AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a flat panel LCD in my kitchen and would like to add another on the opposite side of the same wall in the living room. What I'd like to do is have a HTPC in the kitchen and keyboards and mice in both rooms and be able to control the HTPC from either place. Since the two screens are on opposite sides of the same wall cable lengths should not be an issue. Is this fairly strightforward in Windows 7? Do I need a special video card to support this, or two separate video cards? I don't need it to support two different pictures simultaneously, just have the ability to toggle between two different screens without having to get into the settings menus or reboot the machine every time I want to switch. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
What are your plans for sound in each room?

BB

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18192188

If both displays have the same resolution you could just use "clone mode" with a dual display video card.

Thanks! I will look into that.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird999 /forum/post/18193328

What are your plans for sound in each room?

In the kitchen I've just been using the sound from my LCD TV. In the living room I'm planning to install surround sound. The AVR would go in the kitchen alongside the HTPC. So I guess another way to go to get video from the HTPC to both displays would be to get an AVR with two video outs although from my research AVR's with two video outs are at the high end of the price scale. Or maybe there is some kind of stand alone video switch with two outputs, but there again most of the video switches available are designed to solve the problem of multiple inputs going to a single output rather than the problem I have of one input going to two outputs.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18195824

You can buy a dual display 8600GT video cards for $50, why try to do it with an AVR? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-112-_-Product

Thanks! Looks like a $50 video card will do what I want as far as one HTPC to two displays. Now, suppose I also want to do surround sound to the living room. There are $400 HD 5870 cards that do bitstream audio but do I need to go all the way from a $50 card to a $400 card to get surround sound to my AVR? Or is there another way to get surround sound from the HTPC to the AVR?

·
Registered
401 Posts
You only need an ATI 5xxx series card to bit-stream audio. I went with a 5750 because I play a few games as well. There are even cheaper ones available.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by otaguy /forum/post/18204313

Thanks! Looks like a $50 video card will do what I want as far as one HTPC to two displays. Now, suppose I also want to do surround sound to the living room. There are $400 HD 5870 cards that do bitstream audio but do I need to go all the way from a $50 card to a $400 card to get surround sound to my AVR? Or is there another way to get surround sound from the HTPC to the AVR?

If you don't need Dolby True HD (5.1 is good enough for you) you can just use the SPDIF out on your computer to your AVR. Does your AVR support lossless formats through HDMI? You could also use the analog outs on your PC and use the multichannel in on your AVR.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts