AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to do my best to follow all these forums and poked around at CES and all, but I still can't find the answer to a simple question.

What is the best way to record HDTV with a PVR?

Here are the drawbacks of everything I've looked into. If anyone can offer corrections or updated info, or steer me in another direction, I'd appreciate it.

DISH 921

> OTA signals not in channel guide

LG 3410A

> Can't record and playback at the same time

HD-TIVO

> Not available yet

> DirecTV doesn't have enough HD content

VOOM

> PVR not available yet

> Doesn't carry even Sci-fi channel, would have to get cable and then couldn't use program guide to record

SA8000HD

>Time Warner reports won't be available until August 04

> Mixed reviews on picture quality on this board

D-VHS

> No interest in messing with VHS tapes anymore

Amazing that I've got money to spend but I can't find a simple timeshifting HD PVR that will satisfy my most basic needs. I'm not even concerned with a DVI or firewire, as I don't archive programs.

If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know! Maybe I'm missing something here.

·
Registered
372 Posts
There isn't a good way right now.

I'm in the same situation.

We are a little ahead of the curve. Wait 4-6 months and you will have a couple options, cable DVRs (in my case, Comcast) and HDtivo direct, which will get more HD content over time.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tomh
HD-TIVO

> Not available yet

> DirecTV doesn't have enough HD content
True enough. However, consider this:

The folks who are preordering the HD-DVR250 have a reasonable expectation that they will get them the first week of April. (I'm one of them.) Yes, it's a wait, but I can survive with a non-PVR HD receiver and two SD Tivos until then.

It's also true that D* is somewhat lacking in HD content -- but when you add up all of the things that air when you're asleep/not home/whatever, plus all of the content available OTA, it doesn't look bad at all. Yeah, it'll be nice if D* adds some more HD movie channels (as long as they show HD content, and not upconverted SD like ESPN) but I expect that having my HD PVR is going to be kept quite busy right from the start even without that happening.

I doubt that anything will come close to the HD Tivo this year in terms of stability, usability, or capability. Especially after I slap a second 250GB drive into that chassis. :)

-T.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tomh
Maybe I'm missing something here.
Yes, perhaps that the first HD capable PVR for DBS was just introduced in the last few weeks.

The LG/Zenith has only been on the market a few months, and the cable HD PVR's for a little less.

You're just early.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
> The LG/Zenith has only been on the market a few months

A minor correction here, since this comprises two separate units.

The Zenith HDR-230 has been on the market since May of 2003; the LG 3410 is supposedly shipping this week, which means it isn't actually *on* the market, but should be any day now. These units are not the same, and have significantly different feature sets.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Desmond
> The LG/Zenith has only been on the market a few months

A minor correction here, since this comprises two separate units.

The Zenith HDR-230 has been on the market since May of 2003; the LG 3410 is supposedly shipping this week, which means it isn't actually *on* the market, but should be any day now. These units are not the same, and have significantly different feature sets.
Thanks Thomas, a friend of mine had the Zenith back in Feb. 03. And with the 921 buzz going back over a year, it's not like I'm being impatient.

:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.