AVS Forum banner

11281 - 11300 of 32116 Posts

·
Banned
668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet /forum/post/12678967

No. And no 'managed copy' like function was even planned for the failed SACD product...

I didn't realize SACD is so restrictive. Originally I was thinking of going with the 80G PS3 over the 40G purely for the SACD feature, but if I do go the PS3 route now I will stick to the 40G.

IMO a product that takes away a consumer's fair-use rights deserves to fail.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsrgreat /forum/post/12679778

Looking on these threads there is a 40, 60, and 80 gig player.

When I go to sony, they are only showing the 40 and 80 gig player. Is the 60 still available?

Also I need to be able to play ps2 games on this thing, so which one do I need?

As far as BR movies, they all do the same thing, correct?

You may be able to find the 60G in a store somewhere but it has been discontinued so it won't be on Sony's site, it is fully backwards compatible so it is your best choice, the 80G has good backwards compatibility but the 40G has none.

Yes they all play Blu-Ray movies the same.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsrgreat /forum/post/12679778

When I go to sony, they are only showing the 40 and 80 gig player. Is the 60 still available?

20s and 60s are discontinued but may still be around here and there.

You will need the 60 or 80 to play PS 1,2 games.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCD /forum/post/12679826

I didn't realize SACD is so restrictive. Originally I was thinking of going with the 80G PS3 over the 40G purely for the SACD feature, but if I do go the PS3 route now I will stick to the 40G.

Muh huh.

·
Registered
612 Posts

Quote:

Then you shouldn't be supporting Blu-Ray, or even HD DVD. (BD being slightly worse, in that is has optional Region Coding and optional BD+ protection.)

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts

Quote:

100+ million IPODs have sold

·
Registered
612 Posts
Please don't turn the PS3 thread into a "Warner leaves HD DVD" or "HD DVD is almost dead" thread... there are plenty of those. It has nothing to do with BD or PS3. Move on...

·
Registered
2,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet /forum/post/12682715

Please don't turn the PS3 thread into a "Warner leaves HD DVD" or "HD DVD is almost dead" thread... there are plenty of those. It has nothing to do with BD or PS3. Move on...

This is a thread by Blu-Ray, for Blu-Ray, and TO Blu-Ray so yes - this is news that's appropriate here. It's not meant to incite - just inform. Not intended to start 'flaming' HDDVD - just inform. I have both HDDVD and a PS3 so this isn't to slam HDDVD - just inform those (like me) that might have both formats.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Wryker, my comment was more in regards to the first reply... could have started a bad trend of junk postings. By the way, this is a PS3 as a BD player thread, not a BD thread.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet /forum/post/12682981

Wryker, my comment was more in regards to the first reply... could have started a bad trend of junk postings. By the way, this is a PS3 as a BD player thread, not a BD thread.

DOH!!

·
Registered
824 Posts

Quote:

It already DID fail. you're proving nothing to no one and missing out on some awesome music.

·
Registered
824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse /forum/post/12681052

can't image how ugly it would look on a 60inch screen.

not very ugly AT ALL, actually. the upscaling and smoothing for ps1 games is very good.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusta /forum/post/12672372

We do know. The PS3 does not have true HDMI 1.3a, so no bitstream of audio.

I have not heard that from anyone at Sony, only speculation here. So...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Sony will never admit that! You'll wait forever.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krholmberg /forum/post/12684003

Sony will never admit that! You'll wait forever.

You may indeed by correct, who knows?

But, it is in their best interest to make it work. So, at some point they will have to admit that it won't or release an update that will.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/12684109

You may indeed by correct, who knows?

But, it is in their best interest to make it work. So, at some point they will have to admit that it won't or release an update that will.

One only hopes... I have a PS3 but I'm not holding my breath. I'll be happy with internal decoding and full 2.0 functionality... bitstreaming DTS MA would be frosting on the cake!

11281 - 11300 of 32116 Posts