AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this on a DLP (Jersey Gardens Mall, NJ).

Picture quality was pretty good, although I did notice some "jaggies", especially on Depp's sunglasses in the first scene. I would be interested in comments from folks viewing it on film.

Lot's of scenes with the characters' faces partly in shadows. Color was very vivid. Gun shots everywhere, but not as loud and jarring as Open Range (I was very impressed with Open Range's final shootout).

As far as the content, I liked it. Not the best movie of the last few months, but maybe in the top 25%.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I'll be seeing it in a DLP cinema tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I saw it on film.

Color saturation was nice, but the hues looked a bit off in some scenes, particularly the flesh tones. The print was probably on Kodak 2393 stock, which helps provide more deeply saturated colors and also lowers the absolute black level. I liked the steadiness of the image, presumably caused by being shot digitally (no film running through a gate to capture the image), but it was lacking the detail seen in a feature shot on film with anamorphic lenses. Bright highlights had an overly contrasted look which I thought looked artificial.

The deeply saturated colors were pretty, but overall I was far from blown away and this movie does not convince me that digital photography has made 35mm film obsolete.

The movie was basically one big cartoon. I liked it more than Desperado. There is wall to wall action and plenty of variety from many characters. Salma Hayek is as hot as ever and Eva Mendes is another serious cutie. I wish they both had more screen time. I recommend this movie.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The wife and I saw this yesterday and had a great time watching it. RR gets better with each film and this final chapter in the series was a vast improvement over Desperado. There were flaws a plenty, but the film was so much fun with so many engaging characters and sequences that the flaws just didn't matter.

The DLP presentation was superb, with the kind of clarity few 35mm prints possess (because most are run off via high speed). The only flaw we both saw were pixels around small white objects. The DLP previews is the best place to spot this. The white lettering over the green screen clearly shows pixel structure.

DLP will only continue to improve and as the projectors get better, the pixel issues will go away. I hope. :)

I also hope like hell that Showtime gets this and not HBO because I would hate to see the glorious 2.35:1 framing butchered to 1.78:1. Damn HBO. :mad:

·
Registered
912 Posts
We're going to see this on Tuesday.

·
Registered
301 Posts
One thing that really bothered me about the presentation was how certain scenes had that video look about it.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) For example in the gun battle scene towards the end of the movie, the bright scenes had that washed out video look about it
. I thought 1080p/24 was supposed to look better than this.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Saw OUATIM Thursday Afternoon at Edwards/Regal Irvine Spectrum, CA

I must say I was quite disappointed in the PQ/look of the Movie

Colors too saturated...

Not enough Contrast for Dark Scenes....(about 1/2 the Movie is Inside&Dark)

and OnTopOfThat.....the Sound was too Bright/Loud

Now I saw Monsters Inc & StarWarsII there both on DLP

and I tell U they were just FINE

I felt myself squirming in my seat wishing I had the Color/Sound Controls

it's obvious 2 me they need to TWEAK each movie (like I do) for Max Results

as 4 the Movie itself....OUATIM

well a little toooo over the TOP 4 me

Desperado was Great...New....Different...Fun

Salma Hayek had a real PART in Desperado

the only Good thing was Johnny Depp (kinda Dr. StrangeLove part)

this is probably an older Christie Projector 1400x1050 native 3 chip

but U can't see any pixels (50ft screen) unless ur about 15 feet away

I like to sit 1 screen width (50ft) or less away myself....

and my GF (normally doesn't like ActionShootEmUps) Loved it.... :confused:

·
Registered
254 Posts
"Salma Hayek is as hot as ever and Eva Mendes is another serious cutie."

I'm sold.

That doesn't make me a shallow person...does it?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I thought the whole movie looked very low budget.. it looked like it was filmed on video rather then cameras.. it was a sharp picture but I think I prefer the film look to this.. it reminded me of something made for TV rather then a movie.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I saw this movie went to #1 in it's first week...which really suprised me. I thought Desperado was pretty much a sleeper, more popular as a superbit DVD. For PQ as opposed to story. Did i miss something, or did they just do a good job promoting the movie?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.