AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a chance to watch the "Making of" for Once Upon a Time in Mexico on HBO the other night, and they devoted a segment to the fact that it was shot using high-def cameras, and that Robert Rodriguez loved the extra freedom it gave him when composing shots.

My question is, will this mean it will have that window look when it shows up on one of the HD film channels? It looked great in 35mm. I never got a chance to see Star Wars: Episode II when it was running on HBO, which i recall was shot using high-def cameras as well.

·
Registered
396 Posts
the trailer for this movie on one of the INHD channels looked amazing, not quite the video look though that you get when you watch PBS, etc. I think the HD cameras they use for films use a frame rate that makes it resemble film more than video. not sure though, anyone want to refute.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
It will still look more like 35mm film. It will not have the "window" look of HD video. However, I can tell you that having seen1080p footage of a feature a friend of mine shot in HD, well, it bloody rocks the house. Just stunning beyond belief. No 35mm transfer I have seen can match what I saw. Not even U-571. Of course, this was 1080p.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I saw Mexico at a matinee today and was blown away by the PQ. I was thinking it was the best 35mm print I ever saw until I read from the above post that Rodriguez had used HD cameras...no damn wonder it looked so good!

This one will be a treat in HD.....

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
It's an enjoyable action movie, but they went a bit too cartoony. Desperado seemed much more realistic (though even that had some over the top stuff). I go into movies not expecting much so I usually enjoy myself. It helps with some of the crap that is out these days.

But I will say you can split Once... Mexico into two movies. Scenes with Depp and scenes without him. I enjoy watching him so much anymore.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I don't think the movie stunk. It was much better than the overrated Desperado.

·
Registered
19,017 Posts
He shot Spy Kids 2 the same way and it's on Showtime Oct 4. Right now it's listed as a 4x3 Upcon, which would be doubly dissapointing.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Even Roger Ebert admits OUaTiM looks very good, and he's not a big fan of digital film making. (He thinks it's ok for certain movies like indie films to keep down the cost, but not to replace film.)

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drhill

But I will say you can split Once... Mexico into two movies. Scenes with Depp and scenes without him. I enjoy watching him so much anymore.
If you liked Depp there, you should see him in Pirates of Caribbean. If there's an Oscar for Best Performance in an UnOscar-like Movie, he's a lock to win.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I did. "Yes, but why is there no rum?!"

I enjoyed the movie (both actually) even if it doesn't deserve an award. Not really a fan of Ebert.

I though OUaTiM looked great in theaters. Still looked like film (obviously because it was on film, even if it wasn't shot on it) and the colors and sharpness were great. First time I though the movie theater looked noticably better then an HD movie.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.