big fan of J. River, mostly because the development team really listen to the users and try to implement what we want.

I'm looking forward to the user guide by AVSforum guy, Greeneyez, which is reportedly in the works. The software still has many secrets and I've used it for 3 1/2 years!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. /forum/post/20891007

Not to derail my own thread...I have set aside a partition for the OS per Asassin's instructions, I would like to do two things...set the default program install to the second "drive"...And to lock the "C Drive" from any additional info//programs being written to it....

How can I effectively do this?

In the registry go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVer sion and change the ProgramFilesDir entry to whatever you want.

These may mess up existing programs though, as they'll try to find themselves in the new location when they are in the old location. You're better off just choosing the new location when installing.

There is no way that I know of to prevent writes to a hard drive. You wouldn't want to prevent writes to it anyway, as that's where the user profiles are stored. Most apps will need to write settings and temporary files to certain folders under the user profile in order to work correctly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.