AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using a Delta 410 as preamp/processor in my HTPC, and have found that as the PC is turned on or off, I get a very ugly noise come through the speakers. So obviously I try and remember to power up the amps after the PC, and power them down before the PC gets put to bed.

Has anyone managed to get round this? I'm about to build a 4 channel power amp for my surround channels, and I'll incorporate a mute switch in that, but still not failsafe for other family members. Started having bizarre thoughs about running a relay based switch/mute box controlled from the parallel port of the PC, so I could mute/turn on/off amps using some software/Girder, but I think I may be going a little over the top.

Any other thoughts?

Richard

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
You could use X-10 modules, so when you power up the PC, it will turn on the module on your amp is when Girder starts. That's the easy way to do it, in my opinion. I use Girder to send a command when switching from MP3 jukebox use to HTPC use. It sends a command to the X-10 control module (CM-111 or something like that) to power up my CRT proj, subwoofer amp and the amp for the cheap Buttkicker copies that are in my seating plattform. :cool:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Power on/off electrostatic shock is one of the most serious flaws of the Delta 410 card. I have built in speakers and switching them on and off is not an easy task. I have opted to keep the HTPC on continuously instead.

Recently I bought RME DIGI96/8 PAD card and power on of is completely silent.

I wander if the new M-Audio Revolution has this problem as it is a serious drag?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Beware of the Delta 410 shut down noise! I fried two tweeters because of it...

I've been using a Girder script to keep things under control (In this script, my UIRT2 switches my external dolby processor to an unused input when the PC shuts down)... it works well for the most part, but is not perfect: It won't protect you in the case of a spontaneous reboot, and the detection of Power Off events in Girder under XP is faulty... which means that you have to use the remote to shut down the PC, instead of using the Windows menu (Strangely, the standby and hibernation events work very well even via the menu...)

I hope the next generation of M-Audio products will overcome this issue...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for these thoughts. Just been looking at X-10 - always assumes it's very expensive, but it's not too bad - apart from the fact it's a lot more expensive in the UK than over in the States - oh well.

The spontaneous reboot is one I'd not thought about - oh joy! Must admit, I'd be interested to know how the Revolution performs in this respect too - it would almost be worth changing over just for that!

Re X10 - am I right in understanding that the X-10 ActiveHome software can be used by Girder (by batch command or other means)? The computer module I have found on a UK site is the CM12U - looks like the right thing.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I've got an 11A, I guess it's only an upgrade of that. So it should work. But I use HomeSeer and it's ability to accept batchfiles as commands. It works flawlessly for me. There was some talk about a CM11A plugin at the Girder forum, but I don't know if that ever got of the ground. Try at the Girder forum. :cool:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Richard, I am using an UIRT2 and one of the extra outputs that it can handle. When hooked up (soldered) properly (i can explain how) you can have a 5 volt switch that is either hot or dead. This switch controls the 1/8" minijack dc power switch that can be found on some amps, line conditioners (i use this), or processors. It works perfectly and also serves as an excellent power strip and line conditioner for my amps and HTPC. Girder turns the amps on after the pc loads and off just before the amps shut down. I highly recommend this system as it is completely configurable and a neat and tidy intallation.

Samsonite

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the kind of thing I was considering, but I'd have to use a relay to switch things off and on - but if I have a controllable 5V supply, then that's no big deal. Shame I already have an IRMan in some ways! (Mind, I did get it cheap). If you can point me to a link for how that UIRT was set up, I'd be grateful!

Richard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.