AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the back cover of my box for OUATITW it says widescreen version enhanced for 16X9 TV's. Whats going on it looks like it is a 2.35 movie?

Thanks, Deron.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
It is. All that means is the 2.35 image is letterboxed within the 16x9 enhanced area. If it weren't enhanced (that is, anamorphic) you'd be seeing the 2.35 letterboxed image within a 4x3 area. All anamorphic "scope" ratio films are like this, and you are getting the benefit of the higher resolution that comes with an anamorphic transfer. :)

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by deronmoped
On the back cover of my box for OUATITW it says widescreen version enhanced for 16X9 TV's. Whats going on it looks like it is a 2.35 movie?

Thanks, Deron.
FredProgGH is correct. It's enhanced for 16x9 TELEVISIONS. This does NOT mean that the image size is "16x9" (i.e., 1.78:1). This means that all the resolution of the film has been "squeezed" to fit into a 16x9 window. This means the 425 scan lines have been "squeezed" to fit the height of a 16x9 TV, whose proportional height is 75% that of a standard 4:3 television.

If you have a 16x9 TV, this "window" fits the entire height and width of your TV.

If you have a 4:3 TV with a 16x9 squeeze feature (as do all HD-capable 4:3 TVs and some that are not HD-capable, like low-end Sony WEGAs), NONE of 425 lines of the video image resolution is lost to the "black bars" space above and below the 16x9 window on 4:3 TVs when viewing "enhanced for 16x9 televisions" DVDs with the "squeeze" feature on.

Having said that, though, if the movie's aspect ratio (AR) is wider than 1.78:1 (or 1:85:1, due to overscan on most TVs), there will be some black space above and below the image that is displayed in the 16x9 "window." THIS black area does contain resolution scan lines, so a 2.35:1 movie will only have 75% or so of the total scan lines displaying movie picture image as a 1.78:1 image does (because 25% of the "image" is in the black space), but that's irrelevant for viewing purposes, as an 8" high image in a 16x9 window is going to use the same number of scan lines, and hence have the same resolution, on the same TV whether the AR is 1.78:1 or 2.35:1.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I believe the DVD is 1.78:1 even though it was shown in the theater at 2.35:1. It was filmed on digital equipment at 1.78:1 and matted to 2.35:1 for theatrical release and now the DVD is back to 1.78:1.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Quote:
I believe the DVD is 1.78:1 even though it was shown in the theater at 2.35:1.
No, it's 2.35, just as it was in the theater.

Quote:
It was filmed on digital equipment at 1.78:1 and matted to 2.35:1 for theatrical release
You think a movie made in 1968 was "filmed on digital equipment"?? No, it was shot on FILM in 2.35:1 Techniscope.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My bad.....Sorry about that. I thought it was another movie.

·
Registered
29,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by airic43
My bad.....Sorry about that. I thought it was another movie.
You're thinking of Once Upon a Time in Mexico.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man all this stuff gets very confusing. I read about 16X9 enhanced and the way they explained it made me think the image will be 16X9.

They have to come up with a better standard of telling us how the movie is going to look on our display device. When I read the box (Once Upon A Time In The West) it said "widescreen version enhanced for 16X9 TV's". Which widescreen? Now on my Heart "Alive In Seattle" it says, "Heart Alive In Seattle is presented in a 1.78:1 widescreen aspect ratio. ENHANCED FOR 16X9 TVs". Now that I can understand.

Right now I have no idea of how a movie will look till I play it, if they are leaving out important information.

Deron.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by barhoram
but how does it look?
It looks great, but there is too much edge enhancement, distracting at times.

Don't know what edge enhancement is? DON'T ASK. YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW. It will ruin future viewing experiences, 'cause you'll be looking for it. :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Quote:
Right now I have no idea of how a movie will look till I play it, if they are leaving out important information.
Why is this important as long as you are watching the movie in its Original Aspect Ratio? A dvd is either modified to fit a particular screen format or it is not.

The term "Enhanced for 16x9 TVs" is merely a dumbed down phrase the studios use for anamorphic and has nothing to do with the film's OAR or what aspect ratio is presented on the DVD.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dertah
The term "Enhanced for 16x9 TVs" is merely a dumbed down phrase the studios use for anamorphic and has nothing to do with the film's OAR or what aspect ratio is presented on the DVD.
It's a whole lot better than "This movie has been modified to fit your screen" -- which is decidedly NOT the case with my 16x9 TV! :D

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
It's a whole lot better than "This movie has been modified to fit your screen" -- which is decidedly NOT the case with my 16x9 TV! :D
I think it would be a blast to sue a studio over that just to see the response... :D

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dertah

The reason it is important to me to know the aspect ratio is if I reviewing movies to buy or watch one thing I look at is the aspect ratio that will fit my screen. There are so many good movies that have been made over the years, that this allows me to pick the ones that will bring out the best in my system.

Deron.

Deron.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Quote:
one thing I look at is the aspect ratio that will fit my screen. There are so many good movies that have been made over the years, that this allows me to pick the ones that will bring out the best in my system.
Oh no....another "I can't tolerate 'black bars' on my TV" person (including 4:3 movies in this case). :(

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Just stop bickering about it and go buy the damn thing :) It was $14.99 at Walmart, I got it a few weeks ago. Yes it looks great, yes there is EE. You may or may not like the movie, its VERY Leone to say the least hehe.

-Trouble

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
$13.99 at Movie Trading Company in the Dallas Metroplex -- if they have a used copy, it's $9.99 (what I paid).

WELL WORTH IT!

And, the Special Features documentaries on disc 2 are great, as is the accompanying audio commentary. There are so many allusions to classic Westerns in this movie, from the actors (Woody Strode) to the checkered tablecloths to the noon-time clock to Monument Valley to so many others, as the commentary elucidates. In other words:

1. Watch the movie (3 hours)

2. Watch the documentaries (1.5 - 2 hours)

3. Watch the movie again with the commentary track (3 hours).

Enjoy yourself!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.