AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

first off I want to say thanks for all the great advice I have gotten off here, I have read a good bit and have really narrowed down my options for my new hi-def tv.

I have 1 final question before the purchase(probly more later
)

1) where to buy?? I have been looking around and Amazon seems to have decent prices with free shipping(and scheduled delivery) but they charge sales tax (booooo).

Plus, after 1 time of dealing with a return through them... not fun...

Suggestions? who's got good prices, good CS, and fast shipping? I don't wanna just grab the lowest tag as some of the online dealers are real sketchy looking!

Doing Google shopping I don't see anything close to the $1200 tag (for the Panaonic G10 - that price includes the tax and shipping is free) that Amazon has.

The local Sam's club doesn't have the 46in but they do have the 50in at $1200 + tax.... hmmmm....$100 more worth the extra 4in? I really wanted to stay around 1K but don't know that I'd be happy with a 42in... I'll have to go look at a 42in by itself without seeing it side by side with a 46 or 50in...

Then if I do a 42in, the S1 is $150 cheaper than the G10 model...

decisions decisions...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can't comment on online TV retailers as I bought my 42" S1 locally.

Ultimately settled on the S1 or G10 and because my previous HD CRT had crapped out it and I could only find the 11G in floor models it came down to which one the retailer got in first as their prices were around a $100 difference prior to release earlier in the year. Waiting with a 19" LCD in the living room was killing me.

As for size, base it on the space you have and your budget. The 42" works well in my living room which is long but not very wide, so seating distance on the couch is maybe 6 to 7 feet max opposite the TV. If it was available and in my price range I would probably go for the 46" now.

My in-laws have a 46" set but in a much bigger room, so it doesn't seem any larger than my TV when I visit. However I know if my TV was there it would clearly seem too small for the space.

If you can afford a bigger screen and have the space I would recommend it. I think that will ultimately please you more IMO even if it means getting the S1 over a G10.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input dude. I am buying a house, and closing is in about 1 week so I can't get in and measure right now, but guestimation puts the couch at about 6-8 feet from the TV.

I am sure the 46in will be more than fine size-wise, heck 42 probly would as well, and the around $150 price difference makes it a tough upgrade....

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Buy the largest display you can afford. The size will override the PQ difference (if any) after a few days. You'll be sorry you didn't go with the larger size in the first place.

I went local. The dealer was darn close to internet price. You want to have a reliable dealer who can work with you for any repair / replacement options.

The manufacturer's web site will list the authorized internet dealers (if you go that route). If you buy anywhere else, you risk having no warranty.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looking at the local shops web sites(sams, best buy, sears, etc.) and looking at the 50in models, I actually found that the Samsung 50in PN50B550 is actually $100 less then the Viera S1 50in.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218065984837

They don't have any local but can get one from another store.

I may go that route.

The Panny and Sammy seem to be the two best bang for buck tvs, I am sure I'd be more than happy with either, so why not get the best I can for the cheapest I can...

I dunno, I think I prefer the Pannys though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts