AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in another thread, and just wanted to show one man's logical and unemotional method of deciding on a future proejctor. This was in response to a fellow forum member inquiring as to which projector I would consider, and it was in a thread that I feel would not be viewed to the specific topic, so I thought I would share it with the rest of you :)

(I may have made some modifications to it)

"As for my next projector?

First, I will say this. I spent WAY too much money on the Sharp. If I had waited even a year or two, I could have got so much better. But, that is part of the game. On that note, I am never spending more than 6K U.S (which would be 9K Cdn.) again on a projector, due to the nature of the changing market, UNLESS, I was sure that it would be usable for the next 5 years.

Ok, now that that has been said, I will tell you my points on the issue of my next projector. I will give you my full logic, too, so you can understand where I am coming from.

The primary reason that I want to upgrade is for more pixels (less screen door), and better black level. I think that is the one thing I am most aware of with the 55u, the

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Great post, David!

Well said, and a very logical and thorough examination of the current projector landscape.

I hope that projector manufacturers realize that the first one to come out with that "killer home theater projector" that resolves the current issues at an attractive price point will make a killing on sales of their unit.

Steps are being taken in the right directions, and it would appear that they are closing in on it. If not the Sharp 9000, maybe the Hitachi LCOS. If not the Hitachi, then maybe the Christie Digital. If not the Christie Digital...someone will surely step up at some point with a projector that's "all that"...and will find a lot of people like yourself very interested in taking their product home.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
on display. I saw it yesterday and it looked good. The guy there said the unit lists at $15k CDN and when I asked what the "real" price is, he said he could sell it for around $13k CDN--- nice guy! Now I learn through this forum that I should be able to get one in the $8k range. When will these guys learn that knowledge is available to everyone in the web world.

As I will be doing mostly DVD watching, the 16:9 format will work well for me. I agree with you on the DLP issues-- it's not for me.

I am strongly leaning toward the PLV-60.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I went through a similar thought process before deciding that digital projectors are just not quite there for me yet. Mabye in a couple of years. I got a nice 42" toshiba RPTV and am quite realieved to be done with the whole digital projector scene for a few years. As we all know the market will be totally diffrent then. I believe many of the current "Issues" will be worked out ( brightness, fill, rainbows, price ) to my satisfaction at that point.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you ever own a projector before going with the RPTV?

What I didn't, say, I guess, is that a) my room is very large, so a (relatively) small screen wouldn't doo from 12-14ft back. b) I cannot get a rear projector into my basement do to the constraints of my staircase (however, I have heard that Sony will build the projector in its location, at a cost, and c) coming from 120", I cannot ever consider going back.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
No projector for me yet. I figure once I have the proper space and $$ to invest I'll go that route. The room in question was small to begin with and viewing was between 6-10' Ceiling is a whopping 10' ( gotta love these old houses ). I was thinking NEX 150, but refuse to drop that kind of cash sight unseen. I would need a progressive player or HTPC to run the unit, ..... personally I know myself and I just don't have the extra $$ to keep sinking into add-on's for the projector ( that I know I would obsess over till I got them ... hey at least I'm honest ).

I'm figuring on building an extension to my house over the next 7 years, and at that point I'll keep a light controled room in mind for a projector ( Digital if they are better, CRT if the quality still is not there yet ). Probably keep the RPTV as long as it's picture is good. the projector will also help me keep as much space as possible in the new rec room without loosing several feet in the front to various equipment.

someday....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.