AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shouldn't create a thread about this but I get so astoundingly happy over things like this I can't help share my joy.

From weeks ago I have been stressed about how to hang my projector. I made at least two threads asking about it. I am pretty much alone. My friends don't like to drive where I am let alone to work on my projector. I tried a renting a genie lift but it was 50 bucks...which is fine but I just have a 4 door sedan. No way it that going to fit. They are huge. I got a good tip to use chains. I thought wow now that's a great solution I can do and cheap too. Well my friends, heavy chain by the foot gets pretty expensive multiplied by four twenty foot lengths. Still it was doable.

I have been working like mad on my theater and made myself broke like the rest of you. So I live at my bosses old house and am reminded of him saying he has a Sandblaster there I could sell for a hundred bucks and split the profits. So I am looking for every buck I can get. I go look at it and Ill be damned it that son of a ***** isn't resting on a huge Genie Lift.

A gawld damned 300 pound genie lift has been sitting ten feet away from my theater for two months and I never knew it. It looks like it was just born to lift projectors. I have got shelves to hang and all kinds of tricky stuff to do and this is going to be so much easier. Un be forking lievable!!!.

Thats all I have to say. Over and out.

·
Registered
282 Posts
"All good things happen to those who wait" ...Homer Simpson

Great story.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
What's this Genie Lift look like?

I googled "genie lift" and found their web site. Here would be the sweet ticket for lifting CRTs in basement HTs.

http://www.genieindustries.com/ml-series/ml-1-1.asp

It only weights 65 lbs. and collapse down to make it through the twisty stairs.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAW
What's this Genie Lift look like?

I googled "genie lift" and found their web site. Here would be the sweet ticket for lifting CRTs in basement HTs.

http://www.genieindustries.com/ml-series/ml-1-1.asp

It only weights 65 lbs. and collapse down to make it through the twisty stairs.

Wow. Now that's an unbelievable shot. That seems insane to lift something that large and heavy looking on so small a footprint.

The one I have looks like a large hand truck with forklift tongs... let me see if I can find an image.... http://www.materialflow.com/MFG-PRODS/Genie/GL3-tn.jpg

Mine is like this but about a hundred times uglier and probably a hundred pounds heavier.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I built my own scissor lift for about $40.

1). Bottle Jack

2). 4 2x4's

3). some 5" long 3/8 bolts

4). short piece of 1/2 EMT Conduit cut to use as bolt sleeves

5). 4 casters

6). 2 12' 2x6's to build the frame for the base and top life box

Pretty much it just cut the 2x4's into 4' sections and put a bolt through the center of the X and and connect it to the base with one bolt on each leg, connect the top of X to the legs from the second X then attach the box to the tope of the top X. Mount the jack off of a mount plate on the bottom attach it to on of the legs so the it pushes the scissor up.

I added 3/4" piece of tube that I bent into a handle that I connected a linkage to the jack with a rod that pumps the jack up as you push up and then down on. Cheap solution... simple to build and light

DTK..

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Don,

I followed most of that, though I'm not sure what a bottle jack is.

I don't suppose you could provide a picture?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomiccow
I got a good tip to use chains. I thought wow now that's a great solution I can do and cheap too. Well my friends, heavy chain by the foot gets pretty expensive multiplied by four twenty foot lengths.
Glad you found a solution, but I have a question about chains: Why four 20' lengths?? Is your ceiling 20' high? Most people should need more then four 6' or 7' lengths. You also don't need very heavy chain. The really heavy stuff can lift thousands and thousands of pounds. Even fairly thin chain can do a few hundred pounds pretty easily, and since you'll always have 3 connected at a time, there's no problems there.

Kal

·
Registered
213 Posts
"ya we got a couple of these at work for servers. its hard to lift all the way to the celing with these though"

I rented one to mount my projector...you can flip the forks...goes right up to the ceiling...flush....up to 15ft. Maybe your forks dont flip on those models?

A Genie lift is awesome for one man projector mounting.

Correction, this is what I used: http://www.genieindustries.com/ml-series/ml-1-5.asp

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I used a slightly different method once. I got an air mattress and put a 9500LC on it. Then I got a stripper named Misty Mountains to blow up the air mattress. All was going well until the air mattress popped, and the 9500 landed on Misty. Her new stage name is now Veronica Valleys.

:)

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme
I used a slightly different method once. I got an air mattress and put a 9500LC on it. Then I got a stripper named Misty Mountains to blow up the air mattress. All was going well until the air mattress popped, and the 9500 landed on Misty. Her new stage name is now Veronica Valleys.

:)
Curt,

You from time to time mention how many "Gentlemans Clubs" use CRTs. I was at a bachelor party yesterday and was at one of these clubs. I noticed a good ol CRT displaying The Sports Network (TSN - the Canadian equivalent of ESPN) in the area reserved for our party. It was the only FP CRT in the joint. Although there were direct view CRTs throughout. It was either a Zeinth or an NEC - I really wasn't paying too much attention to it given the environment. The intake vents and exhausts on the beige cover were pretty dirty probably back from the days when smoking was allowed in bars. One of my buddies says to me: "Hey they got the same type of PJ you have at home but the picture here looks crap." Colors were off (might have been the black light), focus off, geometry off (bottom of the screen wasn't straight but instead curved) but surprisingly convergence was ok. I replied to my buddy "I'll offer my services to get this thing dialed in but I will only work on barter" :) Sorry for being off topic - I tried to stay on the "lift" theme.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by EC
Curt,

You from time to time mention how many "Gentlemans Clubs" use CRTs. I was at a bachelor party yesterday and was at one of these clubs. I noticed a good ol CRT displaying The Sports Network (TSN - the Canadian equivalent of ESPN) in the area reserved for our party. It was the only FP CRT in the joint. Although there were direct view CRTs throughout. It was either a Zeinth or an NEC - I really wasn't paying too much attention to it given the environment. The intake vents and exhausts on the beige cover were pretty dirty probably back from the days when smoking was allowed in bars. One of my buddies says to me: "Hey they got the same type of PJ you have at home but the picture here looks crap." Colors were off (might have been the black light), focus off, geometry off (bottom of the screen wasn't straight but instead curved) but surprisingly convergence was ok. I replied to my buddy "I'll offer my services to get this thing dialed in but I will only work on barter" :) Sorry for being off topic - I tried to stay on the "lift" theme.

Its sports bars and restaurants that run tv all day long in darkened rooms that keep CRT such a great secret. They look so crappy people probably just smile politely when you brag about your CRT thinking your a moron for putting one of those in your house.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomiccow
A gawld damned 300 pound genie lift has been sitting ten feet away from my theater for two months and I never knew it. It looks like it was just born to lift projectors. I have got shelves to hang and all kinds of tricky stuff to do and this is going to be so much easier. Un be forking lievable!!!.

dang, you should mow the back lawn you might an extra vehicle back there too :D

I have never rented a lift because I have a good neighbor, and the 2 of us hoisted the Marquee 8 feet up the hard way. Nice thing about ceiling brackets, just got to hook those 2 ears before you blow a tube down under. :p Hope all goes well with your install too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.