AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to connect multiple monitors to the htpc (namely up to 4 connections).

- LCD display in the case (running vga 800x600)

- Projector (running DVI-I 1024x720)

- LCD TV (running VGA 1024x720 or greater)

- Possibly a fourth LCD TV (running HDMI, DVI-I or VGA 1024x720).


The reasons that the monitors run in different mode and connection is due to the cables already set up in the proper area.


My question is *how* ?? :huh:


Should I invest in two video cards, ie GeForce Nvidia 7600GT or similar? Or should I invest in a cable splitter? Most likely it will be a combination of LCD display and any of the LCD and projector on at the same time, but not all of them on at the same time..


I find the price for a good DVI-splitter quite expensive, and a video card better?



Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,034 Posts
While you can run all those off two dual head cards you will find it's not so easy making sure things are coming up on the right display you want etc. For example video such as DVD, xvid, atsc etc playback will usually only work on the primary monitor, which you just select in the video card settings but it can be a real pain to have to constantly switch which one is primary even if you create shortcuts for it.


The easiest way to get video out to all iof them (save perhaps the intenal lcd) would be to run a splitter/distribution amp off one output such that your three main displays all get the same screen and desktop and you never have to fiddle with which is primary and which different applications will come up on. (or error messages)

I use 16 port vga splitters which can be found super cheap everywhere, when you get into dvi/hdmi or god forbid HDCP then you're in territiry I'm not familiar with and is sure to cost more. But trust me, running 4 independant displays is tricky and a amp/splitter is so much easier it may be the best for you.


Troy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
802 Posts
since windows 98, the Windows OS is capable of using multiple PCI graphics cards for multiple monitors. I think the limit is like 16 or something. If they all play nice together you can get some half decent PCI cards and hook them to your different devices. Hope that helps.

PS, I like this way better becasue each monitor has it's own dedicated hardware.

I built a 4 display rig for a store and it was easy. Simple PCI cards. I just added them one at a time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,131 Posts
What you're going to find, is that it's essentially impossible to run all those displays at different resolutions...


AND


Display the same thing on them all at the same time (what I presume you want to do).


Video does not play terribly well with clone mode, and clone mode doesn't work with different resolutions.


I think a distribution amp, and picking a resolution that's the best compromise is your best bet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/0


What you're going to find, is that it's essentially impossible to run all those displays at different resolutions...


AND


Display the same thing on them all at the same time (what I presume you want to do).


Video does not play terribly well with clone mode, and clone mode doesn't work with different resolutions.


I think a distribution amp, and picking a resolution that's the best compromise is your best bet.

I wouldn't say it's impossible, but there are definitely some compromises that will be made. I do it at work (3 LCDs and one projector, the projector at a higher res than the LCDs, all monitoring different things), but I'm not watching movies on them though either...As far as cloning, I concur, you're better off getting a Solipsys system or something like that and possibly integrating more than one computer into it. It'd be easier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehrico76 /forum/post/0


I wouldn't say it's impossible, but there are definitely some compromises that will be made. I do it at work (3 LCDs and one projector, the projector at a higher res than the LCDs, all monitoring different things),

Ah, but you're viewing different things, I was saying, different resolutions (on 4 displays) and cloning the same thing to all of them is all but impossible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/0


Ah, but you're viewing different things, I was saying, different resolutions (on 4 displays) and cloning the same thing to all of them is all but impossible.

I missed the *and*...funny how much of a difference one word makes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
802 Posts
If your using the PCI method you can run them in different Resolution and color depths etc. YOU can do this becasue they have seperate controllers. Finding a MOBO with enough PCI slot to do this and allow for other cards would be the trick. Getting the same image etc in different reslotuion might be difficult but I doubt it. Every card would give you the option of setting as a cloe or a extension of the desktop. Good luck, Hope this helps.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top