AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm hoping someone can answer a quick question for me. I'm looking for a remote with an RF base station, learning capability, macros and future PC programability and thus, my search has led me to two contenders: the One for All 9910 and the Radio Shack 2117. They are actually virtually the same remote, but there are a few differences and I need to know a few things to help me decide.

So, basically, I think I'd prefer the 9910 because, simply, it has more buttons. What I want to know though is this: the Radio Shack version allows you to program a macro on ANY button, including the "shifted" buttons that are accessed by pressing the "p" setup button first.

The 9910 comes with 3 macro buttons, but I want to know if you can also use any other button, like the Radio Shack counter part.

Also, I would think that the 9910 also has the shift ability, using it's "setup" button that is akin to the "p" button of the Radio Shack 2117.

So if anyone knows the answers to these queries...please let me know!

Thanks,

Rob H.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Yes, you can program macros on almost any buttons on both remotes and they both have shift ability.

Most important for a lot of us, they both are programmable from a pc via JP1 so you can add discrete codes, add upgrades for equipment that the remote doesn't have any codes for, basically do anything with these babies that you can do with a pronto. For more info, see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/messages as well as www.hifi-remote.com

To each his own, but there are a lot of people (like myself) who absolutely hate the 9910 (and its 8910 sister) and vastly prefer the 2117 (or its non-rf sister the 2116). I've got all four of these remotes and I would never never use the 8910 or 9910 -- they have a layout that is extremely user unfriendly...the button layout is not terribly intuitive and it is very hard to navigate around the remote without looking at it. Also, the select and transort keys are all on the same ring and are very very difficult to operate reliably. Meanwhile, the 2116 and 2117 are very easy to operate by feel without needing to look at them, and there are plenty of buttons on them to do anything you want to do. I have completley replaced 8 remotes and didn't run out of buttons...and some people have got it running 12 or more pieces of equipment.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Basically they are the same remote internally, so whatever you can do with one you can do with the other. (The shift button is the green P on the RS and the SET buttonon the OFA).

The advantage of the 9910 is that it does indeed have more buttons, including several "spare" buttons (ie, macro, learning). This is a major flaw of the 2117 in my opinion. But, the 2117 has a nice usable SELECT button, where the SELECT button on the 9910 sucks. Another 9910 advantage is that you can get upgrades over the phone as it has a built in modem, but if you get yourself a JP1 cable, this difference will be moot.

So like Alan said, it all comes down to a personal preference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.